E-line the new French-line?

Cropduster

Likes Dirt
Just read all 13 pages....

OMG so much hate for e-bikes, which i get, kinda.... isn't riding bicycles about improving fitness, technique etc as well as enjoying outdoor activity?
e-bikes are like going to the gym and using an assisted stationary bike, or nautilus that lifts the weight for you, i just don't see the point.

If you aren't fit enough to ride the trails then ride cycle paths, rail trails etc until you are, then learn the skills and ride the easy trails first (about where i am, shamefully....)
But buying an e-bike and bombing up or down trails with no skills and limited fitness just annoys those who use them properly and appreciate the challenge. If you're on an e-bike and can use the trails properly then go for it, ride up with assist, shuttle etc who cares, no one really i imagine.

Short cutting and B lines are common place and have nothing to do with the type of bike being ridden, arseholes are on everything, mostly roadies but i digress......

I've met e-bikers, briefly, they're not generally very talkative, must be because of the rush they're in to get a recharge, or they're sick of abuse, not sure, but if they don't want to be sociable that's fine, even if it is my loss.

And they are most definitely not a motorcycle, even with a throttle rather than just pedal assist, hacked or not they couldn't ride a MX track or survive on a motorcycle enduro loop, they're an electric bicycle and they are being pushed heavily by bike shops, must be lots of margin in them.... either that or i look too fat and slow to enjoy a "proper" MTB and they must be trying to look after my ticker.......

Strava? some make it their life work to impress unknown people on an app! it's the time we live in i guess, never used it, i have a garmin for my own personal comparison but i don't share, embarrassment? probably.... If anyone wants to impress on strava good luck to them but moaning about e-bikes not in the right section fraudulently posting times makes me laugh, is there prizemoney?

Flow-Rider

Burner
And they are most definitely not a motorcycle, even with a throttle rather than just pedal assist, hacked or not they couldn't ride a MX track or
Has a Motor on it, it's a form of a motor bike, you know like a Motor-car.

Your classification of a Motorbike is silly, can you jump a 60 footer on a MX course with a Ducati 996.
Pretty sure it happened in Melbourne to an old dude and it played out the same way. Same as if you illegally modified your car and killed someone.
Nobody polices what goes on the trails and there's really not much stopping modified e-bikes entering trails and it's no different to illegal street racing with cars.

(Edit fixed quote).

Last edited:

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has a Motor on it, it's a form of a motor bike, you know like a Motor-car.

Your classification of a Motorbike is silly, can you jump a 60 footer on a MX course with a Ducati 996.

Nobody polices what goes on the trails and there's really not much stopping modified e-bikes entering trails and it's no different to illegal street racing with cars.
I didn’t say the first thing, I think you were meant to be quoting someone else.

As for the second part, nobody polices everything and there’s not much stopping people from doing anything if they really want to. I reckon though if someone died on the trail from an mtb or ebike, modded or not, the police would be involved.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I didn’t say the first thing, I think you were meant to be quoting someone else.

As for the second part, nobody polices everything and there’s not much stopping people from doing anything if they really want to. I reckon though if someone died on the trail from an mtb or ebike, modded or not, the police would be involved.
How many people get caught on the road with an illegal car and how many people get caught on the trails with a modified e-bike = big difference in final outcome unfortunately.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
more importantly, how would it play out if it was a non E powered bike?..why is it just ebikes that get a mention when something like this happens, The gravity crew go about this speed down trails!
Well in this instance he was doing circa 50 kmh in a 32kmh zone, he wasn't pedalling, i.e. riding this like a motorbike that wasn't licensed. Sounds like he went through a green light but was speeding, I have seen this stuff get press for regular bikes too, happens quite a lot on shared cycle paths by the beach here, plenty of roadies doing 50+ weaving through pedestrians...

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Well in this instance he was doing circa 50 kmh in a 32kmh zone, he wasn't pedalling, i.e. riding this like a motorbike that wasn't licensed. Sounds like he went through a green light but was speeding, I have seen this stuff get press for regular bikes too, happens quite a lot on shared cycle paths by the beach here, plenty of roadies doing 50+ weaving through pedestrians...
we have a shared path here in Newcastle like that too, Its actually the old rail corridor that has been turned into a paved trail for public use without the dangers of cars around.
the Roadies use it as a training track and easily hit those speeds, but the problem is everybody else uses it too, mums pushing prams, oldies going for walks and families like us riding bikes with little ones..its amazing that no-one has been killed yet, but plenty of near misses~!
The council has said that they will do something about it, but no action yet, I think they are actually playing the odds on this one, but that day will come :mad:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
They can but as a 6 year old which do you reckon most of them would choose? I know I was pretty excited to ride a little 50cc moto when I got a chance!
Interestingly enough...I have 2 friends. One has regular bikes for his kids, the other one of these balance motos. The boys with the pedal bikes have had plenty of opportunity to ride it and aren't interested. Seems to be the same in a switched role as well. This is just a tiny snap shot and not representative of the wider population

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
we have a shared path here in Newcastle like that too, Its actually the old rail corridor that has been turned into a paved trail for public use without the dangers of cars around.
the Roadies use it as a training track and easily hit those speeds, but the problem is everybody else uses it too, mums pushing prams, oldies going for walks and families like us riding bikes with little ones..its amazing that no-one has been killed yet, but plenty of near misses~!
The council has said that they will do something about it, but no action yet, I think they are actually playing the odds on this one, but that day will come :mad:
I think the point is not the speed but how they got to that speed. If it is not legal then you might have a hard time convincing people or a court that you are not at fault or being negligent.
Shared paths and trails just don’t work. We have the same problem in Wollongong near the harbour.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They can but as a 6 year old which do you reckon most of them would choose? I know I was pretty excited to ride a little 50cc moto when I got a chance!
At 6 they choose what their parents decide for them to ride. Moto fan parents give their kids motos, bike fan parents give em bicycles.. Kids need more outdoor exercise not less..

Last edited:

Jpez

Down on the left!
At 6 they choose what their parents decide for them to ride. Moto fan parents give their kids motos, bike fan parents give em bicycles.. Kids need more outdoor exercise not less..
This^
There’s a 4 year old that gets around the block on a little car that he drives.
I’ve never seen this kid outside of his little car, neither walking, running or riding.
They even drive past the park!
His dads a rev head and has given his son his first car.
I so just want to give that kid a bike instead of a stupid motorised car.