eBikes - what's the current perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Basic god-dam manners
Let's have more of that here as well. Given that the e-bike contributors here are a minority, inflammatory statements and sanctimonious attitudes toward non-ebike riders is drowning out the legitimate statements being made in support of ebikes. There are plenty of pedal-only riders here that can appreciate the benefits of ebikes and some might even concede that a pedelec on a MTB trail isn't something to be alarmed at. I can't see an issue personally, as long as the bike is legal and the rider isn't being a twat.

Let's face facts here, and it's been said before: unless it's a 200W or less powered pedal bike or an EN15914 pedelec, it's a motorbike and subject to all the design rules, road rules and regulations, not to mention having licensed and insured riders. If the home brew ebikers really want to be taken seriously, then their bikes would comply with the ADR (https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads/motor/design/adr_online.aspx), they would get them registered and be licensed and insured to ride them where they are legally allowed to. It's no different if someone was putting lawnmower or chainsaw motors on scooters, skateboards or anything else with wheels that can be made self propelled. The legislation already exists to cover ebikes (along with all other motorised vehicles), but it is being flagrantly ignored by those whose only justification to be riding illegal ebikes illegally seems to be "because I can", and are more likely to get away with it because their bikes are quiet.

All it does is cast negative light on off-road cycling in general, and there are enough 'all bike' haters out there already who think the bush should only be for foot/hoof/no traffic.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I mean is this thing 200watts or 250watts?… I reread the retort a few times and couldn’t make out what was he was on about… but, I doubt it is so low powered. OK, benefit of the doubt, if it is only 200/250watts, it must be slow as hell as it’s gotta weight a friggin’ ton. The e-motor in the rear wheel screams massive unsprung weight… let alone the batteries in the frame spar. So, 250watts to power that thing? Yeah right.

If they rode on trail bike trails or on their own e-trails, it would be fine… we could co-exist as we would be in parallel universes… but that is clearly not happening, as I’ve seen them with my own eyes on mountain bike only trails … and they are not hanging about, they are gunning it.

Alas, they are a cancer…
It has a button on it where you can flick it to pedelec watts and when you want a whole lot more you just flick the button back, hence my joke about nitrous.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Why the fuck would you take the risk to embarrass yourself like that at that level of sport.
No idea, it is interesting that they call it 'mechanical doping'. I guess some people have no morals or ethics and will do anything claim a win? Her dad is on the front foot and is doing a Warnie, claiming it was not her bike but belonged to somebody else...not sure why she was using it in a race then? While she is being thrown under the bus at the moment, logic says other people in the team knew, will be interesting to see how it plays out.

It also lends some credibility to the rumors from a few years back about riders using that technology in the TdF, if an U23 cyclecross rider can get it then it can't be that hard to get hold of.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
MarkL respectfully it would depend on the shock and stroke length no?

But is beside the point, Mods please close this thread, question was answered many, many pages ago.

Flow-Rider

Burner
It also lends some credibility to the rumors from a few years back about riders using that technology in the TdF.
I do recall seeing that also. Mechanical doping might just be a terminology used by Europeans, I translated a page and read the same.

Flow-Rider

Burner

Pretty sure the leverage designs sets the ratios and the shocks are designed or tuned to suit. Most frames are designed for one shock length so it positions the lever point in the original spot designed by the engineers.

MARKL

Eats Squid

But is beside the point, Mods please close this thread, question was answered many, many pages ago.
It is driven purely by the linkages. It is is rising rate from 0mm and flat between 181mm & 203mm of travel. A different eye-to-eye shock will only change where you are on the leverage curve, it will not alter the curve, let alone change it from rising rate to falling rate. To change the curve you need to modify the linkage or mounting point for the shock.

Last edited:

MARKL

Eats Squid
Hmm long skinny motor hidden in the downtube driving the bottom bracket? Only place I can see you'd be able to hide a motor in such a bike?
I read another articlehttp://velonews.competitor.com/2016/01/news/uci_detains_bike_cyclocross_worlds_394233_394233

“After one lap of the world championships, UCI took Femke’s bike in the pit area and tested it with some sort of tablet,” said Sporza journalist Maarten Vangramberen. “The bike was immediately sealed and taken. The UCI then called in the Belgian federation. When the saddle was removed, there were electrical cables in the seat tube. When they wanted to remove the bottom bracket, which is normally not difficult, they could not because the crank was stuck. Inside there was a motor.”

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Hearing a lot of hate from you guys. But co-existence on the same trail is possible with the right etiquette.

Same as the MTB guys being up against walkers on trails. I'm sure you all give way to those hippies. Same with a powered vs pedal bike. Basic god-dam manners
Nah, I can't agree with you there. Actually, to a point I can but my perspective is simple: I build my trails from scratch for one purpose and it isn't there to be used by people that I don't invite, no dig no ride kind of thing. Some of our trails are fucking hard and couldn't be ridden unless you're of a certain caliber. Some of the other trails are fine to ride but can be ridden up, people can case the jumps etc but I am very protective of my stuff as it's my body getting thrashed to build it. In that sense, what I say goes and people chancing that it's okay to do something other than what I intend is not cool and has had consequences. Motor bikes are not welcome on my trails for obvious reasons and E bikes aren't something I'd consider leaving the gate open for because most of what I've seen by E bike punters is a total lack of skill that would be better suited to them riding around with the kids at the markets.

E biking is not mountain biking. The fact that an able bodied person thinks it's okay to try to share trails with mountain bikers is part of the problem. If you don't get the point then you have a problem.

takai

Eats Squid
More seriously, what is the go with that type of kit. Been seeing them advertised all over eBay with some very dubious power figures attached.

I have long considered getting one and a cheap cargo bike or Xtracycle and using it as a heavier duty commuter/kids/groceries hauler. Figure an extra 250w cant hurt when the bike is 30kg plus kids and luggage...

More seriously, what is the go with that type of kit. Been seeing them advertised all over eBay with some very dubious power figures attached.

I have long considered getting one and a cheap cargo bike or Xtracycle and using it as a heavier duty commuter/kids/groceries hauler. Figure an extra 250w cant hurt when the bike is 30kg plus kids and luggage...
the cargo bike scenario is awesome.
youll find even ~8kw will be very handy to move shopping, kids, wife etc to and fro from your local business hub, go to the beach :happy:
youi can pretty much say bye bye to the car most of the time...

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I'm all for ebikes when it comes to stuff like that.

Ebikes are huge in China for commuting and have been so for well over a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.