Electric Vehicles etc

Scotty T

Walks the walk
E30 4 cylinders were absolute tanks. They used those engines for F1 back in the batshit 1500hp turbo era and waited til the block had done 160,000km before re-using them for F1 - also left them outside for a year so they'd 'weather' appropriately prior to use.
Yep mine was the 318is M42. Still the new motor will be much better, 168Kw and 612Nm, 48kg and the size of a food dehydrator, it should make E30 M3's look a bit slow.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
you can see why California is concerned . On a still winter day the numbers of cars and the smog is incredible.
Nothing like New Delhi but that is hell, people cant breath , they cant use the airport.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
They would be better off concentrating on ways to avoid people driving ANY cars. Working from home and better public transport could reduce emissions far more than making new cars. The person that has an old car that rarely drives it is far less of an environmental vandal than someone that leases an EV and updates it every 3 years.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
They would be better off concentrating on ways to avoid people driving ANY cars. Working from home and better public transport could reduce emissions far more than making new cars. The person that has an old car that rarely drives it is far less of an environmental vandal than someone that leases an EV and updates it every 3 years.
Should be doing both.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
So we should only reduce vehicle use but allow those vehicles that do remain to continue to be ICE?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
No, we should listen to the science & implement policy that will give us this outcome:

Will allowing everyone to purchase an EV help or hinder us creating the outcome circled in green?

Petero

Likes Dirt
No, we should listen to the science & implement policy that will give us this outcome:

Will allowing everyone to purchase an EV help or hinder us creating the outcome circled in green?
Given that passenger vehicles contribute less than 10% of our emissions (Source: DoE 2014a; Treasury and DIICCSRTE 2013), EV vs. ICE will have a very minor impact on that trend.

INB4 - yes every little bit helps, just highlighting that the light passenger vehicle market is a very small part of the wider goal to reduce emissions.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
yes every little bit helps
How do we know that producing a whole lot of EVs to satisfy a private fleet of ownership will help with the pitch of the curve shown?

That's what I'm arguing - can anyone show some actual number that shows migrating the existing ICE fleet, on typical turnover numbers, will move the curve appropriately?

Haakon

How do we know that producing a whole lot of EVs to satisfy a private fleet of ownership will help with the pitch of the curve shown?

That's what I'm arguing - can anyone show some actual number that shows migrating the existing ICE fleet, on typical turnover numbers, will move the curve appropriately?
Of course it will move it. A bit - as mentioned, passenger cars are a relatively minor part of the issue. The big effort needs to be deforestation and primary energy use - electricity production. But the point is no sector should be focused on at the exclusion of others - they all need effort, at the same time. Some are nicely complementary which is handy though - eg EVs and replacing coal/gas with renewable electricity.

But I can just as easily flip the question and if you can show that it wont help?

Petero

Likes Dirt
I think I largely agree here, decided to see what I could find..

I don't think that it can be argued that lifecycle emissions from EV are less than that of ICE, but there are many varied reports from saying similar emissions to 2-3x less over the vehicle lifecycle.

Just had a look at the ABS figures - interestingly for the 5.74mil vehicles sold in the last 5 years, the number of registered vehicles has only increased 1.8mil in the same time period. So for roughly for each new vehicle purchased, 3 get de-registered..

Making the wild, baseless and probably inaccurate assumption that the trend continues, if all new vehicles purchased were EV's for the next 10 years, being ~11.5mil vehicles, and the total vehicle fleet increases at the same rate to 23.4mil, then ~50% of the national fleet will be EVs.

Using a lifecycle emissions reduction 2x that of ICE (so half), then total transport emissions have reduced 25%..

25% of 10% above is a 2.5% reduction in total emissions in 10 years time...

Again, largely baseless and full of wild assumptions and holes, but maybe an indication?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Yep.

The chart demands a reduction in emissions that can't be achieved if we simply replace ICE with EV at the same volume of vehicles.

We need to radically reduce the number of vehicles we have, and make those EVs.

Haakon

I think I largely agree here, decided to see what I could find..

I don't think that it can be argued that lifecycle emissions from EV are less than that of ICE, but there are many varied reports from saying similar emissions to 2-3x less over the vehicle lifecycle.

Just had a look at the ABS figures - interestingly for the 5.74mil vehicles sold in the last 5 years, the number of registered vehicles has only increased 1.8mil in the same time period. So for roughly for each new vehicle purchased, 3 get de-registered..

Making the wild, baseless and probably inaccurate assumption that the trend continues, if all new vehicles purchased were EV's for the next 10 years, being ~11.5mil vehicles, and the total vehicle fleet increases at the same rate to 23.4mil, then ~50% of the national fleet will be EVs.

Using a lifecycle emissions reduction 2x that of ICE (so half), then total transport emissions have reduced 25%..

25% of 10% above is a 2.5% reduction in total emissions in 10 years time...

Again, largely baseless and full of wild assumptions and holes, but maybe an indication?
Two things, EVs are markedly better the ICE over its manufacture and use for the typical life of a vehicle.

And dont look at Australia for your data - we are a regressive, small and largely irrelevant market. Look at global markets - they will tell you where we are headed given we are simply a consumer of automotive technology.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
EVs are markedly better the ICE over its manufacture and use for the typical life of a vehicle.
Quite agree it is much better to have a small ICE car repaired than buy a new EV every 3 years in yuppie style but new pure, not hybrid EVs, are much simpler mechanically and theoretically well made with replacement batteries could do 500,000 km someone has done > 1 million kms.
Also like solar panels on houses ,once someone has an EV they become much more aware of unnecessary driving and economy.