Electric Vehicles etc

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Tesla chargers run about 2k installed, most others are around that it seems.

Model 3 just keeps killing sports cars.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Do you own one mate? Any idea on the electricity cost per charge? What load do they pull while charging? I could google these questions, but I already know the shit is neck-deep, and sifting through it is too much like work.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere

Model 3 just keeps killing sports cars.

Shame it's frigging hideous... The new lotus however.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
@FigBoot I don't own one, yet. Model 3 has a 75Kwh battery. Here's a decent article:

The home charger is 7kw so about 10 hours to charge, about double that off a 15 amp powerpoint, but someone with more electrical knowledge can give a better answer, I'm guesstimating.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Hoping the stars align and I can pick up a used AC power plant for my E30 that has 160kw and 612nm. Should go good in an 1100kg car.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Is that dual motor or single motor @Scotty T ? It's a lot more power than I've seen from singles... And yeah, it sounds fun.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
@beeb it's an axial flux single motor and a 450 amp controller. Radial flux are cheaper and lower power density so they are more common in EV's.

Scotty T

Walks the walk

My wild predictions about petrol BMW's being worthless in five years starting to eventuate?

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Now we're getting somewhere

Volkswagen eBulli
Looks interesting, although don’t imagine it would have modern safety to match the modern driveline.

I reckon there will be a lot of interest in classic car conversions. After all, it’s often the fuel efficiency (lack of) and noise and smells that out people off old cars.

Imagine being able to pull out the fuel tank and replace with a battery pack and then replace the old noisy smelly motor with an electric one. Bring an old car back to life in a few days.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Looks interesting, although don’t imagine it would have modern safety to match the modern driveline.
That was my first impression. No seat belts and low backed seats? Looks great, but you can't sell it. It will be interesting to see how they approach the safety (steering, suspension, etc) side of it.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That was my first impression. No seat belts and low backed seats? Looks great, but you can't sell it. It will be interesting to see how they approach the safety side of it.
Yeah, it can’t be a new car. Will have to be a reengineered original - except if it’s allowed somewhere in the really fine print (or overseas). From what little I know you could probably not build an ‘individually constructed vehicle’ without some of the current safety stuff, but build enough of gem and you’ll have to meet the current ADRs

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Yeah, it can’t be a new car. Will have to be a reengineered original - except if it’s allowed somewhere in the really fine print (or overseas). From what little I know you could probably not build an ‘individually constructed vehicle’ without some of the current safety stuff, but build enough of gem and you’ll have to meet the current ADRs
It's re-engineered...and it's not VW doing it though they support the enterprise. Thing is...even a really wrecked T1 with a compliance plate would cost you north of 50 grand here...and it still has to be repaired.

VW already have plans for a modern version based on its new MEB platform. And there's plenty of prototype pics out there of it. But how it really looks when it does land somewhere out past 2023 is still anyone's guesd