Electric Vehicles etc

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I’m know exactly what you are saying. But my message isn’t coming across. Discussing EVs without considering the big picture just lends credence to them being a solution.

Leave it at that.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Force and support people to give up high impact personal transport en-masse? Good solution, struggling with implementation. Cars will still exist. These ones and the future ones from Tesla may or may not be them.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Force and support people to give up high impact personal transport en-masse? Good solution, struggling with implementation. Cars will still exist. These ones and the future ones from Tesla may or may not be them.
I don't think forcing is necessary. Give people the right public transport and incentives and they will avoid cars on their own. See London, New York and loads of European cities.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Give people the right public transport and incentives and they will avoid cars on their own. See London, New York and loads of European cities.
That's part of the problem. Most Aussies love the urban sprawl and driving place to place. If you asked people if they wanted Melbourne/Sydney to be like London/New York, most would scoff at the idea. A better city to propose would like Oslo or Paris. High rise sucks and it sucks really badly that we went that way.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
That's part of the problem. Most Aussies love the urban sprawl and driving place to place. If you asked people if they wanted Melbourne/Sydney to be like London/New York, most would scoff at the idea. A better city to propose would like Oslo or Paris. High rise sucks and it sucks really badly that we went that way.
Yeah, but if you want to keep breeding at these rates you’ll have to deal with it..

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
We sure as hell don't love urban anything, but that's also our downfall. The bus line towards our house terminates 3km before it gets to us. And it won't get me to work by 7am anyway. Until teleportation is mainstream, some sort of personal transport will be required.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
My two hundred house strong community is 22km from decent PT (a train) and walking distance of an irregular ferry service.

There's a strong sense of neighbourhood here - many of us reach out for car pool options when necessary, or even have simple errands run by others already committed to the journey.

We could absolutely do a better job but what we do without any incentives or forcing is promising.

There are a lot of COWG (crazy old white guy) baby boomers here but also quite a few people who get it.

The best weekend for wifey & I? The one where the car sits stationary for two days.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
There's a strong sense of neighbourhood here - many of us reach out for car pool options when necessary, or even have simple errands run by others already committed to the journey.
To paraphrase you, your car pools are based on opportunity, nothing more than that.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Yeah, but if you want to keep breeding at these rates you’ll have to deal with it..
That's also the other half of the problem. Aussies aren't exactly the ones breeding. Statistically we are below replacement levels, it's immigration.

I don't care what people say, living in a box in the sky sucks. It's not the solution environmentalists would have you believe. When I lived in an apartment, all I dreamed about was getting out of the big smoke and I probably drove double the kms I do these days because every weekend was a decent country trip.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
That is a big cow.

Distances and infrastructure are an issue if you dont live in a city.
Not always though... My olds live 10kms up a busk track and 30kms from town. And 80kms from the bigger town. They'd be fine with an EV, they never do more than a few hundred kms in a day. Even in the country not everyone needs massive range.