E Bike chains

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Sorry to be off topic, but whats the best chain measurement tool, is it worth just checking weekly?
Park cc-2. Check monthly and rotate chains. Ie when chain gets to 0.5 wear, put it aside and pit new chain on. Repeat until you have 4-6 chains with 0.5 wear. Put on first chain and use until 0.75 wear, repeat. You can get years and thousands of extra kms out of a drivetrain doing this.

https://www.mountainbikesdirect.com...Mp5Kk3G2pGUBxE8kq11cIPIrpeqFDXiAaAmh4EALw_wcB

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
5-6 days a week here, mountain biking is cheap. Unless you're me and spend way to much money on "upgrades". Chains and cassettes aren't something I have to change too often. If you change your chains before they get to .75 you'll get years out of your cassettes riding multiple times a week.

What's an XT chain worth these days? One of those every 6-8 months and 10 mins to swap it out
600kms from a dropper post and it needs a new cartridge, about 200kms out of some rear tyres if I'm lucky and for ever spending time on fixing creaks and servicing. Crack a carbon frame and that's the best of $3000 gone there and that's if all your old parts can be transferred to the new frame. If I had to pay a bikeshop it would have been a very costly exercise.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Park cc-2. Check monthly and rotate chains. Ie when chain gets to 0.5 wear, put it aside and pit new chain on. Repeat until you have 4-6 chains with 0.5 wear. Put on first chain and use until 0.75 wear, repeat. You can get years and thousands of extra kms out of a drivetrain doing this.
Highjacking here, but how do you check cassettes aside from eyballing?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I just run a new chain & if it doesn't get along with the cassette, swap the cassette as well.

It's hard to know when a cassette needs to be swapped out.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I just run a new chain & if it doesn't get along with the cassette, swap the cassette as well.

It's hard to know when a cassette needs to be swapped out.
Mountain bike cassettes don't last like road cassettes I've found. The dirt seems to chew them up pretty fast.

Oddjob

Tired cassettes wearing you down?!
Chain's about to snap and you just replaced it?!
Drivetrain not shifting as crisply as it used to!?
Can't attract a partner because your bike won't go anymore?!

Do any of these sound like you?!

Gates belt drives generally last about twice as long as a high quality chain in similar conditions, and the cogs they run on never wear out or need lubrication. Further, a Pinion gearbox only requires 80mL of mineral oil once a year OR every 10,000km.

The results are real!!
You forgot the bit about Gates belts snapping for no apparent reason and the impossibility of getting the right size one locally.

Oh and only being able to shift in the 12 and 6 o'clock position.

Hate grip shift? Eat shit.

Need a light bike for the hills/fat arse. Eat shit.

Full disclosue and all ;)

Oddjob

Highjacking here, but how do you check cassettes aside from eyballing?
Visiually the cassette (and chainring teeth) looks like shark teeth with sharpish tops.

Physically, the chain will skip on the cassette under load.

Rotating chains will sigificantly slow the erosion of the teeth.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
You forgot the bit about Gates belts snapping for no apparent reason and the impossibility of getting the right size one locally.

Oh and only being able to shift in the 12 and 6 o'clock position.

Hate grip shift? Eat shit.

Need a light bike for the hills/fat arse. Eat shit.

Full disclosue and all ;)

Beat me to it :p
I you follow the service intervals lol - for example 50 hour fork service. I don't know anyone that actually does a service at 50 hrs.
Me, but it's actually done monthly coz it works out the same. And it's in my shed so it only costs me 10mL of 5wt oil. It's due it's 200 hour service, that's a bit trickier.

The expense comes from maintaining the high end stuff if you use it excessively, like I do.