E-Bike Impressions?

I have been riding a 2016 Focus Sam C for quite some time now and it is a weapon of a bike and I really enjoy how it handles everything I throw at it especially downhill. However I managed to get my hand on a test Intense Tazer the other day and TBH I really was blown away with the assistance and how it handled going up the hill (obviously being an E-Bike) but on the decent I was a bit disappointed. I think this is only due to the weight. The components were fantastic especially the front forks (fox factory 36) I just found when you were going down hill you got to the 25km/h mark so quick then the motor would stop and it's just you and it felt like you were pedalling in quick sand. So until the find a way to drastically reduce the weight I would spend my $10k on a top line MTB.
Interested to hear other opinions though, so please share.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For me the benefits don’t outweigh the disadvantages yet. Climbing an ebike is great fun but I am still fit enough to climb my local trails and climb to have fun on the way down.

As old age hits and technology gets better then I can see my self on one in future. I would probably buy one as a time saving commuter 1st.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I dislike my ebike for technical trails. The weight is really noticable. I use mine to carry beer and BBQ meat on very long travel grinds.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haha. I found my Norco VLT a weapon on flowy trails. It pedals well over 25km where there is no assistance. The traction is amazing. Equalled my PB on a pedally flowing trail that is over 25km for 95% of the time. I think they just require a tweak of your riding style. Don't rely on assistance (thats just to get back to the top).
I guess I'm from a moto background and found it to be quite fast. Very poppy and agile.
The only time I found the 25km cut out to make a difference was on flatter boring trails.
This VLT has really nailed it. The Haibike I rode didn't have the same agility by quite a margin.

Last edited:

bikie

Rock Bottom
No, I don't notice my Focus Jam2 in quick sand on the descents. Maybe your definition of DH is different though? I know that feeling you're talking about still.. but only experience that on the flat. If you need to use assistance on descents then you're probably not descending.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've found it is a reset to 'how you ride' - flat firetrails are annoying with the Bosch system as it doesn't decouple completely , so its in and out at the limit .
Climbing is great as you can ascend at the limit - traction is immense with the fat tyres . ( and legs are supercharged , so a lot of tech stuff becomes
" i know the bike can - but can i ?....skillset adjustment'

Descending now . I'm quicker ? Dunno why - could be a mental thing - trust the bike more .

They are faster , and the brakes cop a hammering .....as does the occasional tree or ferny bank !

But , e-bikes are a bit longer and not as agile esp on switchbacks - they really challenge me ! And the Wombat Trails were specifically designed to keep the motor off the MTB Trails so trees are tight and some downhill / uphill corners are super tight ( with broken moto X parts occasionally strewn on track )
Overall , next years bikes will be a super jump - closer to traditional mtbs .

ps - Duane , Smiths Gully / Rob Roy is a lot more enjoyable on an E-Mtb as opposed to my FatBoy !

We did it on Sat past and had a blast