eBay/Paypal Concern

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
What @moorey said.

I wonder if you could insist that the buyer themselves must collect the bike ie. no proxy, and you draw up a simple document that they sign to acknowledge that they’ve personally inspected and are satisfied with the bike and have collected it. No idea if that would “protect” you against scam buyers or not.

Or you could just do what @The Reverend suggests.
Proxy =scam. registered buyer/eBay user who paid for the bike WITH Driver Licence or GTFO. Photograph both sides of DL + them. Get them to sign a form as other poster said that they are happy with condition of bike ie it is as described in eBay listing, and have taken/received the goods.

NO PROXIES.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
And get them to agree to on the spot blood, saliva, hair, urine and stool samples whilst you’re at it. Feel free to offer the same in return if they want peace of mind that you’re a genuine seller.

ForkinGreat

And get them to agree to on the spot blood, saliva, hair, urine and stool samples whilst you’re at it. Feel free to offer the same in return if they want peace of mind that you’re a genuine seller.
That might be your fetish, but it's not the reality of doing what's needed to give you a better chance of avoiding being ripped off by an eBay scammer.

Nambra

That might be your fetish, but it's not the reality of doing what's needed to give you a better chance of avoiding being ripped off by an eBay scammer.
Surely you jest? You’re suggesting even scammers provide stool samples now?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
7-8yrs ago, I sold a brand new high end laptop on eBay, a bloke used the buy-it-now and paid immediately. He sent me a message asking to come pick it up that night, I was a bit wary but it seemed ok. He came, picked it up and I took a photograph of his license... all good. I moved the $1000 out of PayPal into my bank account.

A few days later I got an email from PayPal, the payment was an unauthorised use of a credit card and my PayPal account was now in arrears to the tune of $1000, failure to make the account right in 30 days and it would be transferred to a debt collection agency.

Ends up old druggie mate used his father in laws eBay account that he was helping him sell vehicle parts on eBay as he wasn't very computer savvy. The police were involved and came to visit me as I had the photo of his license.... the police informed me that the meth head had went on a 3 day $40,000 buy up of expensive items, Laptops, Dirtbikes, Engagement rings ect, all bought on eBay, paid by PayPal, picked up then pawned off or sold.

PayPal are just a thieving middle man, they have zero clout when it comes to a CC company.... never attach a bank account to paypal and alway use your CC to pay PayPal, if something goes wrong and PayPal don't decide in your favour, just contact your CC company and lodge a unauthorised payment, they will take the cash off PayPal for you.

Coopz

Likes Dirt
PayPal are a awful organisation. I sold a pc video card on ebay 10+ years ago, hoped to get $50-100 for it, some clown using 2 accounts jacked the bidding up to 1 million, they never paid (duh..) , I filed a non payment dispute with ebay, they still tried to take $15,000 in commission from my bank account, my bank blocked them, PayPal suspend my account on ebay, PayPal then threatened me with a debt collector. I told PayPal the story, they said it was a ebay issue, ebay denied it was their fault and said it was a PayPal issue. I had to change bank accounts and freeze my card as they tried every day to withdraw their 15k. I only got it sorted out 2 weeks later by a friend who gave me the ebay Australia's managers personal number, I spoke to her and she acted shocked, said it was a system glitch and the dispute was closed a few hours later, but fuck me what a nightmare it was, all because of some ebay troll.

Nambra

Didn’t think a not so subtle shitpost to highlight the ridiculous measures you have to take to avoid being scammed these days would be lost on anyone...

Back to being serious - does everyone use two factor authentication on their PayPal account? Works well unless a merchant wants to be “pre-approved” when you use PayPal with them and they don’t give you the option to say no. Pretty sure eBay, Steam and PSN get you to do this, probably loads of others too. You need to login into PayPal to cancel these pre-approvals, otherwise 2FA is useless.

mark22

Likes Dirt
And Photograph their Driver Licence BOTH SIDES (in case of change of address). If the Name and address on the DL does not match that of the registered buyer, then NO BIKE FOR THEM.

That's how it works with any eBay Parcel point pickup. If they protest, refund their money and they can GTFO.
I certainly wouldn't let any random copy the details on my driver's licence.

ForkinGreat

Didn’t think a not so subtle shitpost to highlight the ridiculous measures you have to take to avoid being scammed these days would be lost on anyone...

Back to being serious - does everyone use two factor authentication on their PayPal account? Works well unless a merchant wants to be “pre-approved” when you use PayPal with them and they don’t give you the option to say no. Pretty sure eBay, Steam and PSN get you to do this, probably loads of others too. You need to login into PayPal to cancel these pre-approvals, otherwise 2FA is useless.
on Rotorburn it's hard to tell sometimes, if a person is shitposting to make a point, or whether they just like playing with shit.

I would have thought the only reason for pre-approval would be a recurring subscription payment, not a one off transaction.

As far as I am aware, every eBay transaction I've done has required a login to PP to complete the payment. I did buy off Steam once or twice, but I can't recall if I used PP or just a Credit Card.

ozzybmx

I certainly wouldn't let any random copy the details on my driver's licence.
Most nightclubs scan your driving license on entry as well as bottle shops in the NT.
Chemists in SA and probably other states scan it when you get the real deal Cold & Flu tablets with the pseudoethedrine in them.

I have no issue giving details to a random buyer of bicycle or expensive item but reckon if there was ever going to be a scam on license fraud, it would be the nightclub doors.

Nambra

on Rotorburn it's hard to tell sometimes, if a person is shitposting to make a point, or whether they just like playing with shit.

I would have thought the only reason for pre-approval would be a recurring subscription payment, not a one off transaction.

As far as I am aware, every eBay transaction I've done has required a login to PP to complete the payment. I did buy off Steam once or twice, but I can't recall if I used PP or just a Credit Card.
Just checked my PayPal account this morning after buying a couple of items from Pushys yesterday via PayPal, and Pushys had been automatically added as an approved merchant, which as far as I know means that next time I buy something from Pushys using PayPal I'm not required to login to PayPal, the transaction is automatic. I've certainly bought stuff from eBay where this has been the case too.

Unless I have some PayPal setting wrong, having a system that circumvents 2FA for purchases seems like a real flaw.

ozzybmx

Just checked my PayPal account this morning after buying a couple of items from Pushys yesterday via PayPal, and Pushys had been automatically added as an approved merchant, which as far as I know means that next time I buy something from Pushys using PayPal I'm not required to login to PayPal, the transaction is automatic. I've certainly bought stuff from eBay where this has been the case too.

Unless I have some PayPal setting wrong, having a system that circumvents 2FA for purchases seems like a real flaw.
Go to your settings in PayPal https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/settings/security and delete the permissions. While you are there set up 2 step login and get a code sent to your phone.

Last edited:

ForkinGreat

That is a concern, fair enough.

ForkinGreat

Most nightclubs scan your driving license on entry as well as bottle shops in the NT.
Chemists in SA and probably other states scan it when you get the real deal Cold & Flu tablets with the pseudoethedrine in them.

I have no issue giving details to a random buyer of bicycle or expensive item but reckon if there was ever going to be a scam on license fraud, it would be the nightclub doors.
RSLs do licence scanning now too. same machine as the nightclubs use. For non-members, anyway. If you are a member, you have already done that, and they just scan your card as far as I am aware.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Any update OP on the transaction?
I respect everyone’s vigilance but sometimes people just prefer to pay straight up.
Also mentioned it was a bargain and mint condition so possible the buyer knew full well what he was buying and wanted to lock it in.
There’s not been a shonky message about the guy being on an oil tanker and will get his brother/uncle/ friend whatever to pick it up that we’ve heard which usually accompanies these sorts of scams so who knows but I don’t see any cause to be paranoid.
Just cautious.