Electric Vehicles etc

climberman

Likes Dirt

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Bit like the range on an ICE with 5 tonnes strapped to the back.
Come on you are smart enough to figure it out. Specific is about a factor of 10 for diesel vs tesla cells, even with the advanced Panasonic 18650s that are meant to be 300+Wh/kg you are still looking at a huge gap in energy density.

I ran these numbers a few years ago with an Academic from Deakin (they got something like $5m a few years ago to do commercial EV). We were both of the opinion that EV would be better suited in the current form for light medium commercial applications. Something like 5 tonnes will exacerbate the weight penalty with EVs.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I wonder if the low-rpm "instant" torque of the electric motors would help "economy" versus an ICE.

If the motor is putting out peak torque from take-off does that possibly make it more efficient for towing by possibly negating some of the high-energy consumption traditionally associated with towing with an ICE.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Come on you are smart enough to figure it out. Specific is about a factor of 10 for diesel vs tesla cells, even with the advanced Panasonic 18650s that are meant to be 300+Wh/kg you are still looking at a huge gap in energy density.

I ran these numbers a few years ago with an Academic from Deakin (they got something like $5m a few years ago to do commercial EV). We were both of the opinion that EV would be better suited in the current form for light medium commercial applications. Something like 5 tonnes will exacerbate the weight penalty with EVs.
Huh? I thought we talking about towing?

https://www.carsguide.com.au/adventure/tesla-model-x-74243

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Most people who aren't grey nomads tow large things 2-4 times a year. They don't need an electric vehicle with heavy towing capability, they need a diesel rental 4 times a year. Or take their time and recharge on the way (pending of course infrastructure I keep banging on about). Big picture, such a first world problem.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Personally I am holding out for an electric Kombi. Price will likely be hideous and I will decide to keep the current car and keep riding to work as often as possible..... Then buy a turbo 4. Then buy a little EV as the run around.

Regarding charging infrastructure that will pop up as needed. Most people have their personal car sit still the absolute majority of the day. Trickle charger works for that. I could very easily own a 200km range EV for 99% or journeys. Parking metres of old could offer trickle charger pretty economically from an infrastructure POV.

FWIW my work has a miev (rooted battery 70km range) and a new EV Kona. The Kona is a weapon and seems to do 10kwh/100km when being driven normally with a bit of booting it off the lights etc. Only thing is for such an expensive car the interior is a bit cheap. My 7 year old i40 has a much nicer interior. The Kona would feel that bit more worth it with a couple of very minimal tweaks.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
According to Tesla Australia, the Powerwall 2 will cost between $9,970 and $11,620. This cost includes $8,000 for the unit, $720 for supporting hardware, and between $1,150 and $2,900 for installation, depending on the location and installer.
Cheap for a 13.5kWh home system,

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Double capacity is good, but charged from AC means a double conversion inefficiency (eg. solar is DC --> AC --> DC for the powerwall).