Effectively using a stationary trainer.

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was recently cleaning out the shed and found a Jetblack fluid trainer at the back, had completely forgotten I'd gotten it as part of a deal with the commuter bike a couple of years ago. Wanting to give it some use but was just wondering how to get the best out of it. Should I buy a cadence sensor and/or HRM to hook up to my computer and then find a level to stick to on that? Or just ride at what feels like it's working me hard?

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Assuming you are riding / racing, XC, Marathon, Endurance, or hell even just want to flog the local coffee/bike shop bunch on a group ride then read below, if not a trainer probably has very little use.

First thing to get your head around is trainers are painful but not necessarily boring, they offer great consistency when performing intervals and the like hence they can be a great too. Get yourself a speed/cadence sensor and a HRM this will allow you to perform targeted intervals and effectively using your time rather then just pedaling along on the trainer.

For what to do well it helps knowing where you are at with riding, or what areas of your performance you want to train... There is loads of info on "intervals" on the net, and if you want a guide downloading something like Trainer Road might be a help.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Yep, intervals with HRM. You need to know your threshold heart rate though to have much chance of getting any use out of it - threshold is more or less the max work you can do for an hour - you have to test to find it, not guess it from some formula. Average heart rate for race lap is not a bad estimate at all.

Then do intervals - intervals are usually around 10bpm over the threshold for 2.30 to 3minutes at a time, then recover for 6 minutes, do another interval, recover for 6 minutes another 2.30 interval, recover for 5min, and do one more.

Hard as fuck, twice a week for 6 weeks will give really pretty good gains for most people.

Alternate 2 - listen to music, do 3 songs at threshold, 1 song cool down, 3 songs threshold.

Both above need 10min warm up, 5 minutes cool down .

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
trainers become infinitely more useful with a powermeter - structured workouts are so much less hit and miss, far more productive and waaay less boring. if i didn't have my quarq i'd be doing lots of sufferfest videos though.

skinnybeans

Likes Dirt
I got some spinervals videos and used those. Some people find them pretty boring but I liked them and used them for 4 months straight as my only bike time.

Usually did 4 or 5 nights a week. I think it helped my fitness but I ride so slow around single track it's hard to tell!

I got a hrm and speed/cadence and connected them to my iPhone. Worked well and it's nice having numbers to look at when you get sick of coach troy's face!

Grant Stubbs

Likes Bikes
The sufferfest are great, you really notice some gains quickly. They are pretty tough but you get out what you put in.

You can buy all the videos and a plan from their website and putting it all together would bring some great gains I think

Jubas

Likes Dirt
I have a love/hate relationship with my trainer. While off the bike for three months recently, I invested in a Sufferfest-based training schedule which I found pretty good. The total setup looked like this:

• Jetblack trainer
  • Garmin HRM/Cadence sensors
  • Sufferfest videos (all but one I think)
  • Sufferfest training schedule (intermediate)
  • Subscription to trainerroad.com

The latter was what made the workouts more engaging. It can provide a virtual power output based on a simulated power curve for your trainer - I did an FTP test and set it accordingly. Then, it provides power based targets for all of the sufferfest videos as you watch them - rather than just the 8/10 intensity etc

Retesting the FTP after a few weeks made it easy to track improvement as well!

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What trainers are everyone using?

Im looking to spend about $300 and thinking fluid is they way to go. Anyone have any feedback positive or negative?

Also how many of you use a specific trainer tyre or is the wear reasonably on the standard tyes?

Jubas

Likes Dirt
I'm on a fluid trainer and it's been good. I essentially increase resistance by changing gears on the bike. I've got an old MTB set up with a slick tyre.. the wear on the tyre isn't *too* bad, but it's the noise that really gets me.. slick = low noise; mtb tyre = high noise

Pastavore

Eats Squid
What trainers are everyone using?

Im looking to spend about $300 and thinking fluid is they way to go. Anyone have any feedback positive or negative?

Also how many of you use a specific trainer tyre or is the wear reasonably on the standard tyes?
See my response in the aldi thread.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
See my response in the aldi thread.
Fantastic - thanks again.

Will definately take you up on the offer of assistance. I just revived this one for a more varied (non-aldi) view.

Thinking Im going to try the Z1 by Jet black. Seem to be able to get it with everything (matt, block etc)from the LBS for around my budget.

mapomatic

Likes Bikes
Keep an eye out on Gumtree and eBay. I got my Z1 from Gumtree with the block for less than 100 if memory serves. It's a great trainer, much quieter than the Aldi jobby I offered up in the Aldi thread. Important when you live in an apartment with a toddler.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Sorry, not trying to hi-jack the thread, but with winter coming and a baby on the way would a <$100 trainer be okay to keep up a bit of fitness or is it going to do something horrible to myself or the bike (tyres, rims etc)?

Noise doesn't worry me as I see a lot of people mention the constant "whine" of the cheap trainers.

Something like this perhaps?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-INDO...t=AU_Bicycle_Accessorries&hash=item5ae2d1c043

Thanks guys and girls..

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry, not trying to hi-jack the thread, but with winter coming and a baby on the way would a <$100 trainer be okay to keep up a bit of fitness or is it going to do something horrible to myself or the bike (tyres, rims etc)?

Noise doesn't worry me as I see a lot of people mention the constant "whine" of the cheap trainers.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-INDO...t=AU_Bicycle_Accessorries&hash=item5ae2d1c043

Thanks guys and girls..
Mate I think Pushys has a cascade on special at the moment for about $220 which seems to get pretty good reviews.

Im still looking so reviviing the thread might help!

Hugor

Likes Dirt
I really rate the Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll trainer that I use.
I stiffen it up so that it only rocks sideways a small amount but it still bobs up and down a bit.
It is much kinder on your rear end and the the slight sideways rock is much more natural.
I have tried other peoples trainers and the absolute rigidity is what really kills your arse.

I have all the Sufferfest videos, trainerroad software and a couple of the epic rides videos.
Sometimes I just watch TV or videos whilst maintaining a given power target.
When the weather is shit or I'm too busy with work like right now my trainer does more kms that my bike.

Even when I have the time I try and do at least one threshold session per week on the trainer.
Whilst its no replacement for real riding, its much more effective and efficient for building up fitness.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski

Thanks guys and girls..
I thought the same when I got my cheap mag trainer. What's a bit of noise? Just turn the music up right? Nope, the noise is horrible for you and everyone around you and the feel is like a cheap exercise bike, just wrong.

Do yourself a massive favour and spend a few more $$ on a used fluid trainer. They really are worth the extra cash, a $200 trainer that you use is much better value than a $100 trainer that you don't.

And another +1 on the sufferfest videos. I was just using the trainer to get moving again after a knee op, now its a part of the training week to week. My poor CX bike hasn't seen a trail in months

Sent from my Xperia Go using Tapatalk

g3rg

Likes Bikes
I have the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine, and I love it as its quieter than any other trainer I've used / seen. Resistance is good as well, I run out of gears / resistance quite easily on my cheapy from Anaconda that I bought years ago. The Kurt also has a published speed vs power curve which several bits of software can make use of - Trainerroad and Golden Cheetah being two.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
+1 on the Road Machine.
My first trainer but compared to a mag trainer I tested it is night and day. Solid and a great power curve.
I've been using it a couple of nights a week for a 1 hour session e.g. sufferfest video. I mix it up a bit between the sessions/videos but reckon the Fight Club vid is probably the best for replicating MTB single track fitness requirements.

The time passes quickly and the vid certainly pushes you.

It's no substitute for a real MTB ride but it is the best option for me with the 9 month old baby (domestic duties !). I still get out for two MTB rides a week but they can be more focused on fun / skills development rather than using those sessions for base fitness as well.

I'm looking at the Kurt kinetic road machine or cycleops fluid 2. Did some research and these seem to be worth the excess money you pay. Thoughts?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk