Electric Vehicles etc

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I think it is really hard to get the real figures on true cost of going electric, there are so many variables.
In this article they assume that the batteries would be recycled but that isn't going to happen everywhere. No sure if anyone does recycle EV batteries in Australia.
Also it rates the ICE car by the oil it burns, which I assume is the oil that goes into making either diesel or petrol, and this comparison doesn't account for where the electricity is generated to charge an EV as this will make a big difference.
I think the best thing for the environment is to reduce the amount of cars total not just keep increasing and just switching to electric.
Getting the full life out of your old ICE vehicle before upgrading to a new electric car is more beneficial too.

Stredda

This is the main reason I am a Tesla fan, no other company has done pure electric or even comitted properly to change. It just sucks that they don't do a stainless folded cyber car that's cheap
I did hear a rumor of a smaller Cybertruck for Europe that we may get too.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I think it is really hard to get the real figures on true cost of going electric, there are so many variables.
In this article they assume that the batteries would be recycled but that isn't going to happen everywhere. No sure if anyone does recycle EV batteries in Australia.
Also it rates the ICE car by the oil it burns, which I assume is the oil that goes into making either diesel or petrol, and this comparison doesn't account for where the electricity is generated to charge an EV as this will make a big difference.
I think the best thing for the environment is to reduce the amount of cars total not just keep increasing and just switching to electric.
Getting the full life out of your old ICE vehicle before upgrading to a new electric car is more beneficial too.
The way i read it is the 64% figure accounts for electricity to charge them. I'm putting a second hand motor and new battery pack into an ICE with 365k km on the clock, and will be charging with zero emissions electricity from the ACT, doesn't get much better than that. It's shit that the conversion market can't be made viable enough for large adoption.

Getting full life from your ICE still involves lots of emissions that increase as the car gets older too, we're on our last ICE car for sure, might be viable by the time we're done with it to convert using a drivetrain from a wreck but modern cars aren't like my old E30 which most things still worked perfectly except the motor after 350k km also making conversion less viable.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Only if you drive an ICE. If you just build an ICE & an EV & don't use either, the EV is worse.

EVs emit, that's something we all need to acknowledge. Buying EVs is emitting CO2. We need to build only a few!
But it nails the annoying dumb arguments that EVs are not at least an improvement.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
We need to fix CC, it can't be "improved".

[edit] Case in point:

Carbon emissions from passenger cars across Britain have fallen by just 1% since 2011, despite a steep rise in the sale of electric and hybrid vehicles, Whitehall’s spending watchdog has said.

The National Audit Office said the popularity of sports utility vehicles (SUVs) and an increase in road traffic were among factors that have cancelled out expected reductions from low-emission car sales.

Its report concludes that the government has a long way to go to achieve its target for almost all cars to emit no carbon by 2050.
I guess they will ignore the manufacturing emissions as always???

The whole shit show is a shit show.

Last edited:

Stredda

[edit] Case in point:

This is where, as I said before that we need to reduce the amount of cars overall (at least not add anymore) and not just keep increasing.
In city areas there needs to be a much more viable and user friendly public transport and/or ride share system.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
It's shit that the conversion market can't be made viable enough for large adoption.
Just too many things that cost. Also, there are a bunch of good safety related reasons for moving old cars out of the fleet, regardless of their powertrain.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur

[edit] Case in point:

Tax
Vehicles
Based
On
Kerbweight

Thereby fucking SUVs in the ear. If consumers want to be complete morons and buy them, they can pay and then pay some more.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Bring it on baby! Also $5-10 a litre petrol.
Wouldn't get too excited there turbo. EVs aren't the lightest vehicles going, and I'd like to see something especially vengeful taxwise for anything on the wrong side of 2 tonnes.

The idea (to me anyway) is it'd promote better designed and lighter vehicles with benefits to fuel / electricity consumption, consumables, tyres, brakes resources etc. etc.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Wouldn't get too excited there turbo. EVs aren't the lightest vehicles going, and I'd like to see something especially vengeful taxwise for anything on the wrong side of 2 tonnes.

The idea (to me anyway) is it'd promote better designed and lighter vehicles with benefits to fuel / electricity consumption, consumables, tyres, brakes resources etc. etc.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Have more of those hire car schemes whereby you hire over the phone and jump in. Every park spot has a charger and the fee is based on battery used. Also the time left to recharge affects its next availability on the app.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
How about a carbon tax full stop?
Pretty much. A carbon price would address manufacture and operation in one swoop. No more arguing which is better/worse, just pay the tax associated with the emissions.

On a side note, anyone in Vic got an EV - when do the taxes come into play? I always thought Toyota was weird not bringing a plug in to Aus market with our large proportion of home solar. They obviously had wind that this was coming and avoided the EV tax lol.

mark22

Likes Dirt
On cybertruck, I put a deposit in when Tesla offered it, and mates all said it's the ugliest thing one can ever make, and said i'm mad. Lol heck I care. The damn thing is so meaty, powerful, long lasting, and huge, and i don't give a shit what it looks like.

I actually like how it looks...
And the bullet proof glass proved a hit.