Electric Guitar

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
My Xmas present to myself!

tada.jpg

I'd been going back and forth for weeks about getting a Jaguar. Kept trying to convince myself I didn't need it, I already have the Jazzmaster, don't have the space for another guitar, etc etc. But it just wouldn't get out of my head. Then after seeing the insane price it was going for from Derringer's, I had to do it!

It arrived yesterday. I've given it a basic setup, new strings, lemon oil on the fretboard (Indian Laurel is DRY!), etc etc. Just been getting to know it.

I was so wrong about it being too similar to the Jazzmaster! It definitely has a character all its own. The Jag pickups are a bit more well-mannered, if that makes sense. The sound is slightly more defined, apparently it's to do with them cages they're in. The JM pickups colour outside the lines a lot more, and generally have a darker sound.

It does this thing where if you briefly palm mute a chord, it'll resonate the strings between the bridge and the trem. That would shit a lot of folks, but I reckon if I can learn to harness it it'll be a really cool thing.

The neck profile is juuuuust right. Not too skinny, not too chunky. The scale length is still throwing me off a bit. It's even shorter than a Les Paul. That'll just be a matter of getting used to it, though.

My plan is to just fook around playing it for a couple of weeks, then give it a more thorough setup once it's settled in a bit ("It's starting to realize it's a guitar," as master luthier Johnny Kinkead puts it).

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
We were out for dinner the other night and on the way home, there was this 4x10 cabinet on the nature strip. I thought, why not, it's worth a shot. Circled back, and took it home. Weighs a ton. It has done the hard yards, with plenty of road worn scars and bar gig beer stains. At home, tested it with a multimeter, all speakers are working and overall impedance good at 8 ohms. Plugged it in and it sounds great. As good, or better than the 15" Seager bin I've been using, maybe a bit tighter and less whoolly, but not much in it.

Had a bit more of a go with it tonight. Really cranked the Warwick, and the new (to me) 4x10 definitely handled the maxed volume better than the Seager bin. No flubbing out, just tight really loud bass. The Seager struggled with the Warwick on 10, but nature strip 4x10 sounded clear, tight and smooth.

The back is sealed, so, when I can be bothered, I'll pull the grill and one speaker to see what drivers they are.

I’m very pleased. I had been planning to build a 1x12 cab using a locally produced Lorantz speaker. I have them in some homemade PA speaker bins and they are awesome. But hey, even though I like building stuff for the satisfaction of the finished product, I’m more than happy to not bother, and go with the freebie 4x10 cab, that may be physically bigger than I wanted, but it has the headroom to accommodate my Warwick bass amp when it’s on 10… so, win win.

Anyway, I'll be able to give my mate back his Seager bin.

Bass Cab 4x10.jpeg

Last edited:

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Recently I bought a Zoom R20 16 track recorder, and I am very happy with it... unlike a DAW, I can sit on the couch or back deck, late at night and record guitar, bass and keys, to my hearts content. But its pristine recordings unfortunately showed up the deficiencies of my trusty Zoom G2 guitar multifx. I can't complain about my G2... it has served me well, for home use, recording and live work, but nearly 15 years had passed, and things have improved ... A LOT.

Having researched the crap out of it all... plenty of dudes pointed to the Nux MG30, as the biggest bang for your multifx buck. Artist Guitars have them for $425, so trigger pulled.

I've only had it a few days, so hardly a decent time to evaluate it, but PHARK... it is good. A/B'ed with the G2, it is night and day... like a blanket was lifted off. Look, I'm old and so my go to amps are pretty much the Bassman and Plexi, which are very realistically captured. I had a real Bassman in my music room for over ten years, so I really do know the tone, and the Nux is very authentic... the Plexi is too.

I haven't had a chance yet to tweak my own patches, but have had a minor tweak of some of the excellent default patches, which unlike most multifx of old, are in the main, quite good, and very useable.

Anyway, a new toy... so much to learn, but I think when I get my head around it, it is going to be, very good.

Nux MG30.jpeg