EARPHONES MEGATHREAD - All questions on earphones for riding asked and answered here

Purt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
skull candys sound great, havnt riden with them in much but when i first got em they kept falling out, changed the rubber size and its all good now.

just not sure on durabilty.

i had some sports ones that were indestructable but the sound was crap
+1, sound quality is awesome.

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Now I'm just annoyed. CX's shat themselves a few weeks after my first post here. Did this odd thing where one side was slowly but surely getting weaker and weaker until eventually it cut out altogether. So I went without for a while (I can't afford $70-80 every few months just for headphones) and about a fortnight ago I really wanted my music back so I got another set of TDK's from JB...
Why haven't you had any of the seinheisser's warrantied? If your really not rough on them, these sound like warranty issues. Sounds like it would have saved you a few hundred too.
Again, my cx500's are going strong. Closer to 2 years of use now. Cost $140 and worth it. Beats paying $30-$40 ever few months.

Toff

Likes Dirt
Why haven't you had any of the seinheisser's warrantied? If your really not rough on them, these sound like warranty issues. Sounds like it would have saved you a few hundred too.
Again, my cx500's are going strong. Closer to 2 years of use now. Cost $140 and worth it. Beats paying $30-$40 ever few months.
First set were bought at an airport shortly before a trip to New Zealand, didn't think to keep the receipt. By the time the second set broke I'd lost track of the receipt. I may just end up buying a third set and keeping the receipt in my wallet in the inevitable event of them breaking, or maybe do the same thing with the Sonys.

I've still got the receipt for the TDK's but it seems a bit petty to ask for an $18 refund..

Everything I've heard from audiophiles suggests that Skullcandy are for looking, not listening so I'm hesitant in choosing a set..

Blythy

Likes Dirt
If you want something with good bass and good build quality you cant go past the sennheiser hd212's $85! from djwarehouse.com.au (jb sell them for $125 something else I would highly recomend are the sennheiser hd 25's, they are absolutely AMAZING! very very nice deep bass but still a very very well developed frequency response. plus they are super comfy. I have listened to both of these headphones for over two hours before with some descent volume adn they were not a problem at all. if you have the money I wouldnt go past the hd 25's.

also dj warehouse are by far the cheapest store for headphones in australia. I wouldnt go anywhere else for headphones.

http://www.djwarehouse.com.au/headphones/dj/sennheiser-hd-25-dj-headphones.html

cheers!

Blythy

._._._._._.

Likes Dirt
SkullCandy 'Full Metal Jacket'

These are iPod/iPhone ready, with inline mic (and button). Metal housing with braided metal lines... They look good, and sound excellent. Apparently produced in the same Chinese factory as the Bose in ear.

They are hard to find, and especially the ones with the mic inline.

Mine cost about $80, but they were bought in Singapore, and hard to find there too.

These will be replaced with another set from SkullCandy... once they eventually die.

No nonononnononon please!

Good points: Look O.K., Sound good if you're used to iPod headphones.

Bad: Will spontaneously stop working, completely. I've had a pair, this happened within a few months. Earphone simply stopped working, the next earphone went about a week later.

Exact same thing happened to NASHWORTH on here as well, He'll probably chime in when he see's the thread.

Look into the Sennheiser range. Quality sound, quite cheap and durable (known someone with a pair for 6+ months, still sound as new). It sounds rough, but do the proper research and pay up big now and you'll never need to worry about another pair.

I've spent nearly $600 to get to a pair of headphones that are actually lasting me. Gone through skullcandies and then went to big cans. had a pair of $200 pioneers which went snappidy, warranty wouldn't cover either. Have HD-25's right now, highly recommend if you dont mind a pair that isn't in-ear.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Have a look around here.

I've got a set of the Vsonic R02 ProII, very happy with them; well I was, until the girl stole them to use when she busted her AKGs. She won't give them back either as they're a better fit than the AKGs, and as such were easier to get a good sound out of.

When I start using a portable player again I'll definately get another set for myself.

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have a set of Sennheisers, I dunno what they are. Or how to find out. But they're in ear bass enhancing ones that were $100 down to $70 in JB Hi-Fi and they sound fucking rad. And have been going for like 9 months now, every other earphone I had went within a month or 2 before that. Pretty stoked.

EDIT: They're CX300II's. http://www.sennheiser.com.au/au/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_mp3_classic-line_502737

Another thing, I think part of the reason I got them was the long cord, and yeah it's really long compared to other earphones I've had!

