DT Swiss 54t Star Ratchet Kit

redbruce

Eats Squid
So I did the trick of slowly rotating my wheel forward and counting the clicks. Seems I have 34T.

Is the consensus that an upgrade to 54T isn't really worth it?
I have upgraded two hubs, both started as 18. One went 18->36 because that was all that was available at the time and the second 18->54

Because I had the bits I did 18->36->54 on one hub. First jump was very noticeable and an big improvement, second jump barely noticeable.

Now jumping between the two hubs really not much difference between them.

If you have 36 I'd leave it there.

All mine are OEM. I have seen an aftermarket 54 and not the same quality of finish (dont know about materials).

BT180

Max Pfaff
So confused now haha Seems cases for upgrading and not upgrading. Hopefully you can see this clip, but listen out and you can hear the 'twangs', which are what i think are delays in engagement - https://www.dropbox.com/s/4cf7f7o63r03r17/Engage.mp4?dl=0 This is mainly what i'm trying to avoid. Help in climbing would be a bonus.

You can hear it 4 or 5 times, especially on at the very end.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
At least noobs can be persuaded to pull over if they hear you coming.
That entirely depends on the grade of noob we're talking about, I had a decent stack on one of BT's local trails when a rider was standing on the top of a drop just after a blind corner scoping the landing, my hub (I9) would have been screaming as you need to carry a bit of pace to clear the jump, but with him standing in the middle of the A line I went to go down the roll over B line to the left...Fark...his bike is lying across that whole line as well. I ended up choosing the little known and even lesser taken C line through the middle, bars clipped a tree in the air and somehow managed to land it with only casing the landing horribly instead of catastrophically. Once I pick myself up and dusted myself off check the bike over (only damage was a busted dropper lever) I tried to explain to him the error of his ways he then proceed to give me a serve about being a reckless hooligan and that I needed to slow down. I was both speechless and furious at the same time, I had to just ride off to avoid saying something I would later regret.

Rant over.

TL/DR Noobs just gunna noob.

BT180

Max Pfaff
That entirely depends on the grade of noob we're talking about, I had a decent stack on one of BT's local trails when a rider was standing on the top of a drop just after a blind corner scoping the landing, my hub (I9) would have been screaming as you need to carry a bit of pace to clear the jump, but with him standing in the middle of the A line I went to go down the roll over B line to the left...Fark...his bike is lying across that whole line as well. I ended up choosing the little known and even lesser taken C line through the middle, bars clipped a tree in the air and somehow managed to land it with only casing the landing horribly instead of catastrophically. Once I pick myself up and dusted myself off check the bike over (only damage was a busted dropper lever) I tried to explain to him the error of his ways he then proceed to give me a serve about being a reckless hooligan and that I needed to slow down. I was both speechless and furious at the same time, I had to just ride off to avoid saying something I would later regret.

Rant over.

Jeez, which bit was that?

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn

Rant over.

Your problem is your start to your explanation didn't start with "Why is your fucking bike lying on the trail you fuckwit??" That sets the pace for the rest of the conversation.

nzhumpy

Jeez, which bit was that?
My Narra, not sure of the trail names, but was about half way down past the fire trail after you exit Rampage , maybe King Brown.

Your problem is your start to your explanation didn't start with "Why is your fucking bike lying on the trail you fuckwit??" That sets the pace for the rest of the conversation.
I was sorely tempted, but thought I would give him the benefit of the doubt seeing as he looked new to sport with his shiny new bike and helmet.

Last edited:

DMan

My Narra, not sure of the trail names, but was about half way down past the trail after you exit Rampage , maybe King Brown.

I was sorely tempted, but thought I would give him the benefit of the doubt seeing as he looked new to sport with his shiny new bike and helmet.
yep, I could probably live with it if nothing was broken. But I certainly would have let him have it if my bike got damaged and it was his fault. Even if it wasn't intentional on his part. Fuck being given a serve.

nzhumpy

This story makes me wonder if the benefits of a sound beating would have been more valuable than the benefit of the doubt.
Yup, and that's why I decided it's best to extricate myself from the situation.

Ah yep, know the spot. Quite a few new riders around Narra recently.
This wasnt even recent, it was maybe 8 months or so ago, half the reason I bought a Switchblade.

yep, I could probably live with it if nothing was broken. But I certainly would have let him have it if my bike got damaged and it was his fault. Even if it wasn't intentional on his part. Fuck being given a serve.
See above, anger was rising rapidly, good thing was when I got home and looked for parts I discovered that the Wolftooth remote is designed to fail in that spot and the replacement was $11 from MTB Direct, so had the replacement by Tuesday...It did mean I had to spend another $90 to get free shipping though ;-)

Last edited:

DMan

Yup, and that's why I decided it's best to extricate myself from the situation.

This wasnt even recently, it was maybe 8 months or so ago, half the reason I bought a Switchblade.

See above, anger was rising rapidly, good thing was when I got home and looked for parts I discovered that the Wolftooth remote is designed to fail in that spot and the replacement was $11 from MTB Direct, so had the replacement by Tuesday...It did mean I had to spend another $90 to get free shipping though ;-)
Lol. Happy ending then and very entrepreneurial of you while you were at it!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Thread dig... as I am computer chair ridden for a few days, drugged up with a full time tab open on Rotorburn... beats watching TV for entertainment ;)

As some are aware, I did the 60t Chi upgrade a few weeks back but got a bit wary with the talk on here of failures so the genuine 54t DT Swiss kit was ordered and arrived today.

Interesting read on pedal kickback and when its actually an advantage to have a lower POE or at least justification for DT swiss to supply hubs with a 18t rather than a higher tooth star ratchet on stock hubs.

My video got a thumping from international searches over the weekend, probably lockdown people looking to spend cash online. I may be steering people towards a failing star ratchet.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Thread dig... as I am computer chair ridden for a few days, drugged up with a full time tab open on Rotorburn... beats watching TV for entertainment ;)

As some are aware, I did the 60t Chi upgrade a few weeks back but got a bit wary with the talk on here of failures so the genuine 54t DT Swiss kit was ordered and arrived today.

Interesting read on pedal kickback and when its actually an advantage to have a lower POE or at least justification for DT swiss to supply hubs with a 18t rather than a higher tooth star ratchet on stock hubs.

My video got a thumping from international searches over the weekend, probably lockdown people looking to spend cash online. I may be steering people towards a failing star ratchet.

View attachment 374156
Say that it skipped and you blew out your knee and had to have surgery - watch the view numbers soar then! :p

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas

View attachment 374156
I didn't realise you were from Northern Ireland!