Eagle Derailleur Setup

treble

Likes Dirt
I recently managed to bend my 10 ride old GX Eagle derailleur on a shuttle trailer in Bright. Oops, remember to check your derailleur clearance on upright racks kiddos.
It wasn't completely toast, still shifted OK. But I'm heading to NZ soon and I don't want to deal with maintenance issues, so i bit the bullet. New derailleur, new hanger, new cable.

But when it comes time to set the upper and lower limits on the derailleur I don't seem to be able to get the full range of indexing. I've set the upper limit to be on the outboard edge of the 11t on the cassette (as per Sram's instruction). Then I shift it all the way up to set the lower limit, but the jockey wheel wont get near the centre of the 50t. Furthest I can get it is the inboard edge of the 42t. the limit screw is all the way out (not even making contact) and I'm getting the full 11 clicks on the shifter.

Initially i thought it must have been the hanger, but after just fitting a new one its the same.
Anyone had a similar problem? suggestions?

Cheers.

Minlak

custom titis
Stupid question time.
Are you sure you bought 12spd not 11spd?
Are you sure you have the shifter all the way down before setting the cable?
Can you manually move the derailleur further on board or is it hard up against something?

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Even though you have put a new hanger on, there's no guarantee that it is straight. Manufacturing tolerances in the hanger and frame could well mean it's not perfectly aligned when you bolt it on. Eagle is really sensitive to hanger alignment simply because of the length of the derailleur cage, and it doesn't take much misalignment to end up in your situation. Know anyone with a hanger alignment tool that can give it a once over for you?

treble

Likes Dirt
Stupid question time.
Are you sure you bought 12spd not 11spd?
Are you sure you have the shifter all the way down before setting the cable?
Can you manually move the derailleur further on board or is it hard up against something?
All good.
- Yes, Definitely 12 speed
- Yes
- Yes, Can manually move derailleur into right spot, can even use the small amount of play in the shifter past 12th gear to ghost shift it into the right spot, but yes limit is all the way out.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
What's the b screw set to? Got your 14mm of clearance or whatever its meant to be? Go all in on the b, then work back, sounds your Upper and lower isn't the issue..

Minlak

custom titis
Upper and lower isn’t the issue if it manually moves. That would stop it. You may have the cable too tight or not tight enough. Have you adjusted the shifter? You are supposed to wind the cable adjust all the way in in the shifter then wind it out to fine tune.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
SRAM cable routing into the anchor bolt is shit, always has been; the dserailleur moves and fucks with the cable tension when you tighten the bolt.

Sprocket clearance, set with the b-tension screw, should be 5-6m under the big sprocket.

moorey

call me Mia
SRAM cable routing into the anchor bolt is shit, always has been; the dserailleur moves and fucks with the cable tension when you tighten the bolt.

Sprocket clearance, set with the b-tension screw, should be 5-6m under the big sprocket.
Was thinking cable routing also. They are a pain, and convoluted to route correctly without another to compare to. If cable is clamped on wrong side of bolt, it may affect pull ratio.

@The Duckmeister @moorey 100%

I changed my cable today ( it's a long story for the farkwits thread) and Youse is on the money. As you tighten the clamp (bolt) the derailleur pushes inboard and the cable jumps out of the lower guide. If you brace the mech no worries.

Having said that now I know the system better I'm not having much drama setting it up ( new glasses helped)

treble

Likes Dirt
Sorted. Pulled everything apart and started again. Think it may have been a cable routing issue. Thanks lads!