DVO Sapphire

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Has anyone got experience with one of these forks? There's not that much information out there on them. The current model is 32mm stanchions, with the new model going to be 34. My gut feeling is that noone bought the DVO line that they were stiff enough at 32 and they've bumped it to 34 to be in line with competition moreso than anything else.

Have contacted the distributor, and they've been helpful from technical standpoint, but after feedback from anyone that may have ridden them. Particularly how they might fare for anyone over 90kgs and how that changes when you have them at full travel vs 120mm.

Currently weighing up a few options, and just saw that these are on special at the moment.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Yeah, its pretty much the only written review, and a few posts on mtbr.

Have been looking a bit more and found this video:

And here from DVO with it being ridden:

redbruce

Eats Squid
Have you read this article? https://singletrackworld.com/2018/02/dvo-sapphire-suspension-fork-review/

Reviewer says "I needn’t have worried about the 32mm stanchions, as I fell no discernible difference between the green DVO chassis and the slightly larger 35mm legs of the Pike it has replaced."

Sounds promising.
Andi Sykes doesn't state his weight but looks to be <90kg.

If 32mm stanchions are stiff enough (and appears so in the Bryson YT video) the wall thickness must be significant, with weight consequences (220gm) although some of that will also be associated with the high level of adjustability (so tempting in and of itself).
Going to 34mm should hopefully reduce some weight.

Last edited:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Bruce DVO claim 1880G
When the guy in the vid put it on the scales it weighed a bit over 2kg. Based on that weight, it's probably a very solid fork. I've got a Manitou Nixon @ 140mm on my offroad tandem and it only has 32mm stanchions, weighs 2kg and is an amazingly stiff fork (although a lot of that might be due to the 20mm hex-lock axle).

madstace

Likes Dirt
When the guy in the vid put it on the scales it weighed a bit over 2kg. Based on that weight, it's probably a very solid fork. I've got a Manitou Nixon @ 140mm on my offroad tandem and it only has 32mm stanchions, weighs 2kg and is an amazingly stiff fork (although a lot of that might be due to the 20mm hex-lock axle).
Seems a bit disappointing given the Diamond is meant to weigh 2.1kg. I was hoping they'd be bringing us a lightweight 160mm fork with pike-level stiffness with the new 34mm stanchions, seems they won't be if the 32 140mm is only a tad lighter :(

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Its funny how the Sapphire gets marketed as a light weight fork still - people seem to use them for XC. Will have to see what the new model brings.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Bumping this because its back on my radar for a new build.

The new fork received a complete chassis overhaul that utilizes 34mm stanchions to keep up with today’s demanding riding standards. A slightly modified air spring provides an extremely supple beginning stroke, improved mid-stroke support, and a progressive end for control on the big hits. Combined with the proven damping features and characteristics of the Diamond, this is the new standard.
DVO claim 1.9 kg, and its around $1200

Would you go for this or a Diamond on a mid-travel trail bike?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I just picked one up on clearance came in under $700 delivered. Only 2 rides so far and still getting it dialled in but it feels great. Check DVO to see if they have any left on clearance. If your in Canberra you can take it for a spin if you like.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
They're all gone :( and that's the older model (32mm) rather than the 34. But yeah, keen to check out anyway :)

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Nah I got one of the 34's, sucks they are all gone. Will be heading up Stromlo on Saturday morning if you want to have a go otherwise I'm near Majura pines so could catch up most evenings there.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Thank link that @shiny provided - select 27.5 and you get the $675 price. @Litenbror is that actually AUD??
That's my question as well, that'll look purdy on the front of the PP
I got Sapphire 34 D1 29 boost for $399 US + 30 shipping. Haven't checked the exact cost on the card but was under $700AUD but not by much. They were the late 2018 model but almost no difference to the current ones.