Electric Vehicles etc

Haakon

Keeps on digging

mark22

Likes Dirt
It seems owners in the USA are far from impressed with their Tesla X's
Link I wish we had these owner surveys like JD Power etc as they do in the states instead of the crappy new car reveiws we get with no follow up for reliability or customer satisfaction.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
It seems owners in the USA are far from impressed with their Tesla X's
Link I wish we had these owner surveys like JD Power etc as they do in the states instead of the crappy new car reveiws we get with no follow up for reliability or customer satisfaction.
Those surveys are pretty useless for the most part. I’m not doing a Tesla fanboy defence here, just that number of faults doesn’t tend to differentiate between things like a massive power train failure or a wonky interior trim.

For the stuff that really counts, Tesla seem to be pretty good - but paint and trim fit issues still seem to be a problem. I wonder what the QC on the Shanghai built ones is like? And I think we assume the ones to be built in Berlin will be much much better!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Consumer Report methodology FAQ here, @Haakon :

The way you make statements like this "...Those surveys are pretty useless for the most part. I’m not doing a Tesla fanboy defence here, just that number of faults doesn’t tend to differentiate between things like a massive power train failure or a wonky interior trim...." demonstrates the bias(es) you hold dear in daily life.

Deny it all you want, but you are one rather biased individual.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Consumer Report methodology FAQ here, @Haakon :

The way you make statements like this "...Those surveys are pretty useless for the most part. I’m not doing a Tesla fanboy defence here, just that number of faults doesn’t tend to differentiate between things like a massive power train failure or a wonky interior trim...." demonstrates the bias(es) you hold dear in daily life.

Deny it all you want, but you are one rather biased individual.
Consumer reports is a little more nuanced than jd power as I understand it.

Everyone has biases. I was just noting that the stuff Tesla screws up tends to be the relatively minor annoying stuff - but the core tech is pretty good (not perfect). They just need to screw them together better, although they are improving pretty quickly.

The model X in particular wouldn’t have had the tricky rear doors if they could do it again.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Those surveys are pretty useless for the most part. I’m not doing a Tesla fanboy defence here, just that number of faults doesn’t tend to differentiate between things like a massive power train failure or a wonky interior trim.

For the stuff that really counts, Tesla seem to be pretty good - but paint and trim fit issues still seem to be a problem. I wonder what the QC on the Shanghai built ones is like? And I think we assume the ones to be built in Berlin will be much much better!
R2

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Again, don’t know if posted earlier,

When they say but coal fired power refuels electric vehicles so they aren’t clean, I’m pretty sure they don’t include the coal fired power it takes to refine petroleum products. Never occurred to me it would use so much power.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Shhh! Don't mention electricity, the thing we are 100% self reliant.

I've considered this for ages, if you forgo all the other advantages of electric transport like the environmental advantages of electric cars, the lower costs of ownership and all the other toted benefits of going electric you still can't deny that electric transport cannot be held to ransom from foreign entities like petroleum based fuels. As long as we don't sell off our electricity grids :rolleyes:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Again, don’t know if posted earlier,

When they say but coal fired power refuels electric vehicles so they aren’t clean, I’m pretty sure they don’t include the coal fired power it takes to refine petroleum products. Never occurred to me it would use so much power.
Well to wheel emissions for all fossil fuels is pretty appalling...

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I was at the independent mechanic where I get my EV & PHEV serviced at the other day, and he had a Model 3 sitting out the front. When questioned why it wasn't in the workshop, it turns out that a sensor/ widget of some sort was faulty (can't remember the exact details), but because Tesla doesn't have any dealer/ mechanic affiliations, they rely on flying in one of their techs from Sydney to carry out repairs when over the air updates don't do the trick. Because of the two week quarantine for all arrivals into Tasmania, they were refusing to send their tech down. However they weren't prepared to send in the part and let said mechanic do it either, despite the fact that he's an EV expert and it was a 15 minute job to swap it over. It's fair to say that if I was an owner of a $70K+ vehicle and the company weren't sorting out a simple warranty issue I would be somewhat headless...

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well to wheel emissions for all fossil fuels is pretty appalling...
Yep. Efficiency of an electric vehicle powered by coal is on par with the efficiency of a petrol engine that already has petrol in the tank. When you add all the energy and infrastructure of getting that fuel to the tank it is a no brainer.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I was at the independent mechanic where I get my EV & PHEV serviced at the other day, and he had a Model 3 sitting out the front. When questioned why it wasn't in the workshop, it turns out that a sensor/ widget of some sort was faulty (can't remember the exact details), but because Tesla doesn't have any dealer/ mechanic affiliations, they rely on flying in one of their techs from Sydney to carry out repairs when over the air updates don't do the trick. Because of the two week quarantine for all arrivals into Tasmania, they were refusing to send their tech down. However they weren't prepared to send in the part and let said mechanic do it either, despite the fact that he's an EV expert and it was a 15 minute job to swap it over. It's fair to say that if I was an owner of a $70K+ vehicle and the company weren't sorting out a simple warranty issue I would be somewhat headless...
Yeah, the Tesla approach to parts and service is pretty frustrating. I get the whole idea they want to retain control and hence reputation of their product, but I expect it to drive me nuts when i eventually get one...

The Rich Rebuilds youtube channel is a pretty entertaining insight into tesla parts and service world :) Maybe send his workshop an email and see if they have a part they will send the owner?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Yep. Efficiency of an electric vehicle powered by coal is on par with the efficiency of a petrol engine that already has petrol in the tank. When you add all the energy and infrastructure of getting that fuel to the tank it is a no brainer.
tell that to the murdoch media...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Very early model S has been sitting outside a local garage for weeks at a time over the last year and a bit. Diagnosed, gets part, works for a bit then something else fails. Seemingly vicious circle. I think they are waiting on a piece of Musk's foreskin now.