Electric Vehicles etc

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Not always though... My olds live 10kms up a busk track and 30kms from town. And 80kms from the bigger town. They'd be fine with an EV, they never do more than a few hundred kms in a day. Even in the country not everyone needs massive range.
75 % of Australia lives in a city or major town. We've long been one of the world's most urbanised nations.
And?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I'm a shift worker, 4 x 12's then 5 days off. Usually my vehicle wont move for the whole 5 days unless I have a Bunnings run. Even heading to work I usually (been slack lately as we have been super busy) commute once a week on my bike.

The majority of my KM's are done travelling to bike races, heading away on small breaks and holidays, all towing a 2.5t caravan, so probably 3t loaded all up. Not sure how towing is going to work with GVM of EV's, especially with a battery capable of pulling ~3t any distance.

The current Model X and Model S are only ~200kg short of a full sized landcruiser.

My missus on the other hand, would do well in a Model 3, short runs here and there... if she would just remember to charge it better than she does with her phone.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I'm a shift worker, 4 x 12's then 5 days off. Usually my vehicle wont move for the whole 5 days unless I have a Bunnings run. Even heading to work I usually (been slack lately as we have been super busy) commute once a week on my bike.

The majority of my KM's are done travelling to bike races, heading away on small breaks and holidays, all towing a 2.5t caravan, so probably 3t loaded all up. Not sure how towing is going to work with GVM of EV's, especially with a battery capable of pulling ~3t any distance.

The current Model X and Model S are only ~200kg short of a full sized landcruiser.

My missus on the other hand, would do well in a Model 3, short runs here and there... if she would just remember to charge it better than she does with her phone.
Yep. Keep a big ICE tow rig for its purpose (which is a good use of one as opposed to soccer mum school runs...) and decent EV for everyday use. Win.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Registration levels could be good, incentivise restricting big ICE vehicles to the long range towing duties with cheap conditional rego and insurance and make keeping a second EV for everyday local use more economic.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
umm. Distances and infrastructure are not necessarily an issue if you dont live in a city?
What a load of shit you spruik. No infrastructure means how do you get to PT without driving or car pooling? I am 22km radius from the Bris CBD. Nearest PT to the city is a train 6km away. Bus service runs twice in the morning and twice at night. Nearest stop is 3km away.

Move further out and the worse it gets. If there is no PT you have to use other means to get to PT.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
What a load of shit you spruik. No infrastructure means how do you get to PT without driving or car pooling? I am 22km radius from the Bris CBD. Nearest PT to the city is a train 6km away. Bus service runs twice in the morning and twice at night. Nearest stop is 3km away.

Move further out and the worse it gets. If there is no PT you have to use other means to get to PT.
Sorry, I’m being abused why? What did I miss? You said infrastructure was an impediment to EV use in the country, I’m just saying there are still some folks it would still work for. Why did that earn me another nasty remark from you?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Sorry, I’m being abused why? What did I miss? You said infrastructure was an impediment to EV use in the country, I’m just saying there are still some folks it would still work for. Why did that earn me another nasty remark from you?
Because you didn’t talk about trains

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
It's had three battery packs (original & two replacements) & four drive units though - lots of CO2 there. Some ICE cars would do that mileage with less replacement parts. And Germany is fairly dirty electrical production.

I guess this guy proves that a Tesla chassis can go that far? The million km battery has yet to be proven.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
It's had three battery packs (original & two replacements) & four drive units though - lots of CO2 there. Some ICE cars would do that mileage with less replacement parts. And Germany is fairly dirty electrical production.

I guess this guy proves that a Tesla chassis can go that far? The million km battery has yet to be proven.
That’s just early production teething problems, absolutely nothing to do with the technology.
His latest pack has 310,000 miles (whatever that is in kms) and “very little” degradation. That’s better than most ICE. As is the 650,000 on the latest drive unit.

So as Scotty says, ICE is dead.

I know you’d prefer them on public transport, so would I. But if it’s this or a 5 series diesel, this is much much better - even with replacement of faulty packs (and they were faulty, not worn out).

Scotty T

Walks the walk
https://www.wired.com/review/review-onewheel-xr/

"But I’ve been snowboarding, surfing, and skateboarding since I was thirteen, and the Onewheel+ XR is the first board that I’ve ever been on that, well, makes me a little scared. I took a spill off the Onewheel+ XR and sprained my knee. A snowboarder friend of mine sprained his ankle. Another friend, who also skateboards and snowboards, face-planted.

Which isn’t to say that the Onewheel+ XR isn’t enormously fun. It’s just more of an extreme sports toy than it is a commuter vehicle."

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Which isn’t to say that the Onewheel+ XR isn’t enormously fun. It’s just more of an extreme sports toy than it is a commuter vehicle."
No denying that you could get pretty well banged up coming off it, but, that can happen with anything that has a wheel under you.
Must be a load of fun.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
No denying that you could get pretty well banged up coming off it, but, that can happen with anything that has a wheel under you.
Must be a load of fun.
Yeah the stopping function sounds like the main hurdle to get right. I guess doing a jump off bail, the board would stop rather than keep rolling into person/gutter/under car.