Dyna-Sys Chain replacements - non Shimano

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
By my reckoning, the new 10s Shimano gear has probably been on the market for 6 or 8 months now. I'm guessing it will soon be time where we start replacing chains and cassettes, and the inevitable question about cross-compatibility and non-standard replacements will start to come up.

So I'll get the ball rolling. I've got a chain that needs replacing, and I'm wondering what my options are.

Options as I see it:

Original HG-X chain
Shimano road 10s chain
SRAM PC1090 or similar
Connex Wipperman
KMC 10s

Who's done what, and what has worked and what hasn't?

redbruce

Eats Squid
Given quality chains are of similar cost, and in my experience Shimano chains work best with Shimano drive trains (in particular cassettes), why go elsewhere?

tegski

Likes Dirt
Original chain lasted about 100km before breaking.:(
This was replaced (during race) by LBS with an Ultegra 10speed - worked fine with a sram joining link.
Noticed a crooked link in this chain…inserted a wipperman link to try it - worked fine.
Then replaced whole lot with a Sram 10 spd - this is currently working well too.
I could not tell any difference between any of them on the XT 10 speed drive train.
Why change? Because I like to occasionally take the whole chain off and chuck it in the Aldi ultrasonic cleaner for that sparkly new look! :)

krisko

Likes Dirt
Shimano Ultegra 10sp since the original chain gave up (under 200k)
2000k later and the Ultegra is doing well with KMC 10 speed link.

Landon

Likes Dirt
10 Speed Chains

The XTR 10 speed chain sounds cool with the directional plates, but I've not used one yet. I'm currently using a 1091R which has revised, and slimmer, outer plates on both sides compared to the older 1090 series chains. I can't say I noticed a great improvement in shifting compared to the 1090.

From measuring a new XTR 10 speed chain and a new 1091, I found the width of the XTR chain to be 0.18mm wider across the inner plate / roller section. Still, a black SRAM Powerlock will fit the XTR chain. I've had great success with these links even after removing and installing the same link many times. I'd like to measure a Dura-Ace chain soon to compare.