Electric Vehicles etc

Scotty T

Walks the walk
The RadWagon is... rad. I reckon electric bikes are fantastic for saving fuel and for commuter and cargo style bikes incentives could be good.

Just getting someone using an e-bike for a lot of their local trips instead of a car (electric or not) would be a good outcome. So many two car families could do it with not a lot of effort. Charging your typical e bike takes about 1/60th of charging one of the smaller EV's, 0.5kw/h compared to 30+.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I hope a lot less than retail, because I'd like one but budget will not go that far!
Low 40s on car sales at the moment. Usefully cheaper than a Model 3, but then again the Model 3 is a much much better car.... Leaf is out because poor battery tech. Zoe overpriced in our market (and Renault has ditched it from Australia anyway, they are only going to sell fecking suvs now :( ).

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Nice. What are they actually (as opposed to what they are asking) going for these days?
Around $50k mark if buying from dealers. They’re PITA to get tbh as not all Hyundai dealers have them.

Low 40s on car sales at the moment. Usefully cheaper than a Model 3, but then again the Model 3 is a much much better car.... Leaf is out because poor battery tech. Zoe overpriced in our market (and Renault has ditched it from Australia anyway, they are only going to sell fecking suvs now :( ).
Test drove model 3 myself and oh boy I would love a Tesla myself. They’re just very nice to drive. Then again we couldn’t really justify the price and we thought we might end up racking up speeding fines as the car just move fast without it feeling fast if u know what I mean.
Plus, u can’t really fit a MTB inside the car. The boot is just not big enough. So that’s a big no no. Roof rack is a waste of time as it chews up your battery.

The ioniq is just perfect. Range is reasonably high - 311km, but less if u r driving solely on highways. Boot was massive. Can fit 3 mtbs with wheels off. We managed to fit 2 long enduro bikes without any hassle. It’s very nice to drive as well. The acceleration is just superb.

Haakon

Around $50k mark if buying from dealers. They’re PITA to get tbh as not all Hyundai dealers have them.

Test drove model 3 myself and oh boy I would love a Tesla myself. They’re just very nice to drive. Then again we couldn’t really justify the price and we thought we might end up racking up speeding fines as the car just move fast without it feeling fast if u know what I mean.
Plus, u can’t really fit a MTB inside the car. The boot is just not big enough. So that’s a big no no. Roof rack is a waste of time as it chews up your battery.

The ioniq is just perfect. Range is reasonably high - 311km, but less if u r driving solely on highways. Boot was massive. Can fit 3 mtbs with wheels off. We managed to fit 2 long enduro bikes without any hassle. It’s very nice to drive as well. The acceleration is just superb.
Just put a towbar on the 3 and use a rack? MTBs inside the car is a recipe for a trashed interior and a massive pain in the butt taking wheels off all the time...

The engineer part of my brain dislikes ICE platforms that are converted to EV... But if it works for you that’s all cool - every EV on the road is a good EV!

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Just put a towbar on the 3 and use a rack? MTBs inside the car is a recipe for a trashed interior and a massive pain in the butt taking wheels off all the time...

The engineer part of my brain dislikes ICE platforms that are converted to EV... But if it works for you that’s all cool - every EV on the road is a good EV!
Well none of the EVs are approved to have towbar installed. Not even the model 3. I think you can do so for model X but hell that car is super expensive! I was gonna go for the Kona and get the towbar which fit the petrol Kona, but it is so small!

I much prefer bikes stored in the car as then i don't need to worry it falling off the rack or what not. It's a pain having to take front wheel off all the time, but at least it's only the front. I left the rear on.

Yeah well I'm not a big fan of EV made by ICE manufacturer either, but they're the only ones that are affordable at the moment. Tesla said their car never ever need to be serviced unless something has gone wrong, which is in keeping with the nature of electronics, but Hyundai want us to bring the car in every year and don't want to say what they do during service, which i thought is strange but meh whatever.

There is a petrol and hybrid version of Ioniq, so i don't know if they're designed ground up as EV. But the car certainly drives well and very powerful.

Haakon

Model 3 has a towbar. Factory option in europe and US at least, and plenty of towbar shops in Australia make one for it as well. The factory one is a European style Brink removable you could always buy and ship here.

Brink also make a towbar for the Ioniq. Google tells me there are a bunch of threads on the European ioniq forum about. https://www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bars/tow-bars-for-hyundai/hyundai-ioniq-towbars.html

But each to their own, i find a rack perfectly safe (just get a good rack...) and i dont want a dirty bike in the car. And all the faff putting down seats etc etc - much easier to spend 5 seconds dropping the rack on the car, and 10 putting the bike on the rack ;)

Attachments

Haakon

Ioniq is a development of the i30 platform. Except the EV version gets a cheaper beam rear axle rather than the multilink of fossil version - its more compact and the battery is big... And no frunk.

Same story with the Zoe, just an electric Clio.

But this is fine really, whatever works to get them to market frankly - like i said, any EV is a good one. When we bought our last (and I think our last) ICE the Ioniq was just released and a good 20K more than we had to spend... Leafs are crap and left us having to skip this round and wait for a used Model 3 in a few years.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I'm very surprised manufacturers are still mostly targeting mid/high-end cars with EVs.

First one to market with an EV (with a decent battery pack) at around the $30-35k mark is going to sell an absolute boat-load of cars IMO. Customer demand is definitely there for EVs, but not so much in the feature-loaded (often overloaded) small cars that are $50k+ range.

Mid-spec hatch (cruise, A/C, elec windows, GPS, reverse camera) at $35k and they'd be flying out of the salesroom.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I'm very surprised manufacturers are still mostly targeting mid/high-end cars with EVs.

First one to market with an EV (with a decent battery pack) at around the $30-35k mark is going to sell an absolute boat-load of cars IMO. Customer demand is definitely there for EVs, but not so much in the feature-loaded (often overloaded) small cars that are $50k+ range.

Mid-spec hatch (cruise, A/C, elec windows, GPS, reverse camera) at $35k and they'd be flying out of the salesroom.
I think mid-sized SUV would be more popular based on what I see around local schools. Know plenty of parents that are holding on to their current ones at the moment holding out for an electric replacement.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981

Size issues aside, they'd have my money

Haakon

Thats what they cost in the US and Europe... Australia is hopeless. Peugoet e208 is around that money, Zoe even cheaper ($50K here :rolleyes: ). Nissan Leaf in the US is low 20s.

The Ioniq is really a 35K car - at that price id possibly consider it. https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/vehicles/ioniq-electric

But thats what tesla is getting towards. Cost of batteries are falling super fast, but its still a big part of the cost. Model 3 is still selling as fast as two factories (and soon to be a third) can make them, so the market is there.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered

Agreed, but what I'm really after is an e-tractor.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Thats what they cost in the US and Europe... Australia is hopeless. Peugoet e208 is around that money, Zoe even cheaper ($50K here :rolleyes: ). Nissan Leaf in the US is low 20s.
Same in South Korea. Last time I was in Seoul e-Niros, Konas and Ioniqs were everywhere. A Kona in South Korea retails for about $30K Australia. They would fly out the door here at that price.

China is where it's really happening for electric cars as a list of locally produced models available there shows.

Speccing up models is an attempt by manufactures to make them look more attractive given the high list price because of battery cost.