Electric Vehicles etc

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
He gave me one of my favourite photo’s on the internet.

Ahahahahaha, what a fucken goober.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
For those who believe Musk created an EV market, you need to bear in mind that greater forces in the past have stymied EV production:

Elon didn’t do anything amazing, he’s just created a company at a better time in history to succeed. Big fucking deal.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
For those who believe Musk created an EV market, you need to bear in mind that greater forces in the past have stymied EV production:

Elon didn’t do anything amazing, he’s just created a company at a better time in history to succeed. Big fucking deal.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie

Haakon

has an accommodating arse

Im not clear on why the hate? Like all success stories of this nature, of course there is a timing element. But he pulled it off and no one else did so gets the credit.

Id say Tesla is a pretty big deal.

As for the EV1 fiasco, that was a different situation - that was GM forced into it, and doing all it could to kill it. GM spent a lot of effort trying to kill off Tesla too and its only after the Model S reset the market’s expectations of what an EV could be that they had to change their tune.
But yes, other factors came into it - VW diesel gate being a major one that pressured regulators globally to crack down even harder on emissions.
And of course more recently increased regulatory controls on GHG emissions for automakers. But again, if EVs were left to Nissan and others, they’d still be short range slow clown cars no one wants and the regulators would not be able to push as hard as they are now.

So yeah, Musk is a weirdo personality wise, but who the fuck cares...? He got the job done and good on him. Wish I had the smarts and opportunity to join those dots and make it happen.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I have to admit I don't mind the look of the cybertruck. Looks like it would be a rad shuttle vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

gillyske

Likes Dirt
In regards to the truck I think Tesla is testing the waters here. If the public is willing to buy a truck that looks like that imagine what they can save in manufacturing time and costs? Has to be the simplest panels on a vehcile ever.

But I agree with everyone else Musk is a cunt, be careful how much good will we afford to the super rich. Remember that they avoid paying taxes but have no issue leveraging our society to build their empires.

Haakon

In regards to the truck I think Tesla is testing the waters here. If the public is willing to buy a truck that looks like that imagine what they can save in manufacturing time and costs? Has to be the simplest panels on a vehcile ever.

But I agree with everyone else Musk is a cunt, be careful how much good will we afford to the super rich. Remember that they avoid paying taxes but have no issue leveraging our society to build their empires.
The only automaker to pay back their government loans. And did it ahead of schedule.

Haakon

Is this considered philanthropy these days? Managing a business well?
umm. No? But it does suggest it’s not all about the money for all companies as you implied.

Look, I don’t know the guy, never met him so can’t make any real claims as to his intentions or motivations or general likability. Neither can anyone else here.
But I do know the areas he has decided to focus his efforts on are a demonstrably net positive to society, and if it were just about money there were easier and more profitable ways to do it.

Haakon

Net positive to society!

And there it is folks
How is it not? Were it not for Tesla, all those EVs would be Dino juice cars and would be for the foreseeable future. As for Space X, yes I consider markedly driving forward the ability of humanity to be spacefaring as very important.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I have to admit I don't mind the look of the cybertruck. Looks like it would be a rad shuttle vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
You could use it to charge up your e-bikes too!

I don't mind it either. Yes, it looks different, but there have been plenty of other controversial vehicles out there and most of them age badly. Ford Taurus, VT dunnydoor etc.

Either Elon's a big Arnie fan or he's smoked too much ganja and gone and hired the Total Recall prop-makers as designers.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
How is it not? Were it not for Tesla, all those EVs would be Dino juice cars and would be for the foreseeable future. As for Space X, yes I consider markedly driving forward the ability of humanity to be spacefaring as very important.
He didn’t invent the EV!

Prove to me that society is better off with premium EVs being available to purchase.

Hint: it’s fucking not!