Electric Vehicles etc

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Only a Landcruiser in form and probably selected as no suspension mods would be required for the weight of the battery conversion, not going to be 'cruising the land' any distance in an underground dodgem that goes on charge twice a day.

Basically a city vehicle that drives around a site/plant with favourable emissions for underground use.
Also, current lithium chemistries of the usual suspects don’t like the vibrations seen off bitumen.

oodnadatta track corrugations might do in a few cells.

Vibration inducing capacity loss is one thing, letting the red devil out of cells is another all together.

Engineering solutions will be found in time.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Also, current lithium chemistries of the usual suspects don’t like the vibrations seen off bitumen.

Vibration inducing capacity loss is one thing, letting the red devil out of cells is another all together.

Good info !

The underground vehicles will be the only battery powered ones, all the whoopies for across site and checking pipelines etc will still be the old faithful diesel donks.

Saying that... $2.39 a litre tonight :(

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt

What about emtbs :eek:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
What about emtbs :eek:
Yep, same area of concern

I’ve plans for researching this area, take a bunch of cells, panasonic, Samsung, murata, carefully sort them into quality groups, pana and Samsung will fall into 8-10 groups, murata 2 ( it’s the old Sony chemistry).

Once sorted properly, split up, half of each group goes into a paint shaker style rig, others static. Shake the bejesus out of them while under discharge, and compare to their static mates. Over 500 or so charge/discharge cycles.

Anecdotally, I’ve seen reports of owners buying two identical packs, one used for the MTB, one for the flat bar commuter, and the flat bar bikes pack being discharged fully daily, with 2-3 times the cycle count, with more capacity then the MTB pack, so I will create a controlled experiment and hopefully make some discoveries. Higher discharge rates do make a significant difference, if the MTB is using 20Wh/km and the flat bar commuter is using 10Wh/km this alone can account for a massive portion of the difference, but I am beyond curious.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, same area of concern

I’ve plans for researching this area, take a bunch of cells, panasonic, Samsung, murata, carefully sort them into quality groups, pana and Samsung will fall into 8-10 groups, murata 2 ( it’s the old Sony chemistry).

Once sorted properly, split up, half of each group goes into a paint shaker style rig, others static. Shake the bejesus out of them while under discharge, and compare to their static mates. Over 500 or so charge/discharge cycles.

Anecdotally, I’ve seen reports of owners buying two identical packs, one used for the MTB, one for the flat bar commuter, and the flat bar bikes pack being discharged fully daily, with 2-3 times the cycle count, with more capacity then the MTB pack, so I will create a controlled experiment and hopefully make some discoveries. Higher discharge rates do make a significant difference, if the MTB is using 20Wh/km and the flat bar commuter is using 10Wh/km this alone can account for a massive portion of the difference, but I am beyond curious.
Interesting I have not seen anything about this noted in relation to EV's or EMTB's in general consumer stuff.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Interesting I have not seen anything about this noted in relation to EV's or EMTB's in general consumer stuff.
Here is a very recent article summarising the current state of affairs, fair bit has happened recently. Previous research I had read said something along the lines of this “lithium ion cells as used in modern EV’s, subjected to simulated on road vibrations, as typically found in Europe, shows cell capacity degradation is predominantly attributed to cycle count, and not vibrations, by an order of magnitude difference. Off road level of vibrations and their contributions to capacity depredations are not yet known and warrant further research”

I’m going to work on the MTB specific research, with an eye to setting up for repacking batteries.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

Mount the battery in a water bath for two way damping!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I wonder if "can be used on existing...trucks" will work as well as converting heavy diesels to LPG (ie: frequent, unscheduled engine rebuilds). I do think these synthetic fuels will be valuable for future heavy vehicle applications, but remain skeptical about the compatibility with existing vehicles/engines.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I wonder if "can be used on existing...trucks" will work as well as converting heavy diesels to LPG (ie: frequent, unscheduled engine rebuilds). I do think these synthetic fuels will be valuable for future heavy vehicle applications, but remain skeptical about the compatibility with existing vehicles/engines.
They are not like converting to LPG, this is a chemically identical fuel that has to meet existing fuel quality standards. You might tell the difference in extended oil changes as its a more "pure" fuel, but otherwise it behaves the same.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Aviation is the best example - you can be very very assured that engine performance and longevity is considered for commercial aviation! But it has been approved as a drop in replacement afaik.