eBikes - what's the current perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdmanoz

Likes Bikes
Thanks for sharing your ride style too guys (@bikie and @birdmanoz) though I still don't know if you're into birds, it does help to understand. Bikie what bike are freeriding on? Most readily available e-bikes really don't look suited to the task - geometry and components mostly. Birdmanoz...sadly you sound like a cliche of negative stereo type perpetuating of e-bike users. For health's sake I hope you aren't the build most people imagine too. Not saying it to be antagonistic just that you admit to not having the desire to put the hard work in. Understandably life style factors can impact the opportunity, kids work wife distance and so on are all real things.
I'm starting to worry about this mythical stereo typical eMTB rider you refer to. Half man half beast (or burger). So I understand what to keep an eye out for. Is he tall or short and would you say over 150kgs? 200kg? Is he white like the Yeti or black like the Gippsland Panther? Obviously has a few concerned. Lucky for me I am yet to encounter such terror as most most ebike riders have been of apparent good health and not so fearsome. I just hope if you come across me on the trail you don't cower off into the bushes before you say gday.

PS I've done plenty of decent rides on my roady up big mountains every week for years - you should be mindful not to prejudge people. If you think it might be unwise to walk up to a stranger on the trail and cast disparaging remarks to their face for no apparent reason then you probably shouldn't do it on a forum either.

birdmanoz

Likes Bikes
https://www.bikebiz.com/news/bikes-need-3rd-part-insurance-in-eu

Boom! There is some current perspective. I wonder what the ramfications would be for off road stuff. I'm not sure if MTBA insurance covers ebikes to be honest...
Was discussed above. The probability of this being legislated is questionable and then of course each EU state can choose to exempt. However its probably not a bad idea to require some form of insurance. I've reached out to RACV and Bicycle network and am yet to get an reply (will chase up). I don't like the idea of not being covered which is likely the case under Vic law. The good news is that some insurance co will offer cover and won't be that expensive. I'm happy with $100 a year for third party cover.

birdmanoz

Likes Bikes
no I mean power output
https://www.emtb-news.de/news/en/test-focus-raven²-pro/

Wow just read specs - it only weighs 14kg in large. Carbon bike. Guess its hardtail only but still good.

60Nm torque is pretty solid given current Bosch Cx is 75. 250w battery is obviously smaller than current crop but power output is probably less as well so that total support time is probably similar. Can be ridden without unit and reduces weight by 4kg to 10kg bike.

Review seems promising.

birdmanoz

Likes Bikes
Glad Focus seem to be on the right track. Looks good and not like some wierdo angled mess.
60Nm bonus torque should be handy enough for anyone.
Yeah I think this style solution might appeal to a lot more riders. If the big brands can ultimately get to a point where they are making a normal MTB and just give you the extra option of buying a motor battery drop in frame unit - that is a game changer. Some will still not buy the extra unit (because it would probably be $2000). Others would buy it for hell of it. Maybe to grab out of the car if the shuttle is done for day or to squeeze in one last run if they are cooked or have a niggle or short term injury. Importantly it would just be a normal bike with the option of a kit. Not a ground up ebike.

birdmanoz

Likes Bikes
Yeah pretty clean design. Motor system by Fazua. God knows how they can push that much torque through that design. My guess it they could probably make a FS bike with that setup for only a few KG's more weight. No idea but that might bring a FS version to say 16kg which is starting to close the gap.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah pretty clean design. Motor system by Fazua. God knows how they can push that much torque through that design. My guess it they could probably make a FS bike with that setup for only a few KG's more weight. No idea but that might bring a FS version to say 16kg which is starting to close the gap.
You're right, 16kg is getting good.

Status
Not open for further replies.