Eagle 12 speed

Jpez

Down on the left!
Im getting old. Climbing is getting harder or I’m just getting lazier so I was considering upgrading? to a 12 speed drivetrain for the lower gear.
A cheap drivetrain minus cranks has come up on FB.
So question is can I use my current 11sp RF chainring on Eagle?
Google says mostly yes. But would like a burner to confirm.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
No experience with 11sp cranks but I’ve also seen the google results.

I can say I love my GX Eagle. It’s more sensitive to adjustments, but I don’t miss the XO 11sp it replaced :)

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Yes. I’m using the same raceface chainring that I had on my 12 sp Eagle and I’m now using it on my 11 sp drivetrain.

moorey

call me Mia
I ran it for 3 rides, maybe 75km...and have just sold it to go back to 11sp XT. Range is unnecessary (I’m average fitness, pushing 50yo, and live in a hilly place), and the Derailleur hangs down so far, it’s not gunna last long...and as much to replace it as to buy a complete XT mini group.
It shifted fine, and was faultless....but it literally put me off wanting to ride the bike (Rune)
Mine was GX, the XX1 is no doubt made better....but doesn’t solve the issues I have with it.
Maybe when I’m 60, I’ll need that range.

It’s a damning indictment...but I’d go 2x before running eagle again....maybe.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Yeah the whole rear mech thing puts me off big time. Mate has eagle and it looks to damn near drag on the ground!
I’m actually pretty fit and ride hard but my my back is farked so I’m sometimes halfway through a ride and I’m struggling physically on the climbs which can destroy a day out on the bike and makes me pay in recovery for the rest of the week.
So if the 50t gives me some relief then I’ll give it a crack. At least it not an Ebike!!
I’ll keep my 11sp though in case.

Haakon

I’m yet to bash the mech on a rock... Basic riding skills to avoid such things that I’ve learnt from the days of my 1980s Repco Tracer seem to serve me well with Eagle.

It’s fine. Run a slightly bigger chainring and not spin out as much on the fireroads.

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Slight change of subject , What size oval chainring would you run with a GX eagle ?

Ive run a 32 with 11 speed XT ,

But was thinking a 34 might go well with the extra range of the Eagle.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Slight change of subject , What size oval chainring would you run with a GX eagle ?

Ive run a 32 with 11 speed XT ,

But was thinking a 34 might go well with the extra range of the Eagle.
I'd stick with 32. You will get better top speed with the 10T high and it will be easier at the low end.

Agree, run 32.

I'm yet to wang the rear mech and I ride with gay abandon. Maybe on 29 it's not so bad.

Maybe I need my own forum section like the ebikes ?

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
If you really want the dinner plate and you're on shimano freehub then the sunrace 11sp 11-50t cassette is an option.
I think you might have to look at wolftooth goatlink with that setup as 50t is outside the bounds of standard medium cage.

Most economical would be run 30t on an 11-46 (if you already have this cassette) and you'll get ballpark similar results.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Garbaruk 11-50t and WolfCage is another option on a Shimano driver. Adjustment was just doable with an XT M8000 medium cage rear derailleur.

moorey

call me Mia
I’m yet to bash the mech on a rock... Basic riding skills to avoid such things that I’ve learnt from the days of my 1980s Repco Tracer seem to serve me well with Eagle.

It’s fine. Run a slightly bigger chainring and not spin out as much on the fireroads.
Not many rocks on a bike path....this was meant to be a gravity bike to move Felix towards a DH bike.
Horses for courses.

The 11-46 shimano cassette is eye wareringly ugly...Sunrace looks better and will give you a bit more gear.
ECD6FBDB-D0FF-44B6-A45F-A6D9C23C2019.jpeg
8629A9FC-AE9A-401D-9092-7A6CD8D5B8D0.jpeg

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Are you running 26" wheels on the Rune @moorey? The Eagle derailleur would be like a training wheel if so.

Haakon

I'm on 27.5, but i dont apply any more care through rock gardens etc than I used to and ive not bashed it yet. I'm sure I will at some point, but then I whacked old shimano 9 speed shadows too occasionally...

its fine. it works well and I for one like the range.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Most economical would be run 30t on an 11-46 (if you already have this cassette) and you'll get ballpark similar results.
I’ve decided to give the Eagle the flick and go with a Sunrace 11-46. Cheaper.
I’m a hack and my current rear mech has survived by a miracle. I’ve had to yank it straight a couple of times so I don’t see an eagle mech lasting.
I’ve also run a Sunrace cassette on a previous bike and really liked it. They are really underrated.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’ve decided to give the Eagle the flick and go with a Sunrace 11-46. Cheaper.
I’m a hack and my current rear mech has survived by a miracle. I’ve had to yank it straight a couple of times so I don’t see an eagle mech lasting.
I’ve also run a Sunrace cassette on a previous bike and really liked it. They are really underrated.
Yes, totally underrated and the black ones look stealthy cool.
What RD are you using or planning to use?

teK--

Eats Squid
The new rig came fitted with an interesting combo of GX eagle; 34T ring with 170mm cranks and 10-50.

I never thought I'd go eagle by choice but have found this combo to give several benefits.

50T bail out to save my knees when i previously only had 42T. Have since climbed up some ridiculous hills I would usually push. And others I have reduced knee blowing out.

170mm cranks more ground clearance and further saves my knees at top of stroke compared to a 175mm.

34T mostly offsets the reduced leverage of the shorter cranks compared to usual 32T so I can still keep decent chain tension on descents when in middle of cassette.