Electric Vehicles etc

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
What's peoples thoughts on this Ted Talk?

I did see a Tick Tock that was being shared about that just included the part about electric only creating more Co2 and cutting out all the unnecessary talk of renewable mumbo jumbo as evidence that electric cars are worse. :rolleyes:

link1896

Mr Greenfield

I did see a Tick Tock that was being shared about that just included the part about electric only creating more Co2 and cutting out all the unnecessary talk of renewable mumbo jumbo as evidence that electric cars are worse. :rolleyes:
It’s a myth. This was taken from the USA’s epa page.

Internal combustion > electric car > pedal assisted bicycle, the ev car to pedal assist bike energy comparison above is significant.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
It’s a myth. This was taken from the USA’s epa page.

Internal combustion > electric car > pedal assisted bicycle, the ev car to pedal assist bike energy comparison above is significant.

I kind of thought so as his talk also didn't seem to take into consideration the Co2 emissions from the production and transportation of fuel.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin

Similar to climate change deniers = sow seeds of doubt in people who cant think.
Analyses have been done, so move on.

Freediver

I can go full Karen

A quick google took me to the Southwest Research Institute where this guy works. I can't tell you how surprised I was to find out it was founded with oil money.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
A quick google took me to the Southwest Research Institute where this guy works. I can't tell you how surprised I was to find out it was founded with oil money.
I tried to watch a bit of that, and didnt get far... Super annoying. Like so many of such things, they start with "everyone says its like this" and then proceeds to debunk them - and not acknowledging that thats not what everyone says...

No one says EVs are zero emissions over their life cycle and no one says they're zero emission when driven on grid power. They are an improvement and more importantly can be further improved whereas ICE is already as good as it gets.

goobags

Likes Dirt
Doesn’t quite work like that. Look up curtailment.
10% over a year not just during peak periods. Curtailment isn’t the issue here, if it was people would be freaked out about running clothes dryer and air conditioning. 6kW AC (electrical) plus 2.4kW oven plus 0.35kW idle plus whatever else it’s fairly easy to hit 10+kW draw from the grid and that usually happens in the evenings during peak period.

Charging overnight at 7.8kW doesn’t touch on peak draw. I can drop that down to 1.4kW and still be in front from a normal days driving.

My point was that over a 12 month period, Australia would have to produce at least 10% more electricity than it currently does if all passenger vehicles were BEV.

No one freaked out about everyone having a clothes dryer and air conditioning. Neither of which tend to be run in the wee hours when your car is charging on off peak rates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goobags

Likes Dirt
Silly thing is charging stations are not universal, you would want to stick with a compatible car for the charger you get installed if you were to change vehicles.
Crazy situation really.
They are universal, the only differences are the plug type. Most EVs in Aus are Type 2. Type 1 exists but you can get an adapter cable.

Tesla Supercharger network is opening up to other makes overseas at the moment, would expect it to happen here at some stage but don’t hold your breath.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
10% over a year not just during peak periods. Curtailment isn’t the issue here, if it was people would be freaked out about running clothes dryer and air conditioning. 6kW AC (electrical) plus 2.4kW oven plus 0.35kW idle plus whatever else it’s fairly easy to hit 10+kW draw from the grid and that usually happens in the evenings during peak period.

Charging overnight at 7.8kW doesn’t touch on peak draw. I can drop that down to 1.4kW and still be in front from a normal days driving.

My point was that over a 12 month period, Australia would have to produce at least 10% more electricity than it currently does if all passenger vehicles were BEV.

you missed my point on curtailment ;)

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
They sure do, in their relative infancy, but even now I would never go back to ICE.
Definitely in their current tech cycle, they 100% cover all bases for a lot of people (especially a fair percentage of city-slickers). But then an ebike and public transport covers a lot of the same people.

A smaller % of country people could get by with EVs as they are now. I can't unfortunately, though my next car will definitely be a hybrid.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Definitely in their current tech cycle, they 100% cover all bases for a lot of people (especially a fair percentage of city-slickers). But then an ebike and public transport covers a lot of the same people.

A smaller % of country people could get by with EVs as they are now. I can't unfortunately, though my next car will definitely be a hybrid.
Hard to believe there isn't a LandCruiser EV equivalent around yet. I'm an aforementioned city slicker and although the Tesla probably does the most km traveling around the SW of WA. I can definitely see plenty of country people wanting a vehicle that suits their needs better than what is currently on offer. Having said that in percentage terms (especially excluding people who live in regional centres) that's a relatively small proportion of the country's population.