Dura-ace/xtr Chain Cn7701 ?????

Rat

Likes Dirt
I use "Finish Line cross country Wet" I tried their dry lube but it doesn't seem to work as well or last as long.

I know people can't really answer about the degreaser as I don't know what's in it. But AFAIK spray on degreasers should be ok, they seem to be fairly commonly used when I search google for "mtb chain cleaning".

O.K. your starting to talk me round with the connecting link :)

So generally do you put one connecting link in the chain for cleaning removal, and carry another spare connecting link for repairs on the trail in case of a broken chain ?

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
Rat said:
I use "Finish Line cross country Wet" I tried their dry lube but it doesn't seem to work as well or last as long.

I know people can't really answer about the degreaser as I don't know what's in it. But AFAIK spray on degreasers should be ok, they seem to be fairly commonly used when I search google for "mtb chain cleaning".

O.K. your starting to talk me round with the connecting link :)

So generally do you put one connecting link in the chain for cleaning removal, and carry another spare connecting link for repairs on the trail in case of a broken chain ?
Yep.

You should buy a new connecting link each time you change the chain, so you end up with spares.

I carry a spare joinging link incase it breaks, 2 or 3 shimano joining pins, 4 links of chain, chain breaker and pliers to remove the end of the pin. I carry all that in a little pounch in my camel back when DH'ing or XC'ing.

If you chain snaps it is better to replace with proper chain and pins, i wouldn't want to run any more joining links then is required, they are the weakest link in the chain.

Rat

Likes Dirt
Cave Dweller said:
i wouldn't want to run any more joining links then is required, they are the weakest link in the chain.
Well wouldn't no more than required = none ? As you say they are the weakest link.

ATM I clean my old chain on the bike and don't use a connecting link. I have upgraded my chain for a better/stronger one so I hopefully don't break it while racing, not that I ever had any trouble with the old one. Yet everyone is recommending that I put a weak link in it on purpose prior to it breaking.

Ahhhhh, now I'm talking myself out of a connecting link again :D LOL

I think maybe I'm beyond help, woot I'm a teapot ;)

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This thread has come along at a great time for me.
I just minced a SRAM 9spd chain and have bought (but not yet installed) a Shimano HG to replace it. Any idea if I can put the SRAM quick link into the shimano chain? chain width and pin size the same?

wombat

Lives in a hole
Cave Dweller said:
they are the weakest link in the chain.
It's funny that you mention this actually.
Am I the only one who has broken plenty of chains, but never broken a joining link?

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
wombat said:
It's funny that you mention this actually.
Am I the only one who has broken plenty of chains, but never broken a joining link?
I have never snapped an xtr chain but it did come undone at the connex link. I always check my chains for stretch and change before they get bad, so that is probably why i haven't broken one yet.

I could only find half of the connex link when it happened (that took a good 10 mins of looking on the ground) and it didn't look broken. My assumption is that it just came undone. I was going through a very rocky section at that stage, it is possible that the chain got slack enough that it went backwards against itself and disengaged.

Anyway, it has only happened once and i am still happy to use them, but i would only use 1 per chain.

udi

swiss cheese
I've been using a KMC joiner link for the last 6 months or more, and it's nice because it's not a funky shape like the Wippermann... it's the same shape as a normal link. You do need pliers to unclip it though, not sure if the wip and sram are tool free?

In the 6 months i've used it I haven't had any issues whatsoever - no breakages, no coming undone, nothing. My friend who uses the same one did have it come undone on one run but I suspect it might have been an install issue, or just the same as what CD mentioned - going through really rocky section etc.

Rat - I think the biggest advantage is how easy it is to take off and clean, and because it's so easy you'll do it more, and extend the life of the chain. A clean drivetrain also = smoother and crisper shifts, and less likely for stuff to go wrong. I am also VERY pessimistic about getting ANYTHING on my discs so I would hate to have to clean the chain on the bike - taking it off means you completely eliminate that issue.

camo - Yes, the sram joiner link will work fine with the shimano chain. If any dramas, grab a KMC - $6 or so.