E-line the new French-line?

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
On the ones I have ridden you have to manual the absolute shit out of it to get even the slightest pop. Worst is the techy steep downhill into a tight corner. It plunders down like a hunk of shit, 4 pot stoppers feel like V brakes and you have to fight it from over shooting the corner.
I found the ebikes I rode descended better than a normal mounting bike as the weight was more centred on the bike.
Now, I'm not only old and hopeless... I'm confused too. All that "centred" weight is better handling than less weight. All righty then.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
so all the pro riders that use Ebikes for fun and training aren't mountain bikers either?
They are just not mountain biking when on e-bikes, they are mountain e-biking. They are still mountain bikers if they still ride mountain bikes without motors.

D

Deleted member FN2187

Wow, there is some premium A grade Salt going on here. But...... No-one ever straightlined a trail before E-bikes were invented . I get it. The guy with a the motor that puts out no more wattage than you probably can is destroying your trails. And the gatekeepers of mountain biking needs to take up arms and cull the lot of em.

But really, Fuck off. It comes down to the individual. If some prick is intentionally cutting the trail, call the guy out and tell him why it's not acceptable. This goes for motorised and non motorised riders. E bikes aren't the problem. Lack of direction and education is what's wrong here. Talk to your local clubs and see if there is a way of giving new riders trail etiquette sessions or introduce codes of conduct to your trails for everyone.

If you don't like E bikes. Good for you, don't buy one. It doesn't matter. We are all just people out riding bicycles, having fun and that is a good thing. The only difference is one doesn't have to work as hard on the way back up. I love my E bike but I'm not going to stop riding my regular bike because of it.

D

Deleted member FN2187

I mean the laws of physics contradict this statement. The rest, sure, assholes ride all sorts of bikes.
They have a peak power output cutout. They literally cannot output more torque than a human being. Maximum motor torque for the Levo is 90nm. A pro cyclist can put down 110nm.

Last edited by a moderator:

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I don't like road bikes, and I think anyone who rides one is a self righteous wanker, they ride way too fast on public walkways and take up too much space on the road..but I ain't going to buy one
its the same argument...let it go!

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Haha I'm cool dudes, whatever floats your boat. I thought I made it clear several times about the horse bolting and teaching people to not be knobs, especially the n00bs.

On the physics thing, motor plus legs equals more power to the ground. That's why less fit people can pass me up big hills on ebikes. Isn't it? I mean I'm no pro so possibly the motor does what I do?

To be fair they strap weights to the rims, chainstays and other parts of the bike as well..
6kg?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
They have a peak power output cutout. They literally cannot output more torque than a human being. Maximum motor torque for the Levo is 90nm. A pro cyclist can put down 110nm.
But wouldn’t you add the output of the rider to the peak motor output, therefore making the e-bike more powerful (with rider-assist)?

PS I don’t give a shit about ebikes on the trails, never had a problem. But I guess they do give more people the opportunity to display poor trail etiquette - it’s easier for a dick to be a dick when they’re not panting and wheezing.

Kids on ebikes I’m not cool with, unless they’re in the alps.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not to start flicking salt around again but an emtb isn’t a “bicycle” it’s a motorcycle as it has a motor.

Ride what you want, electric motor cycling is a different sport though. This is mountain bicycle forum so people get salty..
Motorbikes are cool and fun. You're right in that emtbs are a type of "motorbike" in a broad sense and I dont think anyone would disagree with you that electric motor cycling is a completely different sport. However, I think most of the time people refer to emtbs as motorbikes it's just to stir up trouble and get people to bite, or to try and push them out of the conversation which helps neither side. We both know that they are called electric mountain bikes (emtb) because it's pretty obvious that they have a lot more in common with mtbs than they do motorbikes hence why people on this forum want to talk about them.

D

Deleted member FN2187

On the physics thing, motor plus legs equals more power to the ground. That's why less fit people can pass me up big hills on ebikes. Isn't it? I mean I'm no pro so possibly the motor does what I do?
But wouldn’t you add the output of the rider to the peak motor output, therefore making the e-bike more powerful (with rider-assist)?
They're pedal assist, so the motor will assist the riders inputs up to peak torque. Everything past that point is all you. Point is the bike does no more trail damage than a pro level cyclist.

I really don't want to defend E bikes, or the definition of E bikes. I don't give a shit if someone else likes them or not. I do. And I don't care if the definition is different. It IS a mountain bike with a motor and battery. It IS NOT a motorbike. The thread was about short cutting trail. If it was an e bike rider cutting trail then that specific person is responsible. But if a non motorised bicycle rider did the same thing they are equally responsible.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Now, I'm not only old and hopeless... I'm confused too. All that "centred" weight is better handling than less weight. All righty then.
I too am old and hopeless and Yes, I rode Green Valleys on their demo day and was hitting the jumps and drops way better on the ebike. That weight is good. Believe it or not, I was riding in air, I never though I could feel so free...you said you are old do that song should be stuck in your head now.