Electric Vehicles etc

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I had heard though that Canberra’s light rail patronage numbers are above those modelled - apparently it’s caught on quickly.

Next problem is the capital authority being dicks about the route for the line to Woden... They’re worried about aesthetics. In Canberra! Lol...

Hyperloop isn’t cars, it’s basically ultra high speed rail. The tunnel thing for cars is another pet project again.
Yeah the car tunnel thing was what I meant. Electric cars are a step but after considering that article I am not so sure about subsidising them, at least not the the max level which is where I was before. I'd much rather see the culture shift that can only happen with infrastructure, and making high carbon transport more expensive can help drive it.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Yeah the car tunnel thing was what I meant. Electric cars are a step but after considering that article I am not so sure about subsidising them, at least not the the max level which is where I was before. I'd much rather see the culture shift that can only happen with infrastructure, and making high carbon transport more expensive can help drive it.
I agree with this in theory, but something tells me it'll be price increases first - additional infrastructure later (maybe). So the poor will still be the ones that cop it.

My gut feeling will be that climate politics (not climate science - climate politics) and the cost of tech "buy in" will drive an increase in class divide (ie: wealthy/poor) in the not too distant future. I reckon if you can afford the price of admission to electric vehicles/house batteries/"renewable" energy sources/disconnecting from the grid/etc... you'll be rewarded (subsidised) for your efforts - Whereas people who can't afford the transition will likely bear the brunt of extra taxes and fees for being "polluters".

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I agree with this in theory, but something tells me it'll be price increases first - additional infrastructure later (maybe). So the poor will still be the ones that cop it.

My gut feeling will be that climate politics (not climate science - climate politics) and the cost of tech "buy in" will drive an increase in class divide (ie: wealthy/poor) in the not too distant future. I reckon if you can afford the price of admission to electric vehicles/house batteries/"renewable" energy sources/disconnecting from the grid/etc... you'll be rewarded (subsidised) for your efforts - Whereas people who can't afford the transition will likely bear the brunt of extra taxes and fees for being "polluters".
Yep it's a huge problem that you've described really well. But it was partially addressed in the carbon tax days by subsidising low income earners for energy costs.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
The NCA is going to the biggest hurdle for the LR to proceed through the parliamentary triangle, another bunch of bureaucrats so far detached from reality its not even funny!

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
And round & round we go - this is still the finest solution out there:

Carbon Fee & Dividend

Rich people generally spew the most CO2 because big houses & 25 hour flights & give no shits. Therefore they will bear the biggest burden.

The dividend will help the poor do an even better CO2 low footprint than they do today.
Good idea.

But while you’re feeling superior about not going on 25 hour flights, think about your net impact as well. What’s your career done to improve the planet?

Work in coal mining? Finance for a company that funds rainforest clearing? Or spend your entire career in roles focused on improving things?

Buying an EV, some solar panels and buying local is kinda offset if your working life is a problem.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Good idea. Also put in something about your net impact as well. What’s your career done to improve the planet?

Work in coal mining? Finance for a company that funds rainforest clearing? Or spend your entire career in roles focused on improving things?

Buying an EV, some solar panels and buying local is kinda offset if your working life is a problem.
people in glass houses!

Haakon

Back on topic, this guy is a hack. Made me cry watching the way he treated this drive unit :(

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Back on topic, this guy is a hack. Made me cry watching the way he treated this drive unit :(

this guy is a certified fucking idiot!....."Whoa whats the blue stuff, whoa its also got red stuff in it"...
and still didn't even get to see inside the motor!..but good luck pulling the rotor out of an EC motor that size!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Never but I am over all the hype about this from the Muskovites. The cars never completed a lap only bridge to gantry times because both broke down before a slot was arranged. Etc. Etc. The mods are not slated for production. Like the Quadriflogiothingy when it was on the ring...

Still wondering if Tesla is really the pinacle of battery tech. I dont know but is it in advance of formula E and F1?

Haakon

Never but I am over all the hype about this from the Muskovites. The cars never completed a lap only bridge to gantry times because both broke down before a slot was arranged. Etc. Etc. The mods are not slated for prosuction. Like the Quadriflogiothingy when it was on the ring...
I haven’t really been following it, but it’s a test mule being pushed hard, so I suspect they’re deliberately testing it to fail.

And even if it doesn’t end up in this version of the S, it’s a new 3 motor drivetrain they’re testing that is intended for production.