E Bike at Cross Country Endurance Event

Gripo

Eats Squid
Are you feeling ok Gripo? I feel there's some underlying issue here. Do you suffer from Xenophobia? Or just deeply habitual?
All normal...I'm a Qlder, live in the hills, play banjo, listen to christian sermons on AM radio and a swinging voter between LNP and Australia Party...

There's no lefty view on motorized bicycles for me..."taken our trails"

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
the sh!t will hit the fan when someone on a 'human powered bicycle' or human powered walker is hit by inexperienced guy on 'motorized' vehicle (yes bicycle with motor is no longer a bicycle, it's a motorbike) on trails remembering motorized vehicle has no reg and no insurance and is capable of much higher speeds, (don't forget plonker on his e-bike who learned to ride playing video games).

as is the case with every other vehicle - there is registration of some kind for legal protection of others, liability.

what that will expose is the loop hole in the law allowing motorized vehicles into our parklands, trails etc.

this was the case with petrol powered motorbikes years ago having head ons etc with serious injury and no protection for the rider or the people they hit. eg. (a quadriplegic cost lots of money to fund)
Like mobility scooters?

No other human powered event has a motor category
Masturbation racing sometimes involves vibrators.

All normal...I'm a Qlder, live in the hills, play banjo, listen to christian sermons on AM radio and a swinging voter between LNP and Australia Party...

There's no lefty view on motorized bicycles for me..."taken our trails"
*Takin'

Farkin' Queenslanders.

Last edited:

jackthelad23

Likes Bikes
Ebike madness

Hi Guys,

I'm after some opinions on this topic. On the weekend an event called the Flight Centre Epic (http://www.cycleepic.com/) was held here in QLD with a race held over a 92km track. This year was my first year doing it and frankly it pushed me to my absolute limit and I have no idea how I managed to get to the finish line.

Anyway, along the way I was getting stuck behind riders on E bikes on the descents and at the time I was unaware they were on E bikes. After passing them on the descents and making me way to the next climb I am then passed by them and only realise that they were on E bikes.

Now I'll be honest, I've never been a fan of e bikes but if it gets people outdoors and being active then whatever that's cool but is it wrong to think that riding an E bike in an endurance event (this one took me 7 hours) just feels completely wrong/hollow and cheating? I know it was completely disheartening to see these guys just cruising past pedalling with ease with their music blaring when at the time I was suffering massively from cramp and could barely turn the pedals.

I've probably come into the situation with a biased viewpoint but happy to be swayed...
i have epilepsy and cerebral palsy, a perfect candidate for an Ebike, i'd prefer to earn my turns, and be bagged by my mates, for being slowest up or down the hills. its a part of my rides, i don't care to just pull a lever to go up faster than my freinds , just my 2 cents

toodles

Wheel size expert
Every time someone calls an e-bike a motorbike, the pro-electric community come back with their "pedal assist" rubbish like it somehow means you don't have a motor assisting you. Once e-bikes in their current format are accepted (if they ever are) the next obvious step will be increasing the power to pedal ratios. How many kW can you gain from an electric motor before it stops "assisting" you and starts "motorbiking" you?

It's a bloody motorbike, just a silent one that can also run in pedal mode. Stop kidding yourselves. In a few years there will be 2kW pedal assist bikes and the same arguments will be put forward that they're "just pedal assist".

As for racing, obviously they shouldn't be in the same class - imagine entering a marathon on a Segway? But I'd go so far as to say they shouldn't be on course at the same time. The difference in pace means they stuff up the flow of natural riders and cause a stop-start wave problem.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
There was no category for ebikes. Only age related categories. We follow mtba rules for events in general but I've not seen anything specific to acknowledging ebikes. Our Rule of thumb though says if you are advantaged by a motor then all you can win is a good time!

You coming?
Yes I was, so were my boys... nek minnit, its the Murray Bridge 24hr Pedal prix weekend and apparently someone had volunteered to do pit marshall. I had put my hand up several months ago when #1 son committed to do Pedal Prix, so its daddy duties instead.

Is there a pattern of the date thats its on each year ? I need to get more organised next year, thinking i'm doing races just to have the chair kicked from under me.

Renovations and kids are killing me this year, got the AMBC race this weekend, Pedal Prix 24 next weekend and the Taekwondo Nationals in Bendigo in about 3 weeks, all kids stuff... upside to that is 5 nights in Bright after Bendigo to ride some trails there, then maybe a detour to You Yangs and Forrest on the way home.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Yes I was, so were my boys... nek minnit, its the Murray Bridge 24hr Pedal prix weekend and apparently someone had volunteered to do pit marshall. I had put my hand up several months ago when #1 son committed to do Pedal Prix, so its daddy duties instead.

Is there a pattern of the date thats its on each year ? I need to get more organised next year, thinking i'm doing races just to have the chair kicked from under me.

Renovations and kids are killing me this year, got the AMBC race this weekend, Pedal Prix 24 next weekend and the Taekwondo Nationals in Bendigo in about 3 weeks, all kids stuff... upside to that is 5 nights in Bright after Bendigo to ride some trails there, then maybe a detour to You Yangs and Forrest on the way home.
Bugrit! This is our tenth anniversary!

Generally we try for the first weekend of the Victorian school holidays...each and every year.

Ideate

This type of action that the OP has experienced is what I would have expected, why on earth would anyone want to compete with an electric assisted bike against non assisted bike in the first place.
Yes, you're right here m8.

