eBikes - what's the current perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
I know of a fella who rides at 78 , been riding for years ,experienced , but fatigue was getting to him , and he has just brought one ,

He is really happy with it , reckons he will get a few more years riding in now

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I know of a fella who rides at 78 , been riding for years ,experienced , but fatigue was getting to him , and he has just brought one ,

He is really happy with it , reckons he will get a few more years riding in now
I lent my ebike to a mate going onto 68. It put a smile on his face knowing he can add another few years of riding - he still gave me some lip about riding an ebike though haha.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
If you are going, let us know how they run the scrutineering, if at all. As an ebike recreationalist, I disagree with IMBAs direction, but I can see why they did it. It really comes down to the point that if they own the space, they have control over it at least.
I`m flying solo so I will try and see what they do but I think I`ll be more focused on myself . The Rocky Trail people certainly know what they are doing so their judgement is good enough for me .

MarioM

Likes Dirt
I lent my ebike to a mate going onto 68. It put a smile on his face knowing he can add another few years of riding - he still gave me some lip about riding an ebike though haha.
It certainly has divided a lot of feelings . When I ride at Greenvalleys most of them see the merit and are all for it ( even younger people ) but are hopeful technology evolution will bring it to trail bike weight or close enough to . I`m not advocating it but when we sit with little Johny and talk of old times on the bike wouldn`t it be better if you were actually out there maybe not shredding but at least riding with him / her ?

Flow-Rider

Burner
It's funny because of all the people in my riding group that say they'll get one when they're old, it's always the ones that whinge when we climb trails. There's a bloke here that's almost 80 that does long climbs and can out climb most in that group half his age. I haven't ridden with him but seen him on bike paths a few times and even the council workers have a double look when they notice how old he is.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
It's funny because of all the people in my riding group that say they'll get one when they're old, it's always the ones that whinge when we climb trails. There's a bloke here that's almost 80 that does long climbs and can out climb most in that group half his age. I haven't ridden with him but seen him on bike paths a few times and even the council workers have a double look when they notice how old he is.
Ha ! I too whinge about the climbs - even though I`m good at climbing . I`ll go as long as possible before even thinking about it . Touch wood we`re all riding like your mate is at 80 and beyond .

Flow-Rider

Burner
Ha ! I too whinge about the climbs - even though I`m good at climbing . I`ll go as long as possible before even thinking about it . Touch wood we`re all riding like your mate is at 80 and beyond .
Yeah, let the bike gods take pity on us and let us ride out until our days are up. (Even till you're 70 then maybe e bike.) :tape:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Doesn't everyone whinge about climbs?? They never get easier. We just get faster.
Strangely this doesn't change much with an ebike.

On a similar note *facepalm. One step forwards, two steps back.
https://newatlas.com/ebike-selle-bmw-seat/51447/

So, why do e-bike riders need a different type of saddle? According to Selle Royal, riders are being exposed to a totally different type of force when they accelerate on an e-bike, which makes them more likely to slide off a flat, conventional bike seat. The company goes so far as to claim that sliding off flat saddles are the number one cause of e-bike accidents.

Last edited:

birdmanoz

Likes Bikes
Picked up one of these recently to add to the stable. Haibike 2018 Allmtn7 Great bike and definitely helps you get out there if not in top climbing shape or have injuries or niggle from age.

I wanted to stay out of the debate until gave it a real try for trail and commuting. I can safely say after using for both that these have a place and will grow in popularity as they have overseas. Having lived part time in Bright Vic and moved away, without this bike there is no chance i could return for a weekend and keep up with my friends on some of that terrain. Plus i can get to work (10km some moderate to small climbs) with medium pedal support and not really sweating. Then ride home with less support for more of a workout. I'm keeping my Giant Anthem 29 because its half the weight but this thing is definitely fun and getting me back outdoors for longer rides than would otherwise be possible.

haibike2018.jpg

birdmanoz

Likes Bikes
I know there will come a day when age will force me into a similar circumstance.
True. Definitely extends riding options. Funny I did a few loops on Sunday that involved climb and decent. I reckon I would have been stuffed and needed a break after one of the single track climbs on normal bike but with emtb got to enjoy a bit more. Still a workout because i don't really use the upper support boost modes. I don't think anything above medium boost for tight single track is required or wise. Too easy to overshoot corners. Great to be able to get out an enjoy trails and cruise around.

binner

Hath shat hymself
I'm in at the age of 50, so 2 years to wait. If Sams doing it I'm convinced. He has a few good vids thrashing the ebike

birdmanoz

Likes Bikes
Might be some big tax benefits as well. E Bikes (not normal bikes) seem to be considered FBT exempt residual benefits if the only real personal travel is between home and work or other minor irregular personal use. May be 50% effective cost reduction or more with GST and tax deduction.

binner

Hath shat hymself
Picked up one of these recently to add to the stable. Haibike 2018 Allmtn7 Great bike and definitely helps you get out there if not in top climbing shape or have injuries or niggle from age.

I wanted to stay out of the debate until gave it a real try for trail and commuting. I can safely say after using for both that these have a place and will grow in popularity as they have overseas. Having lived part time in Bright Vic and moved away, without this bike there is no chance i could return for a weekend and keep up with my friends on some of that terrain. Plus i can get to work (10km some moderate to small climbs) with medium pedal support and not really sweating. Then ride home with less support for more of a workout. I'm keeping my Giant Anthem 29 because its half the weight but this thing is definitely fun and getting me back outdoors for longer rides than would otherwise be possible.

View attachment 345104
I've been following these guys closely... I think they are at the front at the moment and now pilgrim has joined up I'm pretty much convinced that these guys are the go ....
can you do a full shake down on yr rig and let us get amped up!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.