eBay/Paypal Concern

jakc

Likes Bikes
Sold a bike with an ebay auction over the weekend.
I listed in the ad to pay by cash in person on pickup, in the description.
My mistake, but I must have left the option to also pay by paypal on the item.

The seller has jumped to paying by paypal and wants to pick up first thing tomorrow.

I am a little wary:
  • I find it odd that they paid without first coming to have an inspection, or without asking me more detailed Qs.
  • They have been on eBay for a year, no negative feedback, but only a couple of small purchases with good feedback

As a seller - the bike is mint. Was hoping to get more for it. As described, nothing wrong with her, its a bargain.

My main concern is handing over the item (will have to be done in person), and then the buyer somehow revokes the paypal transaction afterwards. From my side, nothing wrong with the item at all, but from the stories – I feel ebay might be more on side with the buyer than the seller. They could say the item was damaged or not as described, and then I lose money?

Am I being paranoid? Something just seems a little off.

moorey

call me Mia
It’s a genuine issue.
I forget the scam, but something like:
He pays.
Sends someone else to pick up.
They collect, then deny picking up.
Buyer disputes the sale as he didn’t collect.
Buyer gets money back and a bike.

Yours sounds stinky.
My2c

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tell them how you feel via email / text (there's a trail).
Refund the money via PayPal.
Let them come and see it.
If they like it they pay via bank transfer.
If not, then no sale.
If they don't want to do business that way you've avoided a scam and move on.

I wouldn't worry about upsetting their feelings on this as you've heard one too many bad experiences.

If it were me buying the bike I'd be cool with that personally.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
What @moorey said.

I wonder if you could insist that the buyer themselves must collect the bike ie. no proxy, and you draw up a simple document that they sign to acknowledge that they’ve personally inspected and are satisfied with the bike and have collected it. No idea if that would “protect” you against scam buyers or not.

Or you could just do what @The Reverend suggests.

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
I’ve no experience with this issue though hope it all pans out well for you. Shifty people doing shifty things bother me;)

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
On the flip side of the negativity, I've paid by PayPal many times and picked up later. If I've got a few $$ sitting in my PayPal account I'll try and use it rather than paying to take it out. It's very possibly legit, but then I usually chat to them first...

Buuuut eBay are total fucking scumbags and will side with a buyer every time. Check out their conditions, and even take advantage of their live chat to air your concerns and seek advice. I know buyers can send things back with sweet fa reason and it'll cost you, I think things are different for pickup though. Stuff eBay, I'd prefer to deal with the scumbags on gumtree

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Protect yourself insist buyer pick up and pay. Stuff paypal for big items.
who in their right mind would not want to see the bike first if they have to pick it up anyway ?
Anything that seems sus probably is.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Surely paypal must have a 'confirmed pickup' function by now given they are pratically ruining their business by allowing these scams?

Something like, buyer pays via paypal. Picks up and authenticates before they run off with your stuff making refund irreversible.

jakc

Likes Bikes
Thanks everyone! Will be refunding the guy now via paypal, and then communicating that cash only as per the ad description.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I'd get a mobile number (and check it rings their phone while they're there), photo/copy of their driver's license and get them to write up and sign a receipt for pick-up either way.

Pretty sure you can straight up kill the sale if you're too freaked out by marking it "Item no longer available/damaged" or something along those lines - You may be killing a sale that's perfectly legitimate though.

Biggest thing that freaks me out with eBay is the "Hey, you haven't payed me anything yet - but here's my address where I store said thing that's worth X amount of dollars...".

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One thing to consider is PayPal can draw funds from Credit Cards.
It could be that they want to use PayPal so this method can be used, they may not have the cash to purchase.

It may just be that they are legitimate but need to pay via CC.

But generally speaking, if your gut feel is something seems amiss, then it's best to exercise caution

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
There should be an email address attached to the paypal acct. You could email that confirming the sale. If it is a hijacked account you will know soon enough. Hold off any handover until you get a reply. Then as suggested above photograph everything anf have them sign a receipt, confirm the signature agaisnt a licence or card.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Saw on FB over the weekend that some poor bugger got relieved of his Giant Reign he was selling on scumtree. Some arsehole turned up pretending to be a local who lived around the corner (explaining lack of car), wanted to take it for a test ride and just rode off on it.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Buuuut eBay are total fucking scumbags and will side with a buyer every time. Check out their conditions, and even take advantage of their live chat to air your concerns and seek advice. I know buyers can send things back with sweet fa reason and it'll cost you, I think things are different for pickup though. Stuff eBay, I'd prefer to deal with the scumbags on gumtree

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
eBay have jumped the shark after jacking up their selling fees anyhow and invited larger companies on board opposed to folks just selling unused stuff in their closet. Mrs used to see quite a bit of stuff on eBay once but added costs and issues with buyers and the eBay processes ended it.

moorey

call me Mia
There should be an email address attached to the paypal acct. You could email that confirming the sale. If it is a hijacked account you will know soon enough. Hold off any handover until you get a reply. Then as suggested above photograph everything anf have them sign a receipt, confirm the signature agaisnt a licence or card.
But if guy sends someone else to collect, and can prove he didn’t personally come collect, and there’s no evidence of him doing so, he can claim he never got the bike and lodge dispute. That’s how the urban myth goes.
Only ever bought one bike unseen, unknown and interstate from Gummy. Did a lot of research on the guy first, and even rang the shop he said he got it serviced at.
Worked out sweet, but would never risk it without being really confident.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Photograph the pickup, including bike, person and car/number plate.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
And Photograph their Driver Licence BOTH SIDES (in case of change of address). If the Name and address on the DL does not match that of the registered buyer, then NO BIKE FOR THEM.

That's how it works with any eBay Parcel point pickup. If they protest, refund their money and they can GTFO.