Electric Vehicles etc

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
We shouldn't individually own cars, parked in our driveways. We should share cars, parked in neighbourhoods. It would radically reduce the number of cars required.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
@hifiandmtb I guess what I miss from your posts about CC on here (which I largely agree with) is a proposed alternative... What do you see being the solution(s)?

E.g. I agree with your point about car ownership, but realising such a vision requires holistic cultural change in the way our communities operate and our cities are built which takes longer than we have to address CC by your own reckoning. So while it should remain the target, what's the pathway? All our CC problems are like that - they necessitate huge change - but it's not a one step thing.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just throwing in - as i have nothing of value to add
GM have just signed an agreement with Nikola - to devolp a truck - engineering and manufacture - 2025 is end date of MOU
In the US - Eastern States are shutting down Nuclear Plants and rebuilding / refitting as Coal
( the world is back wards ..)
The bulk of manufacturers agree that there is not enough capacity to Design / supply and build EV batteries for a mass market
In the US they build 6.5 million vehicles a year - less than 240,000 are EV
The infrastructure will not / cannot support for at least 5- 10 yrs

No , I'm not a denier - the technology i incredible - but we must reduce the emissions from our ( actual ) existence as opposed to hoping ev will do it - HiFi is correct .
Unfortunately , we live in a world where big business just wants to be big - if we can show the way forward as being profitable they will be over it
to quote HiFi " Bullshit marketing "

Petero

Likes Dirt
Imma weigh in here, for me it is simple - what's the most abundant element on earth?

Hydrogen can be produced, captured, transported, burnt for heat, converted to electricity...

The technology is not quite there and price to do this is high. But from a future perspective, that's my money for the solution to CC.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Imma weigh in here, for me it is simple - what's the most abundant element on earth?

Hydrogen can be produced, captured, transported, burnt for heat, converted to electricity...

The technology is not quite there and price to do this is high. But from a future perspective, that's my money for the solution to CC.
Who else wants to have a go at this one?

hint - hydrogen isn’t a source of energy ;)

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
E.g. I agree with your point about car ownership, but realising such a vision requires holistic cultural change in the way our communities operate and our cities are built which takes longer than we have to address CC by your own reckoning. So while it should remain the target, what's the pathway? All our CC problems are like that - they necessitate huge change - but it's not a one step thing.
Which part of this graph means we don't require a huge change?

We can talk about EVs just in the context of "new shiny thing", meaning we can continue our luxury lives, I'm ok in that context.

But when someone says "every little thing helps", they are speaking bullshit.

Freediver

I can go full Karen

It takes energy to create and store hydrogen and that has to come from somewhere and if you think that somewhere is more hydrogen then you just don't get physics.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Yeah absolutely agree, but the ability to store the energy created as a gas (possibly liquid) is a far better option that batteries IMO.
I guess you don't realise that it takes enormous amounts of energy to liquefy hydrogen, nearly 4 kiloWatt hours per kg. That's around 15% of the energy you get back in ideal conditions which we don't have(losses from heat, friction etc). Pumped hydro can give you over 90% return and batteries over 95. Hydrogen is part of the solution but because of the wasted energy processing it, it isn't the solution.
That being said I am waiting for lockdown to end so I can grab some stainless of a mate to build a HHO generator and stove.

Haakon

Yeah absolutely agree, but the ability to store the energy created as a gas (possibly liquid) is a far better option that batteries IMO.
Fuel cells may possibly work in some very niche applications where their terrible efficiency and high cost isn’t a problem. But no way they’ll be a mainstream solution.

Hydrogen is not a fuel. It’s a battery. A very inefficient and expensive battery...

Last edited:

Petero

Likes Dirt
Fuel cells may possibly work in some very niche applications where their terrible efficiency and high cost isn’t a problem. But no way they’ll be a mainstream solution.

Hydrogen is not a fuel. It’s a battery. A very inefficient and expensive battery...
The efficiency is certainly not ideal.
I think the interesting comparison would be the amount of battery storage required for load balancing in a 100% renewable environment.

Haakon

The efficiency is certainly not ideal.
I think the interesting comparison would be the amount of battery storage required for load balancing in a 100% renewable environment.
Look up and read AEMOs ISP. It’s all in there ;)

The answer is a lot less than most assume.