Electric Guitar

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes yes and yes. Glad to see everyone is coming around to the fact that Vai isn't just a wanky shredder.

I wish I was even half as good as him :-(
Coming round !!!.. heck been a huge fan since '84. :)

One thing I like about Vai, and I have seen him say so live, is that he knows his persona and tendency to excessiveness is a bit of a wank, but it is fun. Even my wife, who hates shred, likes Vai. She really likes the piano album where MIke Keneally did solo piano arrangements of several of his pieces.

Vai just happens to be a guitar "shred" dude on the surface. Underneath there is a hugely rounded musician that hopefully continues to keep coming out. I would the guy to get a few scoring jobs for films where he doesn't play guitar. That would really help round him out.

Anyone listened to Taste or Rory Gallagher? I've just been listening to "Born on the Wrong Side of Time" and they have a great sound. The bridge of that song is awesome. I would describe it as clean, haunting guitar.
An Irish piano player I know worships him... have listened but never really grabbed me... I guess just because I have listened to enough of that blues based rock from that era to really try. But yeah a lot of people rate him extremely highly.

Also make sure you say his surname right... its not "grrrr" its "hah"... like as in "hah hah hah". This might save your life if you mention him to an irish fan. :)

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Also make sure you say his surname right... its not "grrrr" its "hah"... like as in "hah hah hah". This might save your life if you mention him to an irish fan. :)
Haha! Thanks for the tip :)
Yeah, I agree, there is a lot of their sort of style around so its doesn't remain as special anymore. Still good to listen too. Might try and learn it when I get better. Although, I'm flirting with my Bass again at the moment. :)

mitton

Squid
Id have to agree with everyones Vai comments. Its nice to see he has a lot of appreciation. To me he seems to be the only 'shredder' who looks like hes enjoying what hes doing but also pushing boundaries. I think his stint with Zappa helped him realize the limitlessness of music. Any Steve Howe fans out there?

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so now i have a set income i am finalising my setup for gigging etc, im still looking for a strat but for now my shecter hellraiser will do.

im getting a ceriatone jcm 800 copy with the half power mod running into a crate 4x12 then into my pedals which are, tube screamer then phase 90 then analog delay of some sort then crybaby.

Not sure of the configuration yet but ill fiddle to find it im basically running that pedal combo on my pot xt live but i never really liked the tone it wasnt warm enough.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
im getting a ceriatone jcm 800 copy with the half power mod running into a crate 4x12 then into my pedals which are, tube screamer then phase 90 then analog delay of some sort then crybaby.
Nice setup of pedals... can't really go wrong with that.

I spent years wondering whether to put the wah before the distortion or after... never really decided.... remains a mystery to what I prefered.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight

I spent years wondering whether to put the wah before the distortion or after... never really decided.... remains a mystery to what I prefered.
Its made nearly infinitely harder by the fact that each distortion pedal interacts differently with other pedals...

I used run an SD9 with wah after, then started using a JapDS1 and had to use the wah before... who frickin knows....:confused:

bitterbro

Likes Dirt
get the malekko ekko 616 analogue delay. you can get some absolutely insane oscillations and it sounds very warm.

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
get the malekko ekko 616 analogue delay. you can get some absolutely insane oscillations and it sounds very warm.
yeah i want something versatile and warm ill have to check them out i have heard of them havent played through on though.

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt

i think ill just have it at the end thats how i normally run wahs but with the combo im running im not sure, with some distortions having it after i seemed to have a less defined sound. Im trying to get a variety of pedals as im trying to get a steady lead guitar gig with a band i want to perform bad and my band has no drummer any more. So if i keep a variety it opens my options a little as to which genres i can play.

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
ok a question from left of field....

having rebuilt my squire ive moved on to my 80's metal jap strat http://media.photobucket.com/image/80 metal strat/mazibee4/Strat/Fender_HM_Strat_001.jpg not mine, but the same. im repainting mine, and have it all stripped down after a colony of black ants decided it would make he perfect place to build their nest..... however ive noticed that the Kahler Spyder trem has seen vastly better days. does anyone know if these are interchangeable with Floyd Rose's? the body is routed through and floyds seem to sit higher than the kahlers anyways, are the mounting points the same?

maybee not the best place to ask but i thought id give it a go....

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
I played a Reynolds 50W head and quad today. wow. just wow. smooth creamy cleans with an overdrive that will melt your mother in laws heart... just awesome!

also saw the inside of a Valvetone Impact. i cant belive they fit so much into such a little box. great amp though, definatley a pieve of gear im never selling!

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
I played a Reynolds 50W head and quad today. wow. just wow. smooth creamy cleans with an overdrive that will melt your mother in laws heart... just awesome!

also saw the inside of a Valvetone Impact. i cant belive they fit so much into such a little box. great amp though, definatley a pieve of gear im never selling!
Dude, dont remind of the reynolds...:(

Joy

Likes Dirt
Thought I'd finally record something with my strat! Just a little jam over one of my favourite John Mayer songs (both guitar parts done by me).
I think the tone is pretty decent considering it's through a 30watt solid state Hughes and Kettner. I've played it through a stack of different tube amps (Fenders to ENGLs) and god it makes me want one so bad. I don't think I would ever leave my room!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5oTAHZFZ-w

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thought I'd finally record something with my strat! Just a little jam over one of my favourite John Mayer songs (both guitar parts done by me).
I think the tone is pretty decent considering it's through a 30watt solid state Hughes and Kettner. I've played it through a stack of different tube amps (Fenders to ENGLs) and god it makes me want one so bad. I don't think I would ever leave my room!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5oTAHZFZ-w
wow that sounds nice, what'd you use to record it?

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Very nice Joy, great work. What's the actual cable you use? (i.e. 1/4" to …?). Do you have any problems with latency? I've tried using a 1/4" to USB then into the computer and to monitor while recording was painful, way out of sync.

Joy

Likes Dirt
1/4 to 1/4. My soundcard is awesome because it has a 1/4inch input for recording. Never have any latency problems with cubase, but I used to with Sony Acid. But most programs have settings you can alter to adjust for latency