DT Swiss v Spank Wheelsets

Petero

Likes Dirt
Hey all,

Considering getting a set of 29er hoops for my genius +. Ideally looking around the $500 mark.

Have two contenders at the moment in the price range, I have listed main differences/specs;
DT Swiss E1700 - 350 hubs - 25mm ID rim - 18T ratchet freehub - single butted spokes
Spank Oozy Trail 345 - oozy hubs - 30mm ID rim - 3 pawl (30POE) freehub - triple butted spokes

Any opinions or experiences appreciated.

Z

Zaf

You can't make a wrong choice, so flip a coin or go for which graphics or appearance you prefer.
I'm a big fan of the DT Swiss stuff, so I'd personally go with that, even with the smaller rim ID, the EX471's I'm running at the moment have the same internal and they're brilliant with 2.3-2.5 Maxxis tyres on them, nice and stable and bombproof.

A mate has some Spanks and they top quality finish and just as sturdy.

Binaural

Eats Squid
I'm a big fan of the DT Swiss stuff
x2. Have lots of good experiences with the DT Swiss, and I have had a pair of E1700 wheels in the 27.5 size that I've been happily beating up for the last year. I'm pretty big and heavy if that's helpful.

One little caution: if you get a wheel equipped with the ratchet engagement mechanism, make sure you service it at the recommended intervals. I once cracked the tip off the tooth of one of the star mechanisms of a DT Swiss hub with loads of miles, and this acted as a roller that caused the engagement to slip with little resistance.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Agree with the others. DT stuff is awesome. My EX1501s have been copping a hiding and still going strong. I hear the Spank wheels are great too, just not sure if the hubs are up to DT standard?

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
I've got 26" Oozy Trail 295's and they're great. Been straight and stiff for 6 months. Taken a bit of a beating with no issues.

Spank customer support is great (had some questions about the wheels and Mike responded promptly)

Only gripe is the tubeless tape it comes with, just use Stans.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Although I'm a fan of DT wheels I'd still go the Spanks for the higher POE. My DT Swiss had 36 POE and they were great. But I tried some Eastons that were 18 and I hated how long it felt for the hub to engage on techy climbs. If the price is the same I'd go the higher POE and the wider rim

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I’ve been on 27.5 Spank Spoon 32’s for a bit over a year now.
XL frame plus nearly 100 kgs of enthusiastic gorilla hangin’ off the bike.

They are very tough wheels indeed. Still straight after a few decent ‘incidents’.

Hubs have the freewheel buzz...but not as loud as some aftermarket hubs.

The Oozys have a good reputation too - one of the Derby/Vertigo guys reckons his old set was unbreakable under repeated bike park & trail abuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evad

Likes Bikes
Although I'm a fan of DT wheels I'd still go the Spanks for the higher POE. My DT Swiss had 36 POE and they were great. But I tried some Eastons that were 18 and I hated how long it felt for the hub to engage on techy climbs. If the price is the same I'd go the higher POE and the wider rim
Just switch to a higher poe star ratchet, takes 20 seconds and keep the 18s for a spare.

I've got 2 29er bikes one with a set of DT Swiss XM1501's in 25mm and another with Spank Oozy 345's and cannot fault either set of wheels. I'm pretty sure the DT's are abit lighter but other than that they both do the job great :)