[Edit] The Cromo look

jays_5000

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the answers before, I got the paint off with normal paint stripper, then with 3000 grit sand paper, sanded the rough bits...

But what I want to know now is how I get the raw standard Cromo to look like this.

Thanks guys.

Wattsy

Hornsby Cycles
get some paint stripper (looks like clear hairgel)
used it to get the paint of my dads frame and it worked
wonders, if not, just ask someone there

2 smooth

Likes Dirt
Gasket stipper works the goods. That wat my mates use to get it off there BMX frames...and theyre cromo.

tu plang

knob
Re: I need a quick answer about paint stripping.

jays_5000 said:
What's the best way to get the paint off a 4130 Cromo frame?

I've been told by some people that wet and dry sand paper will be the best and other people have said automotive paint stripper....

I need a fast answer because I'm about to head out to Bunnings to pick up what ever I need.

Thanks,
Jayson.
be careful with automotive paint stripper, get to much overspray on ur self and u will be in a little distress.

shauno

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sand paper? would that work or would it just scratch the shit out of the from too.

lotec

Banned
itd work, take too long and more effort :D and if it was fine, it wouldnt scratch the frame too much but it takes longer to get the paint off...

nicklouse

Likes Dirt
too get that type of finnish you need acess to a buffing wheel! but you wont get the heat marks as you will have removed them when sanding or buffing.

then clear coat.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
nicklouse said:
but you wont get the heat marks as you will have removed them when sanding or buffing.
Are you sure? I thought heat marks penetrated the whole way through the metal?
Or does it have something to do with oxidizing because its in contact with air?

nicklouse

Likes Dirt
do you remember metalwork at school (well we had it in the uk) and 'drawing the temper' on a piece of steel? straw bronze and the blue colours? it is only a surface oxidisation and can yesily be 'sanded' or buffed of/out.

neko

Likes Dirt
Use wet and dry and then buff with cutting compound and a wool buffer pad on an orbital sander.

Did you ever see that shitty old FSR I had? That's what I did with that. Also what Rob used to get his bullit back to a nice shinny finnish.

Ryan

Radministrator
Nicklouse is right. The oxidisation is totally cosmetic, only a surface marking. On most "raw" cro-mo frames the oxidisation is actually 'applied' after the frame has been welded by going over the welded areas with a blowtorch. It's only there because it looks cooler.

jays_5000

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've done the wet and dry after I stripped the paint and its all fairly smooth and back to the darkish grey colour. I will buff it back so it is shiny and then if I take it to school and give it a light go over the welds with the oxy torch, will that damage or weaken the frame at all?

Over all what I want is strength, but if I can make it look P.I.M.P aswell that's just a bonus.

wombat

Lives in a hole
jays_5000 said:
if I take it to school and give it a light go over the welds with the oxy torch, will that damage or weaken the frame at all?
Depends if you know what you're doing. I'm damn sure I wouldn't do it, but I can think of a few people who may have the know how to do something similar.

The clearcoat though will need to be bloody good, I've seen so many frames that come stock like this develop major rust problems very fast. IMO, it's really not worth it.

jays_5000

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks Womat, I don't think I realy want to take the risk....
I might just paint it in a dark grey colour, it look's so good atm that's all.

floody

Wheel size expert
good to hear you're working on the old girl already...
I was going to paint it pearl white ...