E13 TRS+ Wheelset Experiences

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Hi RBers,

I've read several glowing reviews but I'm just wondering if anyone on here has had any first-hand experience with the e13 TRS+ wheelset, specifically in 29 inch size. I just cant deal with the stock flexy rovals on my 29er enduro anymore (yea yea get smaller wheels I know). These seem to be a good compromise on price/stiffness between alloy and the more expensive carbon hoops.

Wheels in question: http://bythehive.com/e-thirteen/trs-enduro/trs-wheels-2/

Thoughts?

russmu66

Likes Bikes
depends where you buy them

Just be careful who you buy them through. I tried to do the right thing and buy them through the Australian importer/supplier... and got nothing but disappointment and trouble. Everywhere in the world they come with the tubeless kit and extra axle adapters... but not in Australia apparently. I battled this through the Australian supplier and e13 themselves but received no satisfaction at all. I was lied to and promised things to rectify the problem... but never happened. Won't ever buy e13 products again.

On the positive side... they are fantastic wheels. Very stiff and strong... I ran them on a 130mm travel 29er and did Stromlo, Thredbo and lots of other places. I still have the 15mm axle front wheel you can have cheaply if you want a way to save some money on the full wheel set.
Cheers

slimjim1

Cheers for the reply mate.

I would most likely purchase through CRC (bout $930 delivered with discount expiring Tuesday) although I have sought a quote from the LBS mainly for warranty/ peace of mind etc (expecting around $1300, which is carbon territory anyway and really trying to avoid going over a grand). The e13s stil seem like a bit of an unknown, but after hearing your experience CRC is looking mighty good.

Cheers for the offer too - although it seems online retailers only do the whole set. I'll check if the LBS does individual wheels and then I might still hit you up for the front if the individual price is OK.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
also considering these wheels for my 29er stumpy.. will be keen to here how you like them! my other option at this price would be light bike carbons with hope hubs or american classic AMs. these e13s get good reviews and look awesome/blingy!

slimjim1

also considering these wheels for my 29er stumpy.. will be keen to here how you like them! my other option at this price would be light bike carbons with hope hubs or american classic AMs. these e13s get good reviews and look awesome/blingy!
I have heard the AM classic wheels can be a little 'soft' and my primary concern is stiffness > weight, and I was considering the light bike stuff as well, but I'm still a little bit apprehensive.

I have already ridden a custom wheelset with the e13 hubs and they felt awesome, quick engagement and really smooth/roll forever (basically everything the stock specialized hubs are not). Bloody loud though!

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have the rims on Hope hubs because I read reports of the hubs self-destructing. The rims are stiff and very light. They have held up well to trail abuse. Setting up tubeless was easy enough, but I needed a compressor, couldn't get away with the track pump. Just for the extreme lightness alone, I say get em, you'll notice how much faster you climb. Just beware the hubs...

slimjim1

I have the rims on Hope hubs because I read reports of the hubs self-destructing. The rims are stiff and very light. They have held up well to trail abuse. Setting up tubeless was easy enough, but I needed a compressor, couldn't get away with the track pump. Just for the extreme lightness alone, I say get em, you'll notice how much faster you climb. Just beware the hubs...
Cheers mate. I got a quote from the LBS today while I was getting my spokes re-tensioned and hub tightened (roval on specialized hi lo hubs, the pinnacle of quality) and the wheelset was less than $100 more than CRC. I saw the other thread with the cracked e13 hubs so now LBS is starting to look good again just for warranty purposes. Gotta bit of thinking to do now.

Edit: Did you guys build the wheels yourself or get someone else to build them up? What sort of prices are we talking? PM me if necessary

Last edited:

morgs

morgs
I have a set of TRS+ wheels, in 650b and they have ben brilliant so far. As light as carbon wheel sets and the high flanges on the hubs keep the spokes shorter than I would have expected. Noticeably stiffer than my last set of Hope Hoops. I usually kill rims, but these have held up well. I also heard stories of hubs cracking, but when I went a little deeper there wasn't much evidence of it locally or in later times so hopefully if it was occurring it was early production runs.

slimjim1

I have a set of TRS+ wheels, in 650b and they have ben brilliant so far. As light as carbon wheel sets and the high flanges on the hubs keep the spokes shorter than I would have expected. Noticeably stiffer than my last set of Hope Hoops. I usually kill rims, but these have held up well. I also heard stories of hubs cracking, but when I went a little deeper there wasn't much evidence of it locally or in later times so hopefully if it was occurring it was early production runs.
Awesome, cheers for the feedback mate.

DannyAwesome

Likes Bikes
My GT came with these wheels (in 650B). Cant fault them.

The hub is stupidly loud, but I kinda like it. However if you want to talk to someone while riding you need to keep pedalling so you can hear each other.

slimjim1

Haha yeah, cheers man. I got a mate with the hubs on wtb rims and Ive pretty much given up talking to him on rides.

At the moment I'm just waiting on some quotes for the new roval fatties coming out, if they are over budget like I suspect Ive decided I will order the e13s through the LBS, and make sure before I pay in full that I get all the adapters and the tubeless stuff that they are supposed to come with.

slimjim1

So I ordered these wheels through the LBS on the 13th of August and they still haven't arrived, distributor is still 'waiting on shipping advice' :frusty:

slimjim1

So I got these wheels on Friday, so far have taken them for 2 rides and loving them. First ride was mainly smooth fireroads and they rolled dam nice, seemed to get up to speed easier, the stiffness was definitely an improvement. Second ride was some proper DH. They hold a line through chunk so much better than the Rovals, there's none of that flex/loading up feeling in corners or coming off jumps. The engagement of the rear hub is awesome and everyone so far seems to love the sound of them.

Overall the whole bike just feels tighter, I reckon the light rims will make a big difference accelerating on switchback climbs (Stromlo etc). I cant really imagine carbon hoops being an improvement on these TBH.

ktastrphe

Likes Dirt
Sounds like my experience. I have been running this wheelset for about 4 months now and same as you, feel like I have so much more control. Engagement is super quick and I reckon the oversize hubs are pretty sexy too. The only disappointment is the tubeless conversion "kit" of a thin strand of tape was no good. Oh and the left 15mm dropout adapter drops off easy when you take the front wheel off.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just used Stans yellow tape, valves and sealant with non tubeless tyres and had no issues (other than needing a compressor to seat beads).

slimjim1

Mine came taped up already and also came with some extra spare tape, got a spesh butcher and captain on there tubeless at the moment, all is good.

Minlak

custom titis
Do your E13's have the 3 deg 6 Pawl design?

I was looking very hard at getting a set of E13 or Industry 9 wheels and in my research found the Project 321 hubs. I am under the impression these are all the same hub... Mine have 6 pawls 3 degs 120 points of engagement I love em.

slimjim1

They have 3 pawls and 60 points of engagement, and absolutely scream when coasting along :rockon:

el~rio

Likes Dirt
Just a little bump! How are everyone's wheels going? The GT Force I'm eying off has the 650B TRS+ but feedback on other models will be appreciated