Easton wheelsets?

Hipstar

Likes Dirt
Hey all,

So because I just can't leave things well enough alone, I'm looking at upgrading the wheels on my Anthem. Currently it's got the stock Mavic 819 rims with an XT front hub and DT Swiss rear.

Has anyone any experience with Easton wheels, particularly the EA70? They're bloody cheap on CRC at the minute and look great or do I go the tried and tested Stan's on hopes?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Hey all,

So because I just can't leave things well enough alone, I'm looking at upgrading the wheels on my Anthem. Currently it's got the stock Mavic 819 rims with an XT front hub and DT Swiss rear.

Has anyone any experience with Easton wheels, particularly the EA70? They're bloody cheap on CRC at the minute and look great or do I go the tried and tested Stan's on hopes?
You need t be absolutely certain you are getting a modern production version. The older hubs are a PITA. Hopes ftw, but only if you can stand the sound ( yes i have both eastons and hope - eastons are quiet)

Hipstar

Likes Dirt
You need t be absolutely certain you are getting a modern production version. The older hubs are a PITA. Hopes ftw, but only if you can stand the sound ( yes i have both eastons and hope - eastons are quiet)
They're listed as 2013's.

I'm not totally averse to noise, there's a set on eBay for 150 at the minute too. Although the easton are only 320 and new.

Big Tim

Likes Dirt
As someone who owns Easton and having the rear cluster fall off again. If say stay away from Easton.

SOTTA

Likes Dirt
Stans over Easton every day of the week! People I know have had plenty of issues with Easton. Proprietary spokes brake too often and can't be replaced as quickly or easily as on Stans and the rear hub engagement is crap.

haritone

Likes Dirt
I have the first iteration of the Easton Havens which I bought from Germany around 4 years ago.

In that time I have not had a single issue with them but am aware that subsequent models with M1 bearings had problems with unscrewing of the preload adjuster. Easton gave out free bearing replacement kits to affected customers - the EA70 was one of those wheelsets if I'm not mistaken. My model Havens were not one of those listed in the replacement program.

If they are just EA70 XC and not the XCT (tubeless) then I would rather go the Hope Hoops / Stans which I also have a set of. But yes, they are annoyingly loud at times but that's just more motivation to pedal!!

The_Taurean

Likes Bikes
My 2013 Spicy came with these (EA70 XCT). They've been great wheels for me, very light and easy to setup tubeless which is how I've always run them. They do have a low spoke count, 24 iirc, but I can't fault them in the strength and durability areas. I weigh about 100 kg's and I've beaten the hell out of these wheels including racing DH and Enduro on them. I also live in Toowoomba so they've seen a hell of a lot of rocks. They've taken it all with only a minor wobble in the rear to show for it. The problem I've had with them is their internal diameter of 19mm. It's just not wide enough to run tubeless without burping on big impacts, especially in the rear. I've changed to a Hope / Flow EX on the rear for this reason but I'm keeping the Easton on the front for the moment.
Overall, based on my experience, I'd recommend them. Especially at the price they're going for at the moment. The free hub is also damn near silent if that's your thing.

omac

Likes Dirt
My 2014 Zesty came with a vice xlt wheel set & they were the only thing that let me down, 1st the freehub bearings, then 1 month later the rear hub developed a creek so I ordered new bearings (I got the last set in oz) & I thought I'll go for one more ride before I fit the new bearings & that's when a spoke snapped going up hill:mmph: I then discover that there's no distributor in oz so I cant get a replacement spoke. At this point I decided to sell them for $150 & get a kick ass Zelvy wheel set with CK hubs & I haven't look back

BTW Iv still got the bearings if anyone needs them

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My 2014 Zesty came with a vice xlt wheel set & they were the only thing that let me down, 1st the freehub bearings, then 1 month later the rear hub developed a creek so I ordered new bearings (I got the last set in oz) & I thought I'll go for one more ride before I fit the new bearings & that's when a spoke snapped going up hill:mmph: I then discover that there's no distributor in oz so I cant get a replacement spoke. At this point I decided to sell them for $150 & get a kick ass Zelvy wheel set with CK hubs & I haven't look back

BTW Iv still got the bearings if anyone needs them
Yep, Apollo only carry spares for the M1 hubs. Unlikely anyone in Aus will pick-up Easton again, given the trouble with their wheels since 2011.

The EA70 XC and XCT run the X2 hubs and they are easy to work on, but the freehub will tear-up pretty fast. Getting replacement spokes/freehub bodies is impossible.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Easton's whole global distribution is pretty fucked from what I hear. Apollo lost/let go local distribution a while ago & Sheppards (Avanti mob) took it over for a while, but then Easton themselves got bought out & pretty much all existing arrangements went out the window. So spares (which you'll inevitably need sooner rather than later) are even harder than usual to get.

Not worth the hassle.

Last edited:

Hipstar

Likes Dirt
Fuck that. I have better shit to deal with than chasing parts.

I have a French car for that!

Thanks peeps.

Rider_of_Bikes

Likes Dirt
I'm pretty sure Easton was purchased by the same owners group that bought raceface a few years ago. I hope this helps them get back up on top again.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Just btw, the spokes are std straight pull and not proprietary - the nipples however are. So break a spoke , no problems , inside the nipple - well, difficult, but you can get them from ebay in the UK with pretty reasonable postage.

The 2 issues are unwinding of the pre load on the bearings ( ironically introduced in order to help bearings last longer), and a freehub that can fail - this part seems difficult to get and expensive when you find one.