BTW I've ridden a few ebikes like the Specialized Turbo Levo, even the owner claimed to have problems in tight corners.
Let's get something straight. I am listening and understand what you're saying but your points are mostly invalid.

Old mate Aaron Chase doesn't seem to have issues in tight corners.

Doug from the Cog Bike Cafe doesn't seem to have problems either..

[video=youtube;BjiTen1QZx4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjiTen1QZx4[/video]

I don't have problems in tight corners on the Spit-e but I don't like riding that sort of thing going up hill anyway. Wait a second... Maybe it could be to do with the person riding the bike???? The PEOPLE again!??! I'm not disagreeing there's an obvious 7-10kg weight disadvantage in certain situations but again.. your point is.. what the hell is your point again? Ebike riders need to be registered because they give you problems in tight corners?? No wait. You can only have an ebike if you NEED one (must be disabled) AND you shouldn't be allowed to ride on trails with tight corners??

If you're going to try this discrimination thing, I used to ride most likely before you were even born 30 and more years ago in the same parks that are now dedicated to MTB with motorbikes. From a few bad actions from other people and not myself they've now been band, I've accepted that there's idiots around and these things happen for a reason.
On top of all this you've also resorted to condescending, patronising, superiority. I was hoping for more conversation like this when I posted my Spit-e but unfortunately no one took the bait so I'm happy to oblige now. Things happen because people like to watch the world burn.

What I'm trying to tell you in basic is that the general speeds of an e-bike aren't suited to most of the older style trails and when you introduce a lot of traffic it ups the chances of more collisions.
Two things to this..

Pedal assist ebikes have little focus on speed. Yes you can buy a Stealth or strap a 6000w washing machine motor to your bottom bracket but I'm not talking about those types of ebikes and I fully agree that they don't belong on mountain bike trails. The ebikes like the Pivot Shuttle, Merida eOne-Sixty and Specialized Levo however are simply mountain bikes with a sprinkle of Cadel Evans in the drive trail for those thigh burning fireroads and challenging trail climbs. Everything else is completely the same so by your argument, if ebikes are not suited to older style trails then NO modern day mountain bike is suited to older style trails. Newer bikes go faster too don't they? There's arguably more uptake also so more people at shuttle days and on the trail in general? Today's bikes have more grip when climbing and 72t cassettes (faster?) etc. So what's the difference?

Second thing.. Traffic is definitely a bitch. Shuttle days can be hectic as anyone here will know. But everyone usually gets along and for the most part the faster more experienced riders encourage and challenge less skilled riders to progress.. it's a nice warm fuzzy community type thing (sometimes). So again, what do ebikes specifically have to do with more traffic and collisions? Might it be to do MORE with people and their trail sense?

It's bad enough with this race mentality on my local trails with normal mtbs let alone introducing large groups of people on electrical assisted bikes, from what I've experienced you virtually spin your legs and you get to the top of the climb like it never happened. This bike claimed to be 60% assist on max setting, when you get to the top of the trail there's no reason to even rest. This gap where people normally rest gives people a chance to get up the trails in a group before the other group descends. The trails sort of self regulate themselves. There's many more issues that will be introduced if they become in plaque proportions on the trails and like I said there's no one out there that's going to check that they're regulated.
Come on m8.. In another one of Doug's short videos you can see him "virtually spinning" just like everyone else except you're half right.. By the time he reached the top he probably wasn't as exhausted. WHAT A REVELATION!??!?! Do you think he said.. "see ya later, I'm dropping in while you fuck wits take a 5 minute smoko. I plan to introduce gaps in the variability of descending riders and to disrupt and unbalance the flow of this trail."

It just seems to me that you're just upset and don't want people to enjoy something that you can't. Or you're upset people have the potential to have more fun than you? Traffic maybe a legitimate point when ebikes become more affordable to the masses but that's what's happening now isn't it? Aldi just had a special on $300 29"ers?? I can't wait to go to the Youies next weekend to see them all patching their tubes in the middle of the track.

Also collisions are not subject to ebikes. Collisions happen because of people, lack of experience and accidents.

Edit: Where can I see this Masturbation racing? I wish to make an analysis on whether a vibrator would give an advantage or not.. ? Racing against someone with an ebike advantage would piss me off.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

Bugrit! This is our tenth anniversary!

Generally we try for the first weekend of the Victorian school holidays...each and every year.
From past observations and involvements at Murray Bridge it does seem to be a regular clash of dates.
It was like... Yeah of course I'll be there and help out, Marshall and whatever else... Im a cyclist, I do cycling things.

Dammit... there goes a race that I haven't done in 3 years due to the Simpson, was really looking forward to the Coomie 3.

ozzybmx

Here's 2 points I got from a chat with some big players in the MTB game.

They said...

1) People who are time poor, can cover 40km in 1 hour rather than 20km.

2) There will be twice as many people riding bikes as they now 'can'

That's 4 times the wear on trails if they are right. But regardless of that, my only concern is how we will continue to get access at the rate we are getting it when the uneducated hear there are motors in bikes.

Only 250w... there are bikes out there right now with 500w and others over 1000w.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Noooooooo! Ebike thread 2.0... C'mon Hyena, defend yourself!

What was OP taking about again?

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
I saw the ebikers out there 1 guy and 2 women. Women looked like they were feeling good the dude with the music was suffering.

My initial thought was WTF ebikes at a endurance race and still stand by that. There would be nothing more frustrating than have someone with a motor pass you on a climb then to hold you up on the down. It is different to being passed by a very fit less confident rider at least you can appreciate they passed you with fitness.

A simple no climbing passes rule would possibly remove alot of angst