E13 9-46 cassette 11 speed

Scotty675

Cable thief
Anyone running one with shimano drive train?
I was going to try a 12speed 9-46 but after a bit of research it seems they don't play so nicely with shimano.
Next option is to try an 11speed, replacing an xt 11-46.

moorey

call me Mia
My mate is. Runs pretty well, though never as nice as 11-42 (more B screw to clear the 46 impacts the shifting of lower gears), he snapped teeth off one within the first week, second wore more quickly than I’d like for something that expensive. The issue wasn’t so much with Shimano derailleur, IMHO, but can’t compare with SRAM. @Boom King? You tried?

11-46 Shimano is eye wateringly ugly. Tough it out with the 42 of you’re staying 11sp.

Scotty675

Cable thief
Was going to try xd for higher gearing without changing front ring. Were I am now the gearing is nice and only find myself wanting the 46 by the end of the day. On the downs though I could do with a little more. By this I mean not for outright flat out pedal speed but when I need that quick pedal for quick drive.
Could also be an excuse to try a wheel I bought 18months ago and still sits in a box.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I run the 9-46 11 speed on my SRAM drive train and I've never been real happy with the shifting especially onto the two biggest gears on the cassette. If you rush the shift under a bit of load it throws the chain off down the cassette and you have to stop, hop off and crank the back wheel around to get it back on track. I really like the range it has, just wished I could get the shifting a bit nicer. I was thinking of trying a Shimano 11 speed derailleur as they at least run a 46 tooth gear.

Scotty675

Cable thief
I run the 9-46 11 speed on my SRAM drive train and I've never been real happy with the shifting especially onto the two biggest gears on the cassette. If you rush the shift under a bit of load it throws the chain off down the cassette and you have to stop, hop off and crank the back wheel around to get it back on track. I really like the range it has, just wished I could get the shifting a bit nicer. I was thinking of trying a Shimano 11 speed derailleur as they at least run a 46 tooth gear.
Thanks for reply, this is what I wanted to hear (or not). I'm drawn to them because of the 9 tooth. I've never tried xd, so have never even run a 10t. Originally was going to garbaruk because I know they play nicely with shimano drivetrain. Oh decisions this is a 3rd world problem.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Thanks for reply, this is what I wanted to hear (or not). I'm drawn to them because of the 9 tooth. I've never tried xd, so have never even run a 10t. Originally was going to garbaruk because I know they play nicely with shimano drivetrain. Oh decisions this is a 3rd world problem.
The 9 th is what I really like about the e13. Gave that real top end speed to keep peddling like a mofo down hill when I needed it. Unfortunately the shifting with my gx set up was less than desirable.
I’m not much of fiddler though so I could probably have improved it by spending more time tuning it.
Seems to be people out there that have (or say they have) no issues at all and theirs runs smoothly.

Stredda

I'd like to try the Shimano 11speed derailleur if a cheap one pops up.
I agree, that 9 tooth is great for top end and the 46 is good when your legs are cooked. I wish SRAM would make a 46 tooth cassette but I'm sure they just want you to go Eagle and that's a lot of $$$

Scotty675

Cable thief
I'd like to try the Shimano 11speed derailleur if a cheap one pops up.
I agree, that 9 tooth is great for top end and the 46 is good when your legs are cooked. I wish SRAM would make a 46 tooth cassette but I'm sure they just want you to go Eagle and that's a lot of $$$
I'm happy to post up a derailleur and shifter if you want to try it. Would save me taking a gamble. Flick me a message with address if you want to try it. I pay return postage as well.

Stredda

I have @Scotty675’s XTR derailleur on my bike with the E-Thirteen cassette and the SRAM shifter.
Just done one ride on it and I must say it shifts better than the X1 SRAM derailleur.
It’s a little noisy, so might have to play with the B screw.

Even got it dirty

Scotty675

Cable thief
I have @Scotty675’s XTR derailleur on my bike with the E-Thirteen cassette and the SRAM shifter.
Just done one ride on it and I must say it shifts better than the X1 SRAM derailleur.
View attachment 363711

Even got it dirty
View attachment 363712
This I what I want to hear. Have a good play around and see how it goes with shifter as well.
I really hope it plays well as I may be guilty of ordering one from pushys while they had there sale on. I'm definitely blaming the beers for that one friday night.

moorey

call me Mia
Sounds like 1/2 a turn or so might be enough to get it to clear the bigger gears.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
My mate is. Runs pretty well, though never as nice as 11-42 (more B screw to clear the 46 impacts the shifting of lower gears), he snapped teeth off one within the first week, second wore more quickly than I’d like for something that expensive. The issue wasn’t so much with Shimano derailleur, IMHO, but can’t compare with SRAM. @Boom King? You tried?

11-46 Shimano is eye wateringly ugly. Tough it out with the 42 of you’re staying 11sp.
Pretty sure I put the 11sp e13 on the wife's Five. Haven't had any shifting issues, running M7000 shifter and derailleur, but it hasn't really been ridden in anger.

Sent from my SM-G960N using Tapatalk

trelreign

Squid
I've had an overall good experience with the e13. I did get some chain rubbing due to the chainline in 11th, bit of filing took care of that. I've read lots of issues with these cassettes, I've had nothing specifically related to the cassette, maybe I've been lucky. Setups, most recent first...

E13 TRS Race 9-46 11sp. June 2020 -> Just set up ready to go test ride today. Same as previous cassette.
Chain - KMC SL 11sp - trying something different.
Mech - Shimano XTR RD-M9100 12sp. Shifting well on the stand. Test ride will reveal any issues.
Shifter - Shimano XTR SL-M9000 11sp. So far so good.
Chainring - Raceface Cinch DM 28T. I found i rarely use the 9 tooth unless i'm on the pavement, and i'd typically be downhilling trails in 8th or 9th, so I've gone for a 28 to get use out of the top end.

E13 TRS Race 9-46 11 sp. July 2019-June 2020. Still lots of life, going onto spare bike with the xtr chain.
Chains- Box Hex Lab, Box One, Shimano XTR 901 - Still using the Box chains with Hope cassette on spare bike.
Mech - Shimano RD-M8000-GS - Never had a particular shifting problem with this cassette. I have however had overall problems with these mechs, been through a few from crash damage and pivots wearing and getting sloppy. Still been using them 2 years+ so not all bad.
Shifter - Shimano XT-SL-M8000, XTR SL-M9000. Perfectly ok with either.
Chainring - 2 x WolfTooth 30T, Raceface Cinch DM. Rarely dropped a chain, good wear rate.

Hope 10-44 11sp is pretty good, on the spare bike now, going onto my old XC bike, might motivate me to ride it more. Shift issues were solved by using a new Shimano XTR SL-M9100 12 speed shifter, switched to 11sp. Cog spacing must be slightly off on the Hope, and closer to the new shimano 12 speed.

Shimano SLX CS-M7000 11-42 wasn't that fantastic when I first went 1x11. Got the job done, nothing special.

All my setups have done the old backpedal chain drop down the cassette trick. But this has happened on all my cassettes, various chainlines tested etc etc. Living with it. Generally not a problem. But climbing steep trails and slipping a foot off will leave it in 4th or 5th every time, have to get off and manually pedal back to 1st.

Scotty675

Cable thief
Got cassette mounted up tonight. Haven't had to adjust a thing as yet. Swapped wheel like for like and only had to adjust caliper. No derailleur adjustments at all. Won't get to test till weekend though. Shifts fine but wouldn't say as smooth as the xt cassette.
20200609_210727_75.jpg

Stredda

Does it creak yet?
Mine has never creaked. I greased it up with the grease the cassette comes with and hasn't been an issue.

Well I've ordered a new XT derailleur to replace the XTR that Scotty has loaned me. The Shimano XTR shifts way better into the two biggest gears compared to the SRAM X1. No dropping the chain off halfway down the cassette when shifting under a bit of load.
I did find that the E-Thirteen cassette didn't loose the chain off the 46 tooth when pedaling backwards with either derailleur like some others do.

Stredda

New XT derailleur arrived and fitted. Bit of a backyard tune to get it shifting nicely.
Heading to Derby tomorrow for the weekend to test it out!:p

One thing I did realise was that the derailleur I ordered was the long cage for the 46 tooth but the XTR Scotty sent me looks to be a short cage and that shifted just as well.