eBikes - what's the current perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

kouta666

Squid
Natural evolution of the bike is to make it easier to ride. Like going from single gear to multiple gears all those years ago. Did all the early adopters of gears get labelled as cheating and lazy? Probably..... but now its the norm.

Are electric gears and suspension also cheating?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
This one always splits e-bike discussion: Perspectives on energy storage? (i.e. KERS for bicycles)

Putting the engineering aside, technically you are only using your own energy. In fact suspension is an energy storage system as well. However it fails the 'if it has a motor test'

kouta666

Squid
Yeah...I don't think you can blanket statement it with "if it has a motor it's a motorbike".
A motorised wheelchair has 4 wheels and a motor. Is it a car? :shocked:

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Yeah...I don't think you can blanket statement it with "if it has a motor it's a motorbike".
Pretty sure motorised scooters have to be registered to ride on roads or footpaths and there are maximum speed restrictions too. Doesn't make them a car, but they are legal to use. The chances of 'bad grandpa' putting a 10kw electric motor and some go-cart slicks on his 'e-scooter' and laying rubber outside the retirement village are far less likely than an illegal electric motorbike on a MTB trail too.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
The chances of 'bad grandpa' putting a 10kw electric motor and some go-cart slicks on his 'e-scooter' and laying rubber outside the retirement village are far less likely than an illegal electric motorbike on a MTB trail too.
Me and my mate plan to do this when we are old farts. If anyone pulls us up on it, we'd give them spiel of 'back in my day', tell them how hard we fougth against Isis on social media by liking stuff and had to actually type with our fingers on mobiles with an actual screen that you had to carry and would crack constantly. Then rant about how back in the day you couln't take EPO and if you did your bals would explode and how everyone hated e bike, but the new sram xxxxx000001 comes with a 5kW motor and vector thrusters.

Flow-Rider

Burner
sincerely sorry if i sound like a smartarse, but the title of this thread is asking what other bikers current perspectives are of ebikes, not weather or not they should be allowed on mtb only trails.
The thing is that the thread is started on false pretences, it's started by people trying to sell e-bikes to the public. That is why it has been greeted with some negativity and plus some of the corresponding posts on e-bike forums by the same posters. At the end of the day they are a motor bike, It's been hard enough to establish MTB trails in parks as it is, without adding more problems. The question was asked on a Queensland forum about 4 years ago, someone actually contacted a park ranger and the response was that they are classed as a motorised vehicle in National parks. On the footpath might be a different story for a pedelec.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Pretty sure motorised scooters have to be registered to ride on roads or footpaths and there are maximum speed restrictions too. Doesn't make them a car, but they are legal to use. The chances of 'bad grandpa' putting a 10kw electric motor and some go-cart slicks on his 'e-scooter' and laying rubber outside the retirement village are far less likely than an illegal electric motorbike on a MTB trail too.
As far as I can tell mobility scooter just have to apply to the relevant TGA as they are considered a medical device - or essentially a motorised wheelchair, so no one can sell, import or modify one beyond what is specified. That being said they are allowed on walking tracks that bicycles have been excluded from.

They don't need to be registered can be driven on the footpath, top speed is pretty slow 6-8kms tops, I see NSW legislation is 10km... that is flat knacker on a footpath with other people around! They can use bike lanes and paths, but anything on road, while not illegal his strongly discouraged.

On a side note your not allowed to be drunk when driving one, but also dont need a liscence.

The death toll from scooter accidents is massive! when you fall off one of these at 88, its the same as wrapping a car around a pole at 160...

Use to teach scooter use and safety at hospitals moblity clinic.

http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/stayingsafe/pedestrians/motorisedwheelchairs/

My aims in old life is to do naked burnouts on the wet grass at the retire village I have been sentence too, go out with a bang, before I roll it in a garden bed and cark it.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Nope, it's a motorized wheelchair, just as a bike with a motor is a motorized bike. Or in the common tongue, a motorbike.

Works just fine for me :boink:

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
As far as I can tell mobility scooter just have to apply to the relevant TGA as they are considered a medical device - or essentially a motorised wheelchair, so no one can sell, import or modify one beyond what is specified. That being said they are allowed on walking tracks that bicycles have been excluded from.

They don't need to be registered can be driven on the footpath, top speed is pretty slow 6-8kms tops, I see NSW legislation is 10km... that is flat knacker on a footpath with other people around! They can use bike lanes and paths, but anything on road, while not illegal his strongly discouraged.

On a side note your not allowed to be drunk when driving one, but also dont need a liscence.

The death toll from scooter accidents is massive! when you fall off one of these at 88, its the same as wrapping a car around a pole at 160...

Use to teach scooter use and safety at hospitals moblity clinic.

http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/stayingsafe/pedestrians/motorisedwheelchairs/

My aims in old life is to do naked burnouts on the wet grass at the retire village I have been sentence too, go out with a bang, before I roll it in a garden bed and cark it.
We might both be right... https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/registration/register/wheelchair/index.html
I saw the QLD rules first and assumed the other states were the same.

I also thought that if you hit 88 then you went back to 1955? Oh wait, you need a flux capacitor - can an ebike battery produce 1.21GW?

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
We might both be right... https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/registration/register/wheelchair/index.html
I saw the QLD rules first and assumed the other states were the same.

I also thought that if you hit 88 then you went back to 1955? Oh wait, you need a flux capacitor - can an ebike battery produce 1.21GW?
You buggers are strict up there! I don't mind those rules, first it was the bikies, now it's the geriatrics getting chased out of town!

Fair few requirements to getting one.

dont joke about it.
we used to be allowed to ride pushbikes over the Tasman bridge, in hobart, till the cops got sick of this old fart flogging it at 70kph over it in his mobility scooter.
now, there really isnt any (legal) way to get across, as the bridge footpath was built for peds, back in the penny farthing days, an is way too narrow.
after 12am is a different matter though.....

"The thing is that the thread is started on false pretences, it's started by people trying to sell e-bikes to the public."
nope, it was started by Darknight,i know for a fact he doesnt sell ebikes and had no such motives in starting the thread, but some ebike sellers have since added to the thread- hyena, samd,perhaps others.

"I also thought that if you hit 88 then you went back to 1955? Oh wait, you need a flux capacitor - can an ebike battery produce 1.21GW"

Attachments

Freediver

I can go full Karen
This doesn't have a motor.
[video=youtube_share;bKHz7wOjb9w]https://youtu.be/bKHz7wOjb9w[/video]

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
There's more than a few disabled souls with cripple carts out there that have golf buggy motors in them. I know this because my Old Man got caught out trying to drag race what he thought was an innocent young fattie with cerebral palsy through the local Westfield. Young bloke apparently laid down two 6 foot strips past Suzanne Grae's before the Old Man had even twitched his throttle finger...

Status
Not open for further replies.