Last edited:

Joy

Likes Dirt
Have a set of Sennheisers, I dunno what they are. Or how to find out. But they're in ear bass enhancing ones that were $100 down to $70 in JB Hi-Fi and they sound fucking rad. And have been going for like 9 months now, every other earphone I had went within a month or 2 before that. Pretty stoked.

EDIT: They're CX300II's. http://www.sennheiser.com.au/au/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_mp3_classic-line_502737

Another thing, I think part of the reason I got them was the long cord, and yeah it's really long compared to other earphones I've had!
Yeah I've got these as well. Absolutely changed the way I feel about earphones and ipods. I've had an ipod for years and never listened to it because I hated ear buds and didn't want to carry around headphones.

ViS

Likes Dirt
!

Do some of you lot let your earphones drag along the ground behind you as you walk or something?

I've had a pair of sennheiser CX500's for 2 years now, and they are still going strong. I wear them every weekday for the 45 minute bike commute to and from work, and on weekends when mowing the lawn etc. They get worn in the rain as well. I paid $70 on ebay from memory.

Seems that I'm either very lucky, or perhaps use a bit more common sense than others when it comes to looking after my stuff.....

Geoff Gump

Likes Dirt
I got some phillips headphones (replacement for my broken apple ones) for $4 at Harvey Norman, Ennoggera and I cant notice the difference. Great if you are looking for a cheap pair.

camo114

Likes Dirt
ill give you a free pair of headphones i got of a plane woody, they work better than ipod ones haha

Jon

Not Grip, OK... So don't ask!
Not bud type but stunning clarity and bass Sennheiser HD515, about $220 from JB Hifi.

fatnslow

Likes Bikes
I have the seinnheiser cx 300ii and they are good forthe dollars

Was out at WOW in fyshwich yesterday and they had them for $49.99 I ended up buying a set of seinnheiser HD435 for the PC which where nice and cheap.

Cheers
FnS

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i love the skull candy ear buds, absolute zero ouside noise, just pure musical bliss. the only fault i have with them is life span, mine died within six months but alas thats whwrew the lifetime warranty comes in :cool:
but if you can get a good deal on seinnheiser grab it by the balls, they are some seriously good kit, my mate bought a set ftom JB HI-Fi on wednesday for $50 marked down from $170 and they are UNREAL!!!

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok guys I'm digging this up as my pair of Sennheiser 300XII's went through the wash and are largely broken now so I'm in the market for a set of on-ear headphones. They'll also become my primary snowboarding headphones, so gotta be black + white.

Am currently at looking at these, but heard a million bad things about Skullcandy so I'm wary. Also I want to stay away from Sennheiser's, the CX300's were average at best imo and my HDR130's have also left much to be desired.

Budget is ~$200-$250 but anything less is much appreciated.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

Blythy

Likes Dirt
Ok guys I'm digging this up as my pair of Sennheiser 300XII's went through the wash and are largely broken now so I'm in the market for a set of on-ear headphones. They'll also become my primary snowboarding headphones, so gotta be black + white.

Am currently at looking at these, but heard a million bad things about Skullcandy so I'm wary. Also I want to stay away from Sennheiser's, the CX300's were average at best imo and my HDR130's have also left much to be desired.

Budget is ~$200-$250 but anything less is much appreciated.

Suggestions?
Sennheisers really are the shizz. BUT thats not what you want...
soooo..

Cant say how great they are though. Reviews seem to be alright..
also seems to have some handy features and the such
$175 from djwarehouse at the moment.. they have 30% off on them...

oh and a quick note Im picking up some sennheiser HD25's for my birthday soon. soooo pumped. Best set of phones ever :)

cheers..

mike

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've had average results with Sennheiser and Skull Candy, and fantastic in-ear Shures that were about $260, but they got crushed and I'm having trouble justifying another $260 or so. I did get 2 years out of them and the quality and noise suppresion was first class. At the moment I've got Skull Candys and they just aren't that good.

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
SkullCandy 'Full Metal Jacket'

These are iPod/iPhone ready, with inline mic (and button). Metal housing with braided metal lines... They look good, and sound excellent. Apparently produced in the same Chinese factory as the Bose in ear.

They are hard to find, and especially the ones with the mic inline.

Mine cost about $80, but they were bought in Singapore, and hard to find there too.

These will be replaced with another set from SkullCandy... once they eventually die.
Just got a set on ebay for $40, they're are a few stores on there that sell them with the mic inline, haven't arrived yet, but cannot wait to replace the apple shitters!

Plus, the mic means I can use the voice control & handsfree with my Iphone!!