Electric Vehicles etc

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh, the roadster with the cold gas thrusters, yeah, that’s gunna be nuts. I’ll believe it when I see it though, that roadster has been a long time coming.

Minlak

custom titis
Oh, the roadster with the cold gas thrusters, yeah, that’s gunna be nuts. I’ll believe it when I see it though, that roadster has been a long time coming.
I believe the truck will start building in Texas when it comes online later this year and be in full production by next year

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I'd not heard of Bollinger before. What's with the 80's computer game styling?
It’s targeting the gap left by Land Rover replacing the Defender with a modern bubble car. Same idea as the Ineos Grenadier but electric. All about that boxy utilitarian vibe.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I think the model s plaid does 0-100 in 2.1 and the plaid+ due end of year does 0-100 in <2.1.
Both over 1000hp. Pretty insane 0-100 time for a 4 door saloon worth $220k. Gunna be a lot of egg starting to form on supercar manufactures faces in the next month or so who charge 3 times as much for slower 0-100 times. Granted, it ain’t all about acceleration, but still.
I dont know whether most e vehicles buyers being boomers or ethical millenials are really interested in that sort of acceleration.
The discussion boards are more about longevity ,efficiency and range.
High performance is more a bogan thing.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Said before but the performance of EVs is linked to aerodynamics so cars shaped like bricks wont be efficient.
I dont know whether most e vehicles buyers being boomers or ethical millenials are really interested in that sort of acceleration.
The discussion boards are more about longevity ,efficiency and range.
High performance is more a bogan thing.
Agreed. As the owner of a Gen 1 Leaf it produces mighty 80kW. Toyota Corolla levels of output. However because it produces max torque from zero RPM I can win the traffic light grand prix with ease, or slot into a passing position whenever needed. The engineers also paid a fair bit of attention to the aerodynamics, e.g. the bug eyed headlights actually serve a purpose in deflecting wind around the wing mirrors. Kinda surprised they didn't used aero wheel covers but there you go.

BKMad

Likes Dirt
It’s targeting the gap left by Land Rover replacing the Defender with a modern bubble car. Same idea as the Ineos Grenadier but electric. All about that boxy utilitarian vibe.
The cynic in me thinks they are a bunch of engineers with no idea on how to design a car so have ended up with a box because its easy. I read somewhere that they are classifying it as a commercial vehicle so that it doesn't need to comply with the safety requirements of normal cars.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
The cynic in me thinks they are a bunch of engineers with no idea on how to design a car so have ended up with a box because its easy. I read somewhere that they are classifying it as a commercial vehicle so that it doesn't need to comply with the safety requirements of normal cars.
Yes probably some truth in that - they're also building a cab chassis and a rolling chassis as base for light commercial options. Should say I've not followed it closely at all, just remember it being announced around the time that the old Defender ceased production and it was definitely pitched at a similar "gentleman farmer" aesthetic at the time. There are some benefits to the box shape though - super steep approach and departure (on the wagon body) angles as a result of short overhangs, and the squared-off bonnet provides additional storage with the "frunk" in lieu of an ICE engine though as above, clearly not remotely aerodynamic.

Full disclosure though, I also just like the aesthetic so I'll probably always find some BS that will justify it :p

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Seems to be we are trying to make EVs aspirational, not necessary.
Thats the initial plan. Use that market to build economies of scale and develop the technology, and flows into making cheap and everyday EVs.

Telephones started as an aspirational purchase....

BKMad

Likes Dirt
Yes probably some truth in that - they're also building a cab chassis and a rolling chassis as base for light commercial options. Should say I've not followed it closely at all, just remember it being announced around the time that the old Defender ceased production and it was definitely pitched at a similar "gentleman farmer" aesthetic at the time. There are some benefits to the box shape though - super steep approach and departure (on the wagon body) angles as a result of short overhangs, and the squared-off bonnet provides additional storage with the "frunk" in lieu of an ICE engine though as above, clearly not remotely aerodynamic.

Full disclosure though, I also just like the aesthetic so I'll probably always find some BS that will justify it :p
It does have some pretty cool design features (like the opening all the way through the vehicle for carrying long items) I just wish that they'd tried to consider aerodynamics and safety just a little bit. Still, I like the aesthetics more than the cybertruck