Dt Swiss 3 Pawl drive ring tool.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Just wondering if there is anyone around Melb / SE Melbourne has the tool for removing the drive ring on the 3 pawl hubs (370etc?) could i rent, buy or loan it for an hour???

Im 2 months into this project and thought i was finally home, then China decided to dig the knife in a little deeper.

((I bought all the stuff online 2 months ago; note to everyone, the chinese do not have a 3 pawl tool. They pretend, waste a shit load of your time and just send a pos version of the ratchet hub tool)).

surly someone has one of these tools gathering dust please please please?

Not like i can ride my newest bike anywhere fun anytime soon but still,i would really like to make this right!

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I've had success doing this in the past without the right tool. Get a piece of pine and turn/carve it down so it's about the diameter that covers the about 2/3 the depth of the teeth and give it a good tap too sink the teeth into the timber.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Deff like the sound of that hack, tho with the torque these lock rings are subjected to mtb riding i wouldnt expect a DT swiss drive ring to be undone with anything less then extreme force!

The 3 pawl one even moreso because of the shape of the teeth on the drive ring, to undo it the teeth would simply round out anything that isnt hardened steel.

This was what it took to undo the ratchet drive ring the other night (donor hub im using to convert the wheel on a new bike). Drive ring never stood a chance ;)

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Most people seem to struggle getting these undone with even up to 3 people. Many tails of all sorts of failures, broken hubs, tools, vices, collapsed benches etc.

First i tried much like how id remove a cassette, standing over upright wheel, one hand holding wheel from turning and other hand on a 450mm shifter. Nearly had a fooking hernia.

Did some more googling on tips for undoing the DT swiss drive rings... this method was the most popular and i back it 100% now. I wasnt worried, 400kg bench, super grade dawn vice and a 3.5m long heavy walled steep pipe. My grandma could have gotten it undone!

For the record i just stood in the middle of the pipe, i was honestly expecting the wheel/hub to explode.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Did you try putting the tool in the vice and sit the wheel flat on top, turning the wheel instead of the tool?

I did something similar with a really tight BB, tool in vice and used the bike frame as the lever. Worked a treat.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Did you try putting the tool in the vice and sit the wheel flat on top, turning the wheel instead of the tool?

I did something similar with a really tight BB, tool in vice and used the bike frame as the lever. Worked a treat.
Ah sorry yes i did that too after trying with the big fooking shifter. Also tried some gentle-ish but sharp taps on the shifter under tension with the hammer seen on the benchtop. After that i tried soaking it in penetrine and set about seeing if i had any sort of sockets that i could get over the tool so i could get out the rattlegun. Pondered welding a big nut on the end of the tool so i could use said rattlegun. While waiting for the penetrine i started googling for advice on getting it undone.

Apparently the DT swiss instructions for the tool say to put it in a vice and sit the wheel on top and with 2 people turn the wheel.

So i put the tool in the vice with aluminium soft jaws and sat the wheel in it and put as much force into it as i could rotating the wheel. I actually mangled the aluminium soft jaws in the vice and really starting thinking either spokes were going to rip out of the rim or the hubs going to explode!

Actually thought about The Duckmeister for a minute here - he built this wheel up for me / (rebuilt it with a new rim) but finally found peace and if it breaks it breaks.

Thus id had enough farking round and got serious, found some 50mm x8mm steel 90deg angle and replaced the soft jaws with that, sandwiched the tool inbetween the angle and clamped the vice down really bloody tight, got some of my 4x4 straps and a long bit of heavy pipe. Removed the disc brake then strapped the pipe in place, took a deep breath and just gently took hold of the pipe and just stepped forward and it went pop...!!! Was a bit anticlimactic but i was so bloody relieved. Probably would have really gone off like a gunshot if it wasnt for the penetrine maybe?

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I don't bother arsing about with soft jaws, the tool is hardened so I just bung it straight in the vice and wrench like fuck on the wheel. Only good thing about 29" wheels - more radius = more leverage.....:p

Think getting the drive ring out of a normal bike hub is hard, try getting one out of an e-bike hub......! o_O

Travis22

Likes Dirt
I don't bother arsing about with soft jaws, the tool is hardened so I just bung it straight in the vice and wrench like fuck on the wheel. Only good thing about 29" wheels - more radius = more leverage.....:p

Think getting the drive ring out of a normal bike hub is hard, try getting one out of an e-bike hub......! o_O
Haha, yeh im a bit pressy and this is still a chinese tool after all - granted a more expensive one said to be hardened high quality steel (and it is much beefier and heavier then the 2nd pos one i received inplace of the 3pawl one id ordered from a different seller).

Still, i was beginning to mar the tool where the big shifter was seated.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
I've got the proper DT tool in my kit at work, I could probably borrow it for a little while....... ;)
Name your price!!

The wheel im trying to upgrade is a 29er so thats good to hear, hopefully the 3 pawl drive ring will come out easier, deff dont want to break anything on it.

Done a whole lot less km’s on it too vs the donor wheel.