Electric Vehicles etc

Squidfayce

Eats Squid

not really a nikola truck though

Theres some great short docos on youtube about the whole scam. very interesting.

Ihis is the theranos of the logistics industry really.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I am not a fan of battery swaps, it's just not a good idea on what is really a very complex component. Especially one where charging rates are getting very good very quickly.
It depends on the use of the truck, if it's long haul or round the clock driving like in mining a battery swap at this stage is looking the better way to go.
When I was working for Caterpillar they were developing an underground loader that was battery powered. It requires a huge 500kw charger to charge it in 30min and using two chargers in 18min but only had a 2hr run time, so there was significant downtime each shift just for charging. With the diesel electric machines, they go a full shift on a tank.
Caterpillars competitor, Sandvik on the other hand have a swap out system so very little downtime involved.

The other issue with heavy vehicles is the sheer mass of the battery that eats into your GVM that lowers your payload capacity.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out though. I see it as a VHS vs Beta thing for the short term.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
It could be done the way a lot of semitrailers are operated in Europe. The truck is changed out and the trailer continues on its journey. Would require a huge investment in primemovers but is doable if the incentives and intent are there.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
It could be done the way a lot of semitrailers are operated in Europe. The truck is changed out and the trailer continues on its journey. Would require a huge investment in primemovers but is doable if the incentives and intent are there.
Yep this is the the way it could be done. Economically though, it needs a bit more of a holistic approach. It can't just be slightly cheaper than fuel, it needs to make a tonne of money on the solar generation on site and maybe even set up the warehouse as an exported or be part of a some kind of embedded network in a business park. In other words it needs to be more integral to the business, not jsut the logistics side of things.

Stredda

Someone I know shared this on Facebook…

The image he used is an Epiroc BATTERY powered LHD!! :rolleyes:

Stredda

to be fair, any extractive industry is pretty damaging to the earth. So if the guy's gonna bang on about this one, i hope they don't drive a car...
Or use a laptop, tablet or phone to post a load of bullshit.

Yes, electric cars are not all rainbows and fairy dust and they do require mining but no one is saying that that they are. Posts like this imply that the scientific community are saying that electric cars don't have any environmental impact whatsoever in their manufacture.

It's the same with people that carry on that getting rid of single use shopping bags or plastic straws is a waste of time because there's far bigger waste products out there. Sure, there is but every little bit helps and if no one takes the first step nothing will ever change.

Stredda

Last edited:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I don't think the battery thing is that big of a deal provided they can be repurposed (not recycled) at end of life of the car. They are huge and powerful things. Even something 50% degraded could power a normal home.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
another technicality but that looks underground maybe there is an underground lithium mine somewhere but all the ones in WA are open-cut and relative to things like the super pit (gold) and various iron ore mines relatively small. I've always thought the lithium mining is bad element of these posts is strange seeing as they seem to mostly be posted by people driving a big arse F150/Ram/Chevy whatever that used a shit tonne of iron to get built probably responsible for a very much bigger hole in the ground

Stredda

I don't think the battery thing is that big of a deal provided they can be repurposed (not recycled) at end of life of the car. They are huge and powerful things. Even something 50% degraded could power a normal home.
Looking at the new Tesla 4680 battery packs they have made it very difficult to repurpose a faulty battery pack due to making the pack a structural member and having all the cells glued together. They would be ok if all the cells were functional, but not as reusable as older packs.

another technicality but that looks underground maybe there is an underground lithium mine somewhere but all the ones in WA are open-cut and relative to things like the super pit (gold) and various iron ore mines relatively small. I've always thought the lithium mining is bad element of these posts is strange seeing as they seem to mostly be posted by people driving a big arse F150/Ram/Chevy whatever that used a shit tonne of iron to get built probably responsible for a very much bigger hole in the ground
Yes, it does seem that they call out a greener technology for not being perfect but are quite happy to have the worst environmental products themselves. Why call it out when you clearly don't give a dam anyway. :rolleyes:

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I keep getting heaps of negative EV stories in my social and web ads from car mags. Have started blocking them. Every one has comments from some fool quoting fake numbers about batteries.