Electric Vehicles etc

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Okay

I'm sorry

I will refrain from posting stuff .

that i know will not cause an exchange of ideas .........as the ideas seem

Angry today
It is indeed an exchange of ideas. Its just that super annoying and demonstrably dumb ones as espoused by Cadogen have been aired and dismissed repeatedly. His bogan dog whistling schtick is well known and routinely disregarded as the distraction at best that it is.

Dont let that discourage you - if you know something I dont that supports the views he espouses Im all ears. Ive been wrong before.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Okay

I'm sorry

I will refrain from posting stuff .

that i know will not cause an exchange of ideas .........as the ideas seem

Angry today
3 minutes in, not a fucking fact yet. I'll persist, because you seem like a nice reasonable guy with a genuine interest and I'm keen to see what you actually see in his arguments, every one of which I've forced myself to watch in the past to call out his bullshit has been, well, bullshit.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
This is simply a convenience solution, little more.

Is this all we want from EVs, more convenience?
Actually saw an interesting argument on Youtube channel Hoovie's Garage (worth a watch if you like seeing a grown man spend lots and lots of perfectly useful money on complete basket cases). Mr Hoovie comes to the conclusion that with the increasing complexity and disposability of ICE vehicles EVs will ultimately win out because they're so much simpler mechanically and easier to work on (second point backed up by a mechanic in said video).

Haven't seen that argument anywhere else so I'm not sure how accurate it is, but still it's an interesting point if true.
Nope, that guy is a stupid cockhead, not an opinion, i could support it with facts but I can't bear to watch his clickbait rubbish. Just the first 30 seconds made me want to vomit. Smug fuckwit is the Trump of the automotive world, how anyone could bear 15 minutes of that is beyond me.
I used to enjoy some of his written articles back in the day but yeah he's gone for the ultra opinionated dickhead route now. Yet to actually finish one of his videos.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Mr Hoovie comes to the conclusion that with the increasing complexity and disposability of ICE vehicles EVs will ultimately win out because they're so much simpler mechanically and easier to work on (second point backed up by a mechanic in said video).

I used to enjoy some of his written articles back in the day but yeah he's gone for the ultra opinionated dickhead route now. Yet to actually finish one of his videos.
As painful as it was, I managed to watch that one.

He didn't actually say anything of value except that some people like Teslas a little too much (cue fans of any particular company) and the oil industry is big and powerful therefore ICE will be around for decades.

ICE is a legacy technology, no matter how he spins it, he didn't make a single argument in favour of it other as a technology, just that the third world can't afford EV's because oil is cheap and easy for now.

15 minutes of sarcastic drivel for that, hardly an exchange of ideas.

Haakon

I gave up when he said Hyundais / Kias were good now which doesn't support my confirmation bias.

(still ignoring the repressed memory of driving a Cerato recently and not finding a single thing to complain about)
Annoyingly i agree with him on hyundai/kia products, they are actually good things so far as reliable transport related consumer products go...

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@Haakon @Scotty T

Yes .
I am extremely interested in this space - and certainly involved .

No .
I do not have to like the man - ( and i agree with your sentiments ) that he is playing to the lowest common denominator
However , the argument which is raised ( in an obtuse fashion by Cadogan ) and more directly by Hoovie via @Asininedrivel is that EV Tech will be out of reach for most of the population
- I'm not going down the 'big oil' argument as that is silly .

But , i would buy an electric car if there was more infrastructure avail and the price was more reasonable in terms of what your dollar buys .
Interestingly Chevron is investing in fuel stations as ev charge points .

so , back to EV - the tech is simple from a manufacturing perspective .
but consumers want all the additional 'stuff' whether it be a radio or sat nav o r a wifi hotspot - this means the demands are more extreme on the battery and especially the packaging of the vehicle - from an engineering perspective
- watching engineers ( engi-nerds ) figure this out is intriguing .
Then customers also want to have it all - cheap / reasonably priced - efficient / powerful - range , just enough .

The big interest in this space is more for small 'city cars ' on a reasonable - as in cheap monthly payment / lease - hand back and get another one in 2-3 yrs .
The tech is moving extremely fast and traditional car buyers / retailers are not understanding how this works - esp in Aus .

agree or disagree , but we are a big country reliant on road transport - we need more last mile / public transport solutions .

Im not sure the government ( any colour or discipline ) has the political balls to start this process - as it will be out the the election cycle - i am hoping this may change .

GM has gone to CES in the states with some big plans - other manufacturers are forming collectives with tech companies in the back ground - it will be an interesting 4 years to 2025 .

After 2030 ?

i dunno , lets see how the next couple pan out
Big Challenges will include the environmental impact of the manufacturing and also end of life for ICE vehicles .
Smaller / less agile economies may struggle with the uptake in EV tech / Infrastructure
Our chinese cousins have really gone leaps n bounds with this side of the business - and will continue to exert influence on smaller nations - in the form of loans whether cash injections , Technology / Infrastructure etc .

Haakon

Price parity will be here before you know it. Just a couple of random articles from a quick google...

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Im not sure the government ( any colour or discipline ) has the political balls to start this process - as it will be out the the election cycle - i am hoping this may change .
This is a big problem. A tail pipe emissions tax could bring more parity to the cost of EV vs ICE but nobody will go there.

The price will come down significantly though, 5 years ago I pulled the ICE out of my old vehicle and was pricing up the EV conversion. Recently I got a rough quote for a battery pack with the latest cells (still lithium) and now you can get 35Kw for the same as 20Kw used to cost, 75% more capacity in 5 years for the same price. ICE has nowhere to go technologically, how can it not be called legacy?

I still don't have the budget to complete the conversion, and when the math is done that money is much better spent on my home making energy efficiency gains for climate change impact because I already ride my e-bike and normal bike to work or work from home.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hmm, don't start me on Australian building practices ....

The 2 billion dollars on the homestart program has increased our climate emergency ... due to short sighted ness - we have an extreme environment here - yet persist in building houses with minimal efficiency ...

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Hmm, don't start me on Australian building practices ....

The 2 billion dollars on the homestart program has increased our climate emergency ... due to short sighted ness - we have an extreme environment here - yet persist in building houses with minimal efficiency ...
The really infuriating thing is 100 years ago when we didn't even know to spell environment we were building more climate appropriate dwellings than we are now. Take a look at any ye olde rural house - fuckers are cocooned by enormous verandahs and have outer walls as thick as a modern house's stairwell. But now? Nah gimmie a McMansion with a side order of huge garage and go easy on the overhangs and garden thanks.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
And don't forget the extra helping of air conditioning reliance
I had the chance to attend a webinar on housing efficiency through work and was really surprised to find that the biggest bang for buck item was sealing/controlling the building envelope for our climate in Canberra.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yes , my ye olde house was built in about 1930 ...its weatherboard , tin roof , verandaed . We have insulated the walls and ceiling , but its is a very comfortable house in both Summer and Winter .
We had solar on a house in Sydney - was great - I am still considering ( our power usage is low )
If i was to invest in upgrading something - Doubled glazed windows and better draught exclusions - although one of the dogs had a titanic fight with a 'door snake ' ....

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
yes , my ye olde house was built in about 1930 ...its weatherboard , tin roof , verandaed . We have insulated the walls and ceiling , but its is a very comfortable house in both Summer and Winter .
We had solar on a house in Sydney - was great - I am still considering ( our power usage is low )
If i was to invest in upgrading something - Doubled glazed windows and better draught exclusions - although one of the dogs had a titanic fight with a 'door snake ' ....
Goes without saying that fight was the door snake's fault..

Yeah pre-war and interwar housing here is the shit imo. I lived in a 1920s bungalow thing for a while on a (very) busy main road, including trucks that loooved using their exhaust brakes. Barely heard any traffic at all from inside.

Parents just chucked double glazing on all the windows in the back area of their place, they're pretty stoked with it.