Electric Guitar

s7eve

Squid
I think you might be on your own now....haha
Might get a Schecter 7 String soon though to muck around on
Ah well I have five 7's and multiple personalities so lets just pretend there is more of us :D

I love Schecter Loomis's, I just got two in a trade but I will be selling one since I don't need two.

Cronar

Likes Dirt
I haven't been on here for a while, now that Matt is gone how many of us 7 stringers are left?
Present!

I've got a ESP LTD Stephen Carpenter Sig 7-String, love it, it's great fun trying to watch my stumpy fingered friends try and play it!

I've also got a question that one of you might be able to answer. Now keep in mind I know nothing about the electronic workings of Guitars. I've got a bass guitar, a cheap squire precision bass, plugged into a small Fender bass amp and when its turned on I either get an annoying buzz or a radio station? I can play over the buzz/radio but it gets old pretty quick.

Would the problem be with the guitar, lead or amp?

Cheers

Cronar

Likes Dirt
Cool, i'm hoping it's that

I should've checked it ages ago, but i just leave it plugged into that lead and go play something else.

I'll check when i get home.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Cool, i'm hoping it's that

I should've checked it ages ago, but i just leave it plugged into that lead and go play something else.

I'll check when i get home.
yeah probabvly the lead, get a good lead (good shielding and connectors) and make sure its only as long as you need it to be. No point using a 20ft lead in your bedroom.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Welcome to my retarded demos. I'm not great with demos, but here's me tele, amp, and a bit of crunch box all rolled into one.
Tele seems very nice... I want one.

Rest seems nice too!! What type of crucnh box circuit is it?

Garrath

Likes Dirt
Present!

I've also got a question that one of you might be able to answer. Now keep in mind I know nothing about the electronic workings of Guitars. I've got a bass guitar, a cheap squire precision bass, plugged into a small Fender bass amp and when its turned on I either get an annoying buzz or a radio station? I can play over the buzz/radio but it gets old pretty quick.

Would the problem be with the guitar, lead or amp?

Cheers
Could be a earth grounding issue. I just put a Tech21 RBI preamp thingy into my rack and I get a annoying hum coming through my speaker if I turn my master volume on the amp up to far. Took it back to the shop and it worked just fine with them.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
LJohn, two things:

1) Listening to those makes me want to learn guitar so bad.

2) You sound like Ryan :p

LJohn

Likes Dirt
1) Thanks, I think? Just go for it.

2) Well, I try ;)

On another note. Finally finished an instrumental acoustic piece. Came out alright. So much easier to make an acoustic sing compared to an electric.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
Why is it so quiet in here?

I transcribed the solo for Frangelica Part II by Vai too. One of the most ****ing awesome solos I've come across, not even for technicality, just for groove.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I transcribed the solo for Frangelica Part II by Vai too. One of the most ****ing awesome solos I've come across, not even for technicality, just for groove.
It is damn quiet.. isn't anyone playing or buying stuff.

Is that Frangelica Part II from Sound Theories or is there a different version on something else? Been meaning to check out that Vai recording as it sounds interesting. From the samples it sounds heavily Zappa influenced though... which for me is a good thing.

On another note. Finally finished an instrumental acoustic piece. Came out alright. So much easier to make an acoustic sing compared to an electric.
Post that up... would like to hear it.

I find acoustic much harder to make something come alive so to speak rather than electric. That's probably why at the moment I prefer playing acoustic.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
Yup. Went and bought Sound Theories. The whole thing is extremely Zappa esque. It's interesting in that same 'where the hell is it going' kind of way. Always a change in rhythm or feel. And Frangelica holds one of the sparse guitar parts. I'm now working on getting the sax part down on guitar. That's a workout.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yup. Went and bought Sound Theories. The whole thing is extremely Zappa esque. It's interesting in that same 'where the hell is it going' kind of way. Always a change in rhythm or feel. And Frangelica holds one of the sparse guitar parts. I'm now working on getting the sax part down on guitar. That's a workout.
I remember hearing an FM broadcast from one of these Metropole Orchestra shows and it was pretty cool, but Vai is capable of great stuff in the studio so it must be terrific.

I suspect LJohn you need to wrap your fingers around something tricky in the Zappa realm like the Black Page. Being able to play it was what gave Vai his original break with Zappa... really every self respecting Vai fan should give it a go!!! :)

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight

It should always be about groove, phrasing and flow, never about technicality:cool:

It's hard yakka transcribing Vai stuff, but holy crap can you learn some cool things.

Saving up for a Ceriatone... they're not expensive but got so many other things on my plate.

Strat is playing awesome, still havent got any recording medium though ><.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It should always be about groove, phrasing and flow, never about technicality:cool:
That probably sums up why Vai still has a musical career after all this time.

I would add that what really makes Vai so good is his notes.. he writes great melodies and hangs them on really nice rhythms.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
Vai has that magical ability to compose on the go. He knows exactly where his guitar will fit in a band, and exactly how to make it sound great. You could give him 3 notes in a particular key, only let him use those, and he'd still make it into something special.

He's a cut above the rest in terms of phrasing, rhythm, and feel.

Joy

Likes Dirt
Yes yes and yes. Glad to see everyone is coming around to the fact that Vai isn't just a wanky shredder.

I wish I was even half as good as him :-(