Electric Vehicles etc

Scotty T

Walks the walk
We can continue the life cycle of the battery powering other things after they can no longer power cars too which none of the life cycle studies I've seen consider. There has to be some cars, they should be EV's.

I'm for more cycleways and e-bikes. The greater population however is too precious to spend the time and (small amount of) energy required to e-bike. Work from home and getting back on the e-bike when I go in has saved probably 500l of fuel for us this year.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Quite agree it is much better to have a small ICE car repaired than buy a new EV every 3 years in yuppie style but new pure, not hybrid EVs, are much simpler mechanically and theoretically well made with replacement batteries could do 500,000 km someone has done > 1 million kms.
Also like solar panels on houses ,once someone has an EV they become much more aware of unnecessary driving and economy.
The point at which its better the scrap your small ICE and buy a new EV is possibly at a lower milage than you'd think. Especially if youre charging off your own panels.

But like all modelling, it depends a lot on what assumptions you feed into it... Blanket statements are difficult to make and impossible to make in a way that applies to all circumstances.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
The fact that EVs are still more expensive than ICE cars is a concerning indication that they require a lot of energy to make and that they are being made for the wrong market to be an effective tool against climate change.

EVs need to he cheaper than ICE so the highest polluters can afford them (eg. less well to do people that are forced to live in the outer suburbs and commute crazy distances between their three casual gig economy jobs).

Haakon

The fact that EVs are still more expensive than ICE cars is a concerning indication that they require a lot of energy to make and that they are being made for the wrong market to be an effective tool against climate change.

EVs need to he cheaper than ICE so the highest polluters can afford them (eg. less well to do people that are forced to live in the outer suburbs and commute crazy distances between their three casual gig economy jobs).
VW has price parity in about 3-5 years, Tesla plans to offer what the model 3 is now for about 25k usd in five years.

Just take a step back and see how far it’s come in just 10 years. Extrapolate that fall in price and rise in sophistication out just another 10 years forward and there’s your cheap EV.

Haakon

When EVs take over, and ICE is relegated to weekend toys, shit like this will be the real deal.

This was the first car I ever steered on a public road - age maybe 7 sitting on the lap of my Dads best friend who’s XK120 had a warm E Type engine in it and was scary fast.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Your opinion is valid, but not shared ;)
I'll concede it looks pretty if you're into that sort of thing, but this is 2020 and I'm into engine bays that look like they're from this century.

It's also a waste of space where batteries could be added for more range and to better balance the poor weight distribution most big ole V8's have.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Takes all kinds to make the world go round...
True, I've never owned a V8, and I loved when the Sierra's and M3's were beating them on the track in the 80's. This was also cool:

I've bought the motor and controller from their Delorean for my E30 BMW, just can't afford to do the rest yet. They are putting a Tesla unit in the Delorean.

mark22

Likes Dirt
This article seems a fair and real world test Link
I can see an opportunity for rural towns to benifit from charging stations if they locate them in the right spot in town.

Last edited:

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
This article seems a fair and real world test Link
I can see an opportunity for rural towns to benifits from charging stations if they locate them in the right spot in town.
Absolutely our town has excess solar during the day which could go to car charging especially near the shops.