DT Swiss special grease substitute

cogs19

Likes Bikes
I don't reckon I would go out of my way to buy it anyway, but even if I did it is not exactly easy to come by at the moment.

Does anybody service their star ratchet and if so do they use the dedicated grease or is there a suitable substitute?

I have a tub of Sram butter so basically I'm hoping this is what people use in lieu of the real thing.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I mixed some Sram butter and Pedros last time I pulled them apart.
Seems to work fine but I will ptobably get the official grease one day.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I've only ever used the DT grease. The tiny tub lasts ages as you don't need much. I've got 4 dt start ratchet wheelsets and it took me at leasy a couple of years to go through a tube.

That said, grease is grease, isn't it?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Been using Finish Line wet lube in Chris King hubs and others for years. This recommendation came from the internet years back as an alternative to Chris Kings special grease.

On occasion where a different brand hub gets/needs serviced like TUNE, DT, Hope ect, I use the wet lube and usually smear a small amount of grease around the ratchet.

Might be luck but I've never had any hub failures or repairs... nothing to do with my alternative lube approach but it doesn't seem to cause any additional problems.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I've done a few thousand klms on my 36 tooth and only used marine grease. Just gave it a once over since it's raining here and it looks brand new.

Binaural

Eats Squid
I use slick honey, which is apparently the same stuff. It works great, but is noticeably louder if you put on a very thin layer as recommended.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I use Slick Honey as well, 'tis Good Shit.

That said, grease is grease, isn't it?
No, some are stickier than others. Using a too-sticky grease can retard pawl engagement (especially traditional sticky-outy pawls with fine springs, not so bad with star ratchets) and cause them to slip.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I use Slick Honey as well, 'tis Good Shit.

No, some are stickier than others. Using a too-sticky grease can retard pawl engagement (especially traditional sticky-outy pawls with fine springs, not so bad with star ratchets) and cause them to slip.
Yeah should have added this ^ wouldn't recommend marine grease with pawls it's going to end in tears.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
last time I rebuilt a DT ratchet I took some Nulon Lithium & Teflon grease in bog standard NLGI 2 grade (most common grade you will find) and added some esso multi purpose oil till it was thin enough. few 1000 km later, still fine. just guessed as far as mix ratio.

You will definitely know about it when the grease is too thick, you'll have a slipping ratchet that sounds like grinding gears in a car gearbox.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
I use Lithium grease which is a bit thicker than the recommended stuff. It makes the hub virtually silent for ultimate stealth points. I've never had an issue with it skipping, and have about 20,000km on DT ratchet hubs.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Dumonde tech Pro X grease. Is the approved grease for I9, P321, Stans and you guessed it Dt Swiss. Your lbs should be able to order it in under the Stans moniker. Or online from Bike24.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk