E-line the new French-line?

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I note with interest all these throttle escooters that a popping up and the arguments about speed regulation. At the moment it’s 25km/h in a Brisbane trial, and ranges from 10-15km/h elsewhere in oz.
There is a lot of lobbying going on to get these scooters legal with a 25km/h limited threshold without rego.
I reckon if this happens then we will see a big change in ebikes across the board. No need for pedal assist anymore, it will be just an straight up throttle e-motorcycle speed limited to 25km/h. Imagine that out on the trails. Especially Lysterfield ..
Took one of those electric scooters around Brisbane last weekend and in some places they are speed restricted by GPS to 10km/h which I thought was pretty interesting.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I never said that anyone had to earn the descent. I said that I was earning my descent.
Sorry you feel that I implied you said that.

eBikers aren't real mountain bikers because they are using a motor to "ride to the top". Shuttle / chairlift riders are usually riding dedicated downhill style tracks where the bike for the job, sucks at climbing. And to be brutally honest, I never said they were real mountain bikers either, it was you who said I "would consider" them to be real mountain bikers. I think they are real mountain bikers, as they don't have motors, but I never said it in my first post.
That's exactly the area I think ebikes are best for. Because they have the motor they can have more aggressive geometry for going downhill better as they dont need to be so focused on climability. At least that is what I would want it for.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
If one was serious about just hitting the downs one could ride this up the fire trail and switch off for the downhill track. Arguably legal. I'd be fine with it where there's no shuttle service. It's not what mainstream e-bikes are about. I'm yet to see any e-bike riders looking mildly like they were gonna smash the downhill. Sneakers, roadie gear, no full faces thus far.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's not what mainstream e-bikes are about.
From my experience that's exactly what mainstream emtb's are about. Most people I have seen are riding a Merida E160 (160mm travel enduro), Specialized Levo (150mm long travel trail/almost enduro) or Giant Trance E 140/150 similar to Levo. These people are all wearing the same kit (give or take) as everyone else. Personally I think if someone rides up the hill even with some assistance surely that's more "mountain biker" than jumping in a bus?

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
That's exactly the area I think ebikes are best for. Because they have the motor they can have more aggressive geometry for going downhill better as they dont need to be so focused on climability. At least that is what I would want it for.

If one was serious about just hitting the downs one could ride this up the fire trail and switch off for the downhill track. Arguably legal. I'd be fine with it where there's no shuttle service. It's not what mainstream e-bikes are about. I'm yet to see any e-bike riders looking mildly like they were gonna smash the downhill. Sneakers, roadie gear, no full faces thus far.

I agree, no one is doing anything too serious, that I've seen. They might have enduro spec bikes, but they are not doing anything too trick, and are just passing you in the climbs like you're weirdly hopeless.

Besides, having all that weight of the battery up front, plus the motor too, is not really the sort of bike you want to launch off chunky features. If you look at Scottys link, the modified downhill bike only has the motor attached, and the rider carries the battery in a camelback. Plus, they looked like they had throttles, couldn't be sure though. Anyway, none of the pedal assists I've seen are doing anything hardcore.

Case in point, at Lysty, I got passed by an eBike who was really going fast up the gentle early part of the climb on Redgum. I'm sure his bike had some mods, as it was way quicker than the other eBikes. Anyway, because he went past me so quick, I thought, gee I hope he does the fork of the tree jump, which we were nearly at, as he should get some serious air, just because he was going so fast. Anyway, he did the jump and it flew very badly, pretty much like a nose heavy brick and he nearly binned it and it looked shit.

I'm no downhiller, but I can't imagine popping the front off ledges and getting big air on an overweight, front heavy, pedal assist ePOS.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I I'm no downhiller, but I can't imagine popping the front off ledges and getting big air on an overweight, front heavy, pedal assist ePOS.
On the ones I have riden you have to manual the absolute shit out of it to get even the slightest pop..
Worst is the techy steep downhill into a tight corner. It plunders down like a hunk of shit, 4 pot stoppers feel like V brakes and you have to fight it from over shooting the corner..

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I agree, no one is doing anything too serious, that I've seen. They might have enduro spec bikes, but they are not doing anything too tric
k, and are just passing you in the climbs like you're weirdly hopeless.

Besides, having all that weight of the battery up front, plus the motor too, is not really the sort of bike you want to launch off chunky features. If you look at Scottys link, the modified downhill bike only has the motor attached, and the rider carries the battery in a camelback. Plus, they looked like they had throttles, couldn't be sure though. Anyway, none of the pedal assists I've seen are doing anything hardcore.

Case in point, at Lysty, I got passed by an eBike who was really going fast up the gentle early part of the climb on Redgum. I'm sure his bike had some mods, as it was way quicker than the other eBikes. Anyway, because he went past me so quick, I thought, gee I hope he does the fork of the tree jump, which we were nearly at, as he should get some serious air, just because he was going so fast. Anyway, he did the jump and it flew very badly, pretty much like a nose heavy brick and he nearly binned it and it looked shit.

I'm no downhiller, but I can't imagine popping the front off ledges and getting big air on an overweight, front heavy, pedal assist ePOS.
I've seen 2 ebikes out in the bush with throttle control and reckon a few people would chip them too. I dont reckon that's right though and the 25km would be plenty for me. It would be nice to clip a battery on, ride to the top, drop it off, then ride to the bottom without the weight and then pick up another battery.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Agree @Lazmo, like I said ride up the firetrail like the bus does if you reck9n the bus with a normal bike is the same? Why wouldn't you take the quickest way up? 150/160 is becoming a do it all bike, there's way better single crown dh oriented bikes than the Trail-duro category these bikes are in. Also a tonne of unsprung weight needs big springs for off road work. You'd really struggle to bunny hop a hardtail e-bike up a kerb, I can barely bunny hop a 5cm high crack in the pavement with spd's on my commuter. It's so not the same experience on bike paths so I imagine those differences translate.

Anyway horse bolted and I'm sure burners who ride em won't be kooks on the trail.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Also try doing 7 runs as fast as the bus on one e-bike battery at Stromlo. I did 7/11 available shuttles on my first time recently on the 150/160mm bike I usually ride up twice on a big day.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Worst is the techy steep downhill into a tight corner. It plunders down like a hunk of shit, 4 pot stoppers feel like V brakes and you have to fight it from over shooting the corner..
I think this is true, albeit haven't really don't anything super steep and techy on the e-bike but can imagine it would be significantly more difficult to finesse the bike as it is so much heavier, especially for a lightweight like me. The ebikes with super long chainstays are probably the worst of the bunch here.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also try doing 7 runs as fast as the bus on one e-bike battery at Stromlo. I did 7/11 available shuttles on my first time recently on the 150/160mm bike I usually ride up twice on a big day.
I think it's probably more about still being riding rather than getting off and loading onto the bus etc, no doubt a motor vehicle of any description is way faster than a max 25 kph e bike. I really ride in trail/eco and I am doing 10-15kph so I'm not flying up the hill.

mark22

Likes Dirt
Took one of those electric scooters around Brisbane last weekend and in some places they are speed restricted by GPS to 10km/h which I thought was pretty interesting.
That's a really good idea for the safety of pedestrians, it was a too quick for some areas.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's a really good idea for the safety of pedestrians, it was a too quick for some areas.
The solution is right there for ebikes and non ebikes to live in harmony. Just restrict the ebike speed to the KOM time of each strava segment for a non e bike.;)

I am a big fan of pedal assist e bikes, but think anything with a throttle should be classed as a eMoto and not be on a MTB trail.
I found the ebikes I rode descended better than a normal mounting bike as the weight was more centred on the bike.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I've never met one that was happy to chat, more often than not, they will not even meet your eye.

I never said that anyone had to earn the descent. I said that I was earning my descent.

eBikers aren't real mountain bikers because they are using a motor to "ride to the top". Shuttle / chairlift riders are usually riding dedicated downhill style tracks where the bike for the job, sucks at climbing. And to be brutally honest, I never said they were real mountain bikers either, it was you who said I "would consider" them to be real mountain bikers. I think they are real mountain bikers, as they don't have motors, but I never said it in my first post.
your avatar line below your name says it all..see you real soon on the E-trail

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sure, but how does it compare to a mountain bike?
Better descending...but I already said that...
Overall I still enjoy the achievement factor of pushing a mountain bike so ebikes re not for me....YET.... Its that sicko self punishment thing I still like.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
so all the pro riders that use Ebikes for fun and training aren't mountain bikers either?
I have an Ebyk, I love my ebyk, but I also have 2 other pedally bikes too which I also enjoy..but they all do different things
If you dont like them, I suggest you don't buy one..move along, these aren't the bikes you are looking for!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Better descending...but I already said that...
Overall I still enjoy the achievement factor of pushing a mountain bike so ebikes re not for me....YET.... Its that sicko self punishment thing I still like.
You were talking about mounting bikes. That must be something new? Perhaps a type of bike for mounting a motor on?