Electric Vehicles etc

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just booked another test drive to try the RWD version before ordering. got offered a decent trade in price too. never going to match private sale but not bad. bit annoyed i asked about getting roof rack/bike holder on it and you have to order it as a service item after you buy it. you'd have the cart in your yard, couldn't you just put the racks on then? maybe they're so used to fit and warranty issues they know it'll be back there shortly anyway

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thgouht we'd done the sums and decided rwd was better value, wife came home and said maybe we should splash out a bit on the LR. now im questioning it, it is a lot more but that little extra range and power sounds like fun

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
thgouht we'd done the sums and decided rwd was better value, wife came home and said maybe we should splash out a bit on the LR. now im questioning it, it is a lot more but that little extra range and power sounds like fun
Power is always good, but the real question is will you actually use/need the range?

And is the LR the same CATL battery from the Shangai factory or is a Panasonic/Fremont job?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
We're doing an extensive renovation this year, and in discussions with the electrician I brought up the idea of three-phase to the garage because I read somewhere that was best for an EV. Something like half the time to charge, or even quicker from memory.

He felt it wasn't necessary, and suggested 32 or 38 amp wiring would be enough (this is me not remembering the number, it was something like that). And probably a fair point that you'd be less likely to need a fast-charge situation at home than on the road.

I've also read that some EVs, like the Ioniq and the Taycan have 800v on board (again I might be inventing numbers here) which means faster charging - but I don't know if that requires a high-voltage charger to make the best of it.

The garage is a separate structure to the house, and about as far from the mains attachment point as it's possible to be on our property, so perhaps he was against three-phase from a cost point of view.

What do the EV-nerds and electricians on here think about all this?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
We're doing an extensive renovation this year, and in discussions with the electrician I brought up the idea of three-phase to the garage because I read somewhere that was best for an EV. Something like half the time to charge, or even quicker from memory.

He felt it wasn't necessary, and suggested 32 or 38 amp wiring would be enough (this is me not remembering the number, it was something like that). And probably a fair point that you'd be less likely to need a fast-charge situation at home than on the road.

I've also read that some EVs, like the Ioniq and the Taycan have 800v on board (again I might be inventing numbers here) which means faster charging - but I don't know if that requires a high-voltage charger to make the best of it.

The garage is a separate structure to the house, and about as far from the mains attachment point as it's possible to be on our property, so perhaps he was against three-phase from a cost point of view.

What do the EV-nerds and electricians on here think about all this?
Do you have roof top solar?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Scotty T

Walks the walk
No, not planning on it.
I think why? We did all that first before considering the living space, future ready with removal of gas, induction cooking, solar, heat pump water and soon to come battery. Our solar will have paid for itself in a few years, and it's way more impactful for climate than an EV, I was considering doing the EV conversion or getting solar and it was a pretty big difference in co2 savings.

Correct on the 3 phase, there are EV chargers that run on 32 amp single phase so not any real benefit to the 3 phase and a cost you don't need.

I am not seeing much benefit to adding a charger, we drive 30km a day which is ~3 hours on the wall socket. It's super rare that you will travel 400km to your home and be on a very low range, then need to travel again more than 30km within a few hours. If you were in that situation you'd detour via a superhcarger. Overnight you will put > 100km range on from a stock wall socket which meets the majority of people's daily needs.

I think a portable charger is a better investment, buy this, add a 32 amp single phase at home and have stacks of options for travelling so if you rock up to a caravan park or showground with 3 phase you can get the maximum charge rate out of it.

What I want is DC to DC charging from a home pack to a car pack, so if the situation did arise where I needed range here now at home, I could dump x kWh into the car quickly.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
No, not planning on it.
Probably not worth it. Quick charging is more important when going cross country then pottering around at home.

If you had solar then definitely not worth it. Always better to use the energy at home than export to the grid.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I think why? We did all that first before considering the living space, future ready with removal of gas, induction cooking, solar, heat pump water and soon to come battery. Our solar will have paid for itself in a few years, and it's way more impactful for climate than an EV, I was considering doing the EV conversion or getting solar and it was a pretty big difference in co2 savings.
Thanks Scotty, appreciate your thoughts.

No solar is a directive from Mrs Tubbsy, whose work relates to emissions/environmental stuff. Her opinion is that individual solar installations are not the most environmentally friendly option in Canberra's current situation where we have a lot of renewables through the grid, and currently limited capacity for individuals to feed much of their unused capacity back into the grid.

You can bash heads with her at the housewarming haha, she's not for turning.

Also, it's a flat roof house in a kind of modernist style, so they'd need to be installed at a relatively shallow angle so as to be unseen from the garden.

In terms of the EV, not rushing out to save the environment by buying a brand new car, just trying to be reasonably future-proof with decisions now while the house is being gutted. Car decisions will be a fair way down the track.

Correct on the 3 phase, there are EV chargers that run on 32 amp single phase so not any real benefit to the 3 phase and a cost you don't need.

I am not seeing much benefit to adding a charger, we drive 30km a day which is ~3 hours on the wall socket. It's super rare that you will travel 400km to your home and be on a very low range, then need to travel again more than 30km within a few hours. If you were in that situation you'd detour via a superhcarger. Overnight you will put > 100km range on from a stock wall socket which meets the majority of people's daily needs.
Agree on your use case scenarios.

Just to clarify here, you can charge an EV from a regular wall socket, or a 32amp socket (is that a thing?), or a charger box that you install? The impression I got was EV people all get the charging boxes installed - so a charger is not important?

I think a portable charger is a better investment, buy this, add a 32 amp single phase at home and have stacks of options for travelling so if you rock up to a caravan park or showground with 3 phase you can get the maximum charge rate out of it.

What I want is DC to DC charging from a home pack to a car pack, so if the situation did arise where I needed range here now at home, I could dump x kWh into the car quickly.
Here's a good article on home charging from the EV charger peeps:

OK, looks like some reading to do.

Last edited: