DT Swiss 54t Star Ratchet Kit

BT180

Max Pfaff
Anyone upgraded their DTs with the 54T Star Ratchet kit? Keen for better engagement, but heard these were prone to breaking teeth?

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Tempted to from my 18t but in no rush to.

Dibs your 36t if you upgrade (if you're currently on 36t ) :rolleyes:

More worth it if you're currently on 18t

BT180

Max Pfaff
Tempted to from my 18t but in no rush to.

Dibs your 36t if you upgrade (if you're currently on 36t ) :rolleyes:

More worth it if you're currently on 18t
This is the bit proving difficult. Thought I was on 18T but seen some things suggesting i have 36T. Will need to check the hubs.

LPG

likes thicc birds
This is the bit proving difficult. Thought I was on 18T but seen some things suggesting i have 36T. Will need to check the hubs.
You should be able to check by slowly backpedaling by hand a full revolution and count the clicks. Saves you taking the hub apart.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
If you have DT Swiss built wheels like XM or EX 1500 series, they'll be 36T, the 1700's will be 18T.

I've heard that the 54T are more prone to breaking too, but have never run them so can't speak from experience. I find 36T to be fine for everything I ride.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I9 have 120poe rated to 700nm. Just sayin.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

BT180

Max Pfaff
If you have DT Swiss built wheels like XM or EX 1500 series, they'll be 36T, the 1700's will be 18T.

I've heard that the 54T are more prone to breaking too, but have never run them so can't speak from experience. I find 36T to be fine for everything I ride.
I have OEM spec EX1501 Spline 1s from 2016. So most likely 36T? 54T a worthy upgrade?

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I've done it on a couple of sets... worth will depend on where/ how you ride. If do a lot of techy type climbing the higher POE is worth it.

BT180

Max Pfaff
I've done it on a couple of sets... worth will depend on where/ how you ride. If do a lot of techy type climbing the higher POE is worth it.
Yep, I ride a lot of rocky/tech climbs. I hear and feel that slight delay in grabbing on descents too, when i'm trying to put in a hot one. What's your experience with the longevity?

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got 54t and 36t, both a worthwhile upgrade from 18t but there's not much between the 54 and 36 when riding apart from the noise. I only got the 54 because there was very little difference in price.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Stick with the 36t. The difference between 18t to 36t is supposed to be noticeably different than from 36t to 54t.

I've put a 54t in my mates DT Swiss 240 / Enves..... so.... meh... I don't see much difference compare to the jump from 18t to 36t.

Fwiw, other mate bought DT Swiss 1501 and the had 18t standard .. pretty shitty for a $1200 Wheelset.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Yep, I ride a lot of rocky/tech climbs. I hear and feel that slight delay in grabbing on descents too, when i'm trying to put in a hot one. What's your experience with the longevity?
No issues, don't know of anyone that has other than what's posted on forums.....

Mattl

Likes Dirt
I ran the 54t for 6 months on my old bike and it has almost instant engagement & makes a crazy buzzing sound that is almost louder than a hope freewheel . I removed the star ratchet a week ago as I was going to put in in the DT hub on my new bike & it looks like new with no damage to the teeth. Unfortunately the freewheel on my new bike is the DT one with pawls so if anyone wants a 54t ratchet for $100 posted get in touch.

Mattl

Likes Dirt
I'd be wary of the no brand 54t ratchets that are being sold for half the price of the original Bontrager items too as with the teeth being this small you would need it to be machined from high grade steel to be durable. Maybe the replicas are the ones that are failing.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I have OEM spec EX1501 Spline 1s from 2016. So most likely 36T? 54T a worthy upgrade?
Not sure about 2016 as I think the new series Spline came out in 2017 which is what I have. That said, the 2016 DT Swiss Spline Techbook says that the EX1501 has a 36T ratchet already. Easy to check: lift the rear of the bike, spin the rear wheel slowly in the forward direction one revolution and count the ratchet clicks. If it's only 18 clicks then a 36T or 54T upgrade is going to feel a lot nicer.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Not sure about 2016 as I think the new series Spline came out in 2017 which is what I have. That said, the 2016 DT Swiss Spline Techbook says that the EX1501 has a 36T ratchet already. Easy to check: lift the rear of the bike, spin the rear wheel slowly in the forward direction one revolution and count the ratchet clicks. If it's only 18 clicks then a 36T or 54T upgrade is going to feel a lot nicer.
Cheers, will do the test and work out what i have.