Electric Vehicles etc

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I think it has been mentioned here before that Cobalt is used to refine petrol, something that the anti EV crowd either choose to forget or don't know.
Everything we do has an impact on the environment, we just need to make the least amount of impact we can while still living in the modern society that we do.
Lithium mining doesn't need to be the environmental nasty that it is in some places. Unfortunately, it's cheaper to get it from these third world countries. Australia has several lithium mines.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I think it has been mentioned here before that Cobalt is used to refine petrol, something that the anti EV crowd either choose to forget or don't know.
While it is all working well oil extraction is not creating toxic lakes and so forth, but then when it goes wrong... Only 200 incidents per year apparently:

"The global thirst for crude oil for transportation, heating, plastic production, and the like have resulted in thousands of oil spills over the years. According to data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, which tracks spills throughout the U.S. and abroad, almost 200 incidents have occurred annually for many years running."

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Everything we do has an impact on the environment, we just need to make the least amount of impact we can while still living in the modern society that we do.
Lithium mining doesn't need to be the environmental nasty that it is in some places. Unfortunately, it's cheaper to get it from these third world countries. Australia has several lithium mines.
Indeed we have the largest lithium mine in the world at Greenbushes I have been to have a look as I drive past it all the time it's not really very big by WA mine standards, Iron Ore mines in the Pilbara dwarf it as does the super pit in Kalgoorlie. Australia is the worlds biggest lithium supply by a decent margin, again not picked up on by the Anti EV brigade. Tesla gets plenty of lithium from WA but I'm sure there is Chilean brine in their supply chain too.

It's actually one of the rare things that Australia has started refining the raw materials (in limited quantities) rather than just shipping raw materials all directly to China, still a long way from making batteries here but it's a start.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I'm pretty sure even Fremont RWD is now shipping with LFP.
Oh yes that’s right - imported CATL packs from the Shanghai plant. But jsut the standard - the performance stuff uses the Panasonic cells from the US gigafactory.

Texas and Berlin Model Y use the new structural packs.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Along those lines, does anyone know if they are still 18650 cells? Or have they moved to 21700?
The new cell format is used in the structural packs - Texas and Berlin Model Y. 18650 still used in Performance 3 and Model S and X.

Not sure what they're using in the Semi, but I thought it was the new one but i dont think theyre structural packs.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Were these accidental incidents or was it some kind of kinky experimentation?
pretty much the same as Haakon. Happens more often in rural areas than you think.

I went to boarding school in country NSW for a year and there wasn't one boy that hadn't experienced it at least once. There were a couple that would do it as a dare for a ciggie too., so....yeah there's that